What's new

Feather artist club SS straight razor tips

Hey everyone I’m getting my Feather SS non-folding in tomorrow. I’ve never used a straight razor before but I’ve been using Saftey razors for a while with no problems. I would like some advice and tips. Also I need a new brush and would like some recommendations on that as well as the best shave cream or gel for this feather.

Congratulations! The Feather SS is a great razor!

I hope you remembered to buy blades for it.

Just take it slowly. Keep the blade angled at about a 30 degree angle and always try to keep sight of where you are shaving. It’ll take a lot of practice to get the good shaves you get with your other safety razors, but I’ll happen eventually! Open blade razors are very satisfying to master.

What brush and soaps are you using currently? Most will work just fine for open blades, you just need the lather a little slicker.

Thanks for tips GearNoir! Also yes I bought the Feather Pro guard blades. I’m using a travel sized Art of shaving brush, I use Proraso green or Cremo .

I feel I must strongly DISagree with the advice given above. Sorry to say that.

I advise keeping the razor as flat as possible on your face, especially with the Pro blades. Pretend you're tickling your face with a real Feather, such is the lightness of touch you will want. Or imagine you are just trying to scoop lather only from your face.

I would actually recommend a traditional straight razor with a round point for your entry into straight razor shaving. The Artist Club blades are around an order of magnitude more sharp than a typical straight razor, and therefor far less forgiving.

As for lather, I recommend lathering the same way you would for a DE. Slicker lather works better for a traditional SR IMHO.

I began with the Feather DX after first learning to shave with a traditional straight. I found the learning curve to be much higher with the shavette, as it is much less forgiving. I prefer the shavette now, mostly because I have had so much practice.

I advise keeping the razor as flat as possible on your face, especially with the Pro blades.

Normally that’s true, but remember the Feather SS naturally takes a higher angle than just about any other shavette because of the bump. I simply guessed it to be about 30 degrees.

He’s already got the Feather incoming, so why both suggesting something else? I actually started with a suggested kit that had a 5/8ths round point SR, professionally honed. I very soon, in less than 30 shaves, began playing with the Feather SS and enjoyed the experience way more. Looking back, I wish I had started out with the Feather, the beginner kit was a waste of money for me. I now only use the Feather, or a recently added Weck, if I want an open blade shave.

Thanks for tips GearNoir! Also yes I bought the Feather Pro guard blades. I’m using a travel sized Art of shaving brush, I use Proraso green or Cremo .

As you can see, there is plenty of room for individuality of method for open blade shaving as for DE shaving. It’s really up to you to find what works, we can only provide what worked for us.

For a brush change, you might want to try a Razorock or Yaqi synthetic brush. They’re pretty cheap and well performing.

For new soaps (not that could couldn’t use a demo if you wanted) think about some scents you might enjoy, then find the company or artisan that makes something along those lines. There’s literally just about any scent you can imagine out there...some artisans are even willing to make custom scented soaps if you ask.

I really appreciate y’alls feedback, just got it in an hour ago. I will check out those brushes Gear. This thing reminds me of Bob Ross putting highlights on his paintings with his paint knife. He’d always say “ No pressure, absolutely No pressure. “ Also I like the comparison You made Aussie to tickling with a feather, thank you for that.

I really appreciate y’alls feedback, just got it in an hour ago. I will check out those brushes Gear. This thing reminds me of Bob Ross putting highlights on his paintings with his paint knife. He’d always say “ No pressure, absolutely No pressure. “ Also I like the comparison You made Aussie to tickling with a feather, thank you for that.

You'll figure it out. I never cut myself with my folding Feather SS. First time I laid the blade flat and adjusted as needed. If you go with too high an angle, you'll get tugging and think the blade is dull. There is a bit of push required for a bare blade. At first it makes you a bit uncomfortable, but over time, about a week, the muscle memory will set it nicely.

This Feather was awesome! I was kind of nervous at first because I have never used a straight razor before, but I got a great shave from this thing. I was using the Feather Pro guard blades, I only had one little weeper under my lip in the chin area, other than that smooth shave. I started the shave with extreme caution but managed to build a good pace. I did 2 passes with grain and across grain. It was very satisfying to use, definitely my new go too. Also Proraso Green didn’t work to well when I took my first few strokes so I washed off and used Cremo Bourbon scented cream, way slicker and smoother.

This Feather was awesome! I was kind of nervous at first because I have never used a straight razor before, but I got a great shave from this thing. I was using the Feather Pro guard blades, I only had one little weeper under my lip in the chin area, other than that smooth shave. I started the shave with extreme caution but managed to build a good pace. I did 2 passes with grain and across grain. It was very satisfying to use, definitely my new go too. Also Proraso Green didn’t work to well when I took my first few strokes so I washed off and used Cremo Bourbon scented cream, way slicker and smoother.

Sounds like you did much better than me your first shave. Took me forever to master it. But once I did, there’s nothing like it. Particularly with heavy growth. A few tips which you may have already figured out. But they’ll be even more important when you go guard less (and you should!).
I do use an angle with the blade closest to my face as possible. Just a tad of separation from the top of the razor

Stretch the skin. More important than with DEs.

As and experienced DE shaveI thought I knew what a light touch was. I did not.
As someone said earlier, like tickling your face with a feather.

Are use slightly less scented soaps as they tend to be on the face longer. I just find less irritation that way. I also like the lather a little more wet or slick van with de shaving

Going without the guard. I too started with the pro guard blades. They really helped me learn. But switching to the guard less really made a big difference. Way-more nicks and cuts than I ever got with the guarded. But it was definitely worth it once I practiced. I even use the pro super now.

I still think the feather SS system is the pinnacle of shaving. Takes time to learn, but it provides the smoothest closest shape I get from any system. I only use when I have a few days growth, but there is nothing like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally that’s true, but remember the Feather SS naturally takes a higher angle than just about any other shavette because of the bump. I simply guessed it to be about 30 degrees.

He’s already got the Feather incoming, so why both suggesting something else? I actually started with a suggested kit that had a 5/8ths round point SR, professionally honed. I very soon, in less than 30 shaves, began playing with the Feather SS and enjoyed the experience way more. Looking back, I wish I had started out with the Feather, the beginner kit was a waste of money for me. I now only use the Feather, or a recently added Weck, if I want an open blade shave.

Perhaps you are correct about the best angle for the SS. I will check and see next time I use it. I recall using a higher angle when learning with the DX and getting serious razor burn. So let me adjust that advice for now to the flattest possible angle whatever that might be.

I recommended a traditional SR for learning because I find them far more forgiving of technique on account of the huge difference in sharpness.

Everyone's advice helped me tremendously, Im looking forward to trying the pro blades. I would appreciate some recommendations on Traditional Straight Razors.

Everyone's advice helped me tremendously, Im looking forward to trying the pro blades. I would appreciate some recommendations on Traditional Straight Razors.

If you want to learn to hone and use a straight, find a mentor. @steveclarkus is my mentor and friend as well.

3M films are the most straight forward progression for sharping a straight razor. That said, if you decide to use a tone progression, many here can help.

Diamond paste spread on a piece of balsa has the potential of refining a SR blade close to that of an Artist Club blade.

@GearNoir I checked my angle with the SS and it appears higher than I thought, but not quite thirty degrees. It begins around fifteen degrees and is around ten degrees for the second ATG pass.

I feel I must strongly DISagree with the advice given above. Sorry to say that.

I advise keeping the razor as flat as possible on your face, especially with the Pro blades. Pretend you're tickling your face with a real Feather, such is the lightness of touch you will want. Or imagine you are just trying to scoop lather only from your face.

I would actually recommend a traditional straight razor with a round point for your entry into straight razor shaving. The Artist Club blades are around an order of magnitude more sharp than a typical straight razor, and therefor far less forgiving.

As for lather, I recommend lathering the same way you would for a DE. Slicker lather works better for a traditional SR IMHO.

I began with the Feather DX after first learning to shave with a traditional straight. I found the learning curve to be much higher with the shavette, as it is much less forgiving. I prefer the shavette now, mostly because I have had so much practice.

Totally agree! I stress that the A S S feather is the most technical demanding razor. And even strong experience want save you from drawing blood with very tiny angle, speed and pressure failures.
Better straight razors.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Totally agree! I stress that the A S S feather is the most technical demanding razor. And even strong experience want save you from drawing blood with very tiny angle, speed and pressure failures.
Better straight razors.

Actually I find the DX more demanding. I am lucky enough to have both.

Actually I find the DX more demanding. I am lucky enough to have both.

Yes the DX doesn’t have the horizontal bump has the A S S that provides more security when cutting I Think also more closeness stretching the skin. That why I didn’t bought the very beautiful Kai.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I have far more experience with the DX style than the SS style, but my take is that they both should be held at about the same angle. Both held nearly flat as possible while still being able to cut close. Letting the bump of the SS push down the skin behind the leading edge to assist with skin stretching, not to necessarily change the shave angle. But there is more difference when shaving areas like the cheeks versus the jawline with less soft tissue underneath, so it is not exactly the same.

But more important than some specific angle is a light touch.

Top Bottom