What's new

Another Rotten wood Handle on the lathe

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have been playing with this shape and
I'm thinking that it is final shape.
I load up my brushes from a bowl and not the puck or container that the soap comes in.
I will take a small dollup out and put it in the bottom of the bowl and then make my lather
Between face and bowl.
Still on my lathe and waiting for me to finish
So this shape work's for me.
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190705105930608.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190705110017088.jpg

That looks great. Some of the lines in the Spalding are so straight it looks like a multi piece glue up, especially that patch of different color on the left side in the second picture.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My (VERY limited) experience with spalted maple is that it is kind of "punky." Isn't it hard to turn without it just blowing up?

My (VERY limited) experience with spalted maple is that it is kind of "punky." Isn't it hard to turn without it just blowing up?
You need to keep the tools sharp. I have some spalted bowls that were challenging, but well worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very nice Steve. I still can’t get over how lucky you got with that tree, it’s a woodturner’s dream!

I’ve wondered the same thing. Due to the nature of spalting it tends to be punky or at least very weak. I’ve turned spalted maple but it’s always been stabilized.

FarmerTan

Very nice Steve. I still can’t get over how lucky you got with that tree, it’s a woodturner’s dream!

I’ve wondered the same thing. Due to the nature of spalting it tends to be punky or at least very weak. I’ve turned spalted maple but it’s always been stabilized.
Okay, now I'm intrigued.... stabilized? Magic maybe?

Graydog

Biblical Innards

What I have found that works for me is I make a basic shape and then I use medium thickness CA and really run it in good the I use quick spray and then sand it down to raw wood and do it all again. Then I will finish the shape and sand and about 12 coats of CA go on .
The medium CA penetrates the wood and fills up any voids which takes care of any punky stuff. Seems to work well for me.
Not all of the spalted veins are soft .

FarmerTan

What I have found that works for me is I make a basic shape and then I use medium thickness CA and really run it in good the I use quick spray and then sand it down to raw wood and do it all again. Then I will finish the shape and sand and about 12 coats of CA go on .
The medium CA penetrates the wood and fills up any voids which takes care of any punky stuff. Seems to work well for me.
Not all of the spalted veins are soft .
Your patience amazes me. THAT is why you turn and I just contemplate it. Again, excellent work.

FarmerTan

Send me a knot and I will send you a brush my Friend. I have few sitting here drilled out for a 26mm knot .
Oh my. I will get on this before you change your mind! But I will have to contemplate the bristle type...

Okay, now I'm intrigued.... stabilized? Magic maybe?

Submerged in what I believe is methacrylate resin (Cactus Juice and other brands) under vacuum until all the air is removed from the voids & cells of the wood. The vacuum is removed and the resin fills the voids/cells while the wood remains submerged for several hours. I like to put it in a pressure pot overnight although that may not be necessary, but it can’t hurt. It’s then baked to cure and is effectively a wood and resin blank at that point.

FarmerTan

Submerged in what I believe is methacrylate resin (Cactus Juice and other brands) under vacuum until all the air is removed from the voids & cells of the wood. The vacuum is removed and the resin fills the voids/cells while the wood remains submerged for several hours. I like to put it in a pressure pot overnight although that may not be necessary, but it can’t hurt. It’s then baked to cure and is effectively a wood and resin blank at that point.
Okay! I believe I saw a guy on u tub use a vac thingamabob for manufacturing his own airplane body parts....

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Steve, you are killing us with your beautiful handles.

Thanks so much for the kind words:)

I have a lot of wood to choose from so if I find something that's to punky I find another one.
I am really looking for color and veins right
I have some curly crotch grain coming up soon that will probably look nice . I have found some nice bowl blanks too.

Top Bottom