What's new

My Guess... 3017

what's the current favorite big synth brush?
Now that I'm head shaving my small ones ain't cutting it.

The Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is big and about the best synthetic that I've used. I also have a custom Rudy Vey with a 25 mm Mühle knot that is also excellent. I think Rudy may have even larger knots as well (including new Shavemac synths??).

If you want big for head shaving, Razorock sells at least two 34 mm synthetics.
The Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is big and about the best synthetic that I've used. I also have a custom Rudy Vey with a 25 mm Mühle knot that is also excellent. I think Rudy may have even larger knots as well (including new Shavemac synths??).
thanks!

I decided to go cheap. (Shocker)
the AP Shave Co Synbad seems to get good reviews. I liked the look of the Yaqi brushes on WCS, but all are too tall for my limited cabinet space.
Went for this one instead. 30mm.
proxy.php

Calling it done with a sample of Soap Commander Honor. 19 shaves out of it, pretty good for a sample. I would buy Soap Commander again, except for the decade of soaps I have in my closet...... Using only synthetic brushes probably helps too. Next up tomorrow is a partial Palmolive shave stick, about an inch or less worth.

2 shaves in on Haslinger Seaweed and its preferred over Sandalwood. Seems slicker and hasn't caused irritation. I soaked it overnight and pressed into an old MW tub then attacked it viciously with my biggest badger.
If only it had a little scent...

D6AEC5C3-FBD1-41C0-9A88-628EAEB868BB.jpeg
Here’s another Haslinger issue. It’s going into a small ramekin. Great soap. Smells like the soap base rather than coconut. And it fractured. Looks like it needs a bowl to stay better hydrated.

I’m coming up on the end of my puck of Jermyn Street. I’ve been overloading during this last run with it, and will have gotten 5 solid months from it. Good value and excellent performance. The pure badgers have really taken a bite from it. Maybe a week or 2 left.

With that said, I have no idea what to go with next. Help me pick!

Trumpers Violet
Trumpers Rose
DR Harris Windsor
Vintage Wrisley
C&E Sweet Almond Oil
AOS Lavender, tallow
AOS Unscented, tallow
Penhaligon's Sartorial
Ogallala Bay Rum
Taconic Bay Rum
L'Occitane Cade
BebeLush Bay Rum
Pre de Provence 63
Musgo Real
Hershey Cocoa Butter
SCS Refined

B2981351-D0C7-4DBD-8642-06EBF939234D.jpeg
It is a small puck.

Hershey Cocoa Butter. It just sounds like it should be dispatched quickly so you can move on to greater things. I have no experience with this soap, but I feel as though a cocoa butter soap would not perform as well as the others on the list. This kind of thinking is why I will never make it to Manantiales before I expire.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, I had a senior moment and lost track of what I was doing. :001_huh:

As far as what to 3017 next, I'm having a hard time deciding as well. I decided not to do another shave stick since I just spent 3 or 4 months with them. Full blown Autumn weather is still a couple weeks away so I've been knocking back and forth between Palmolive menthol cream and MdC Agrumes. Both fine products.

Maybe I'll give it another week or two. Perhaps the cooler weather will inspire me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All of you 3017ers are so much stronger than I will ever be. I would have thought Arko August would have encouraged me to try using it until it got used up, but alas, as much as I love Arko, I couldn't wait to move onto another one. You guys are all my heroes!!

I’m coming up on the end of my puck of Jermyn Street. I’ve been overloading during this last run with it, and will have gotten 5 solid months from it. Good value and excellent performance. The pure badgers have really taken a bite from it. Maybe a week or 2 left.

With that said, I have no idea what to go with next. Help me pick!

Trumpers Violet
Trumpers Rose
DR Harris Windsor
Vintage Wrisley
C&E Sweet Almond Oil
AOS Lavender, tallow
AOS Unscented, tallow
Penhaligon's Sartorial
Ogallala Bay Rum
Taconic Bay Rum
L'Occitane Cade
BebeLush Bay Rum
Pre de Provence 63
Musgo Real
Hershey Cocoa Butter
SCS Refined

Go with the Taconic, if it is like mine was it'll join you in the shower. One and done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13-15 shaves on the Speick men Active (Its a vegan base). Really enjoying the scent and its providing a good amount of cushion. It is slightly lacking from residual slickness but that could be because before this I was using the Saponificio Bignoli and the slickness on that was incredible.

Something quick after 5months of one. Ogallala?

I'd definitely like to make faster progress on these. Is Ogallala a pretty quick puck to use up?

Hershey Cocoa Butter. It just sounds like it should be dispatched quickly so you can move on to greater things. I have no experience with this soap, but I feel as though a cocoa butter soap would not perform as well as the others on the list. This kind of thinking is why I will never make it to Manantiales before I expire.

This is a vintage soap and there is very little data out there on its performance. Maybe it's time to put it through its paces. On the Manantiales, I would break it out and use it a few times. It's glorious.

You’ve got 2 Trumpers and 2 AoS. I’d say knock out one of the Trumpers followed by one of the AoS.

I've been thinking about this. I love the Trumper Rose scent (Violet, too, but not as much in the soap form), but performance is fair to middling.

Go with the Taconic, if it is like mine was it'll join you in the shower. One and done.

I should say that I tried the taconic for a week before giving up on it.

If I'm honest, that's not the most ringing endorsement. :wink:

13-15 shaves on the Speick men Active (Its a vegan base). Really enjoying the scent and its providing a good amount of cushion. It is slightly lacking from residual slickness but that could be because before this I was using the Saponificio Bignoli and the slickness on that was incredible.

Speick is on my must try someday lost.

Top Bottom