What's new

Best Straight you ever shaved with?

So I went down the rabbit hole hard. I thought I had to have everything. Filarmonica, Iwasaki, Wade And Butcher, and others that I thought I had to have. Guess what I have sold all those. No it was not the honing Max did all my razors. Don’t buy what people say. Buy what you like. What feels great to shave with. Don’t buy it because it looks great on your shave of the day. I have learned a lot from this forum and continue to. My CV Heljestrand, Bengall, Bismarck, Gens, Kikuboshi Supreme, ALCOSO-Solingen, Japanese Tiger and Japanese Hikari straight razors are my favorites. If I had to pick just one it would be my Bengall.

Guess what? It is the cheapest razor I have bought. I had to wait a year to find it. I’m happy I did.

Just my two cents. :a6::a52:

Pick just one? No way.

Love my Frederick Reynolds, my Wm. Greaves, my Taylor's, my Dorko, and my Henkels.

That doesn't stop me from watching and waiting for a Wacker and a Fili to add to the list...

My best shaver? One of my Iwasaki razors, but I have plenty that are a very close second, a CVH 31 and 32, a Dorko, several of my Japanese blades, JA Hellberg, Klas Törnblom, Filarmnica, a Wacker, Sàndor Jenes, Tim Zowada, and others. I also enjoy my very first straight, a Hart Steel, and I'd be a lot wealthier if I'd just stuck with that one.

I currently have 10 straights. All of them have given me excellent shaves. There seems to be much more variability in my shaving technique and how I honed the razors than in the razors themselves. My favorite is my Koraat but just because of tactile and aesthetic reasons.

Please define best, best in my taste or best meaning the razor that performs really good but that still is user friendly?
If I start with my personal favourite it still is the Heljestrand M.K. No.32 it's not what I'd call forgiving though, I'd even saythat there might live an evil spirit in every 32.
Most user friendly and forgiving razor. I'd say any Heljestrand 5/8 full hollow, that includes the M.K. No.31, OR any Henckels Friodur, very fine razors that almost shaves without guidance.

Edit: I'm extremely fond of myTörnblom shoulderless razors too.

Yeah this is a tough one...being that I am partial to 5/8 razors (ease of use) I’d say the razors I reach for most often a Genco Master Cutler (I love the grind on this) and my Geneva pyramid 12, a mk7 or mk31, Filarmonica 12. Like I said this is hard to many razors haha

My best shaver? One of my Iwasaki razors, but I have plenty that are a very close second, a CVH 31 and 32, a Dorko, several of my Japanese blades, JA Hellberg, Klas Törnblom, Filarmnica, a Wacker, Sàndor Jenes, Tim Zowada, and others. I also enjoy my very first straight, a Hart Steel, and I'd be a lot wealthier if I'd just stuck with that one.
Not saying just stick to one, just don’t fall into the rabbit hole

Please define best, best in my taste or best meaning the razor that performs really good but that still is user friendly?
If I start with my personal favourite it still is the Heljestrand M.K. No.32 it's not what I'd call forgiving though, I'd even saythat there might live an evil spirit in every 32.
Most user friendly and forgiving razor. I'd say any Heljestrand 5/8 full hollow, that includes the M.K. No.31, OR any Henckels Friodur, very fine razors that almost shaves without guidance.

Edit: I'm extremely fond of myTörnblom shoulderless razors too.
Arne, you are really making me want to acquire a Henckels Friodur. My Rad is bad enough already :07:

I've only got 5 shave ready straights so far, and all of them are vintage - a Boker 6/8 hollow, Case Temperite 5/8 near wedge, Genco Henry's XX 5/8 hollow, and Shumate Barber 11/16 hollow. The Boker 6/8 is my best shaver, although all of these razors perform wonderfully, and I just got a great shave with the Shumate. It certainly gives the Boker a run for its money!

This one always delivers. I love the size, soft Sheffield steel, horn scales, and it has just the right grind. It is also very easy to hone and get a great edge. It was also my least expensive razor.

20190903_132712.jpg

This one is a very close second.

ArSSRUs.jpg

Hmmm. I think my answer is this. My best razor is the one I have in my hand during a shave, it's the only one I care about at the moment. It was the same with my DE of which I have a couple of what I consider higher end. My straights are not high end and fancy they are honed on lapping film and I am happy with the ones I have either purchased and restored or gifted by a member here (only one) the shaves I get are very comfortable and affordable due to the film, and learning what I have from the forum and watching videos. So what's my best razor "The one I have in my hand at the time of the shave."

My very favorite razors are my Thiers Issard historicals. They were supposedly lead hardened and made in the 1920's but that may just be marketing lure.

They are full hollows and yet shave like wedges. Very smooth and comfortable.

Chris

Man, it’s like each one of my straights has its own personality that corresponds with a mood. Which makes picking a couple tough! I really like many, but if I had to pick a couple... well if I had to pick a couple, it would be one of my CV Heljestrand‘s and my first, my Dovo “Best.”

But I only know that because I fell down a very long rabbit hole once lol.

Top Bottom