shavefan

I’m not a fan

Yup. Or this...

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 7.10.56 PM.png

• External car radio antennae.
Lots around here.
They're just stubbier.
Hats [emoji145]
Wish i had been born in a different era.
Are you doing your part by wearing them?
Ball caps don't count.
Ball caps worn backwards earn you negative points.
Which leads me to another: console TV's! I loved those. Any of you folks that have been to Frankenmuth, Michigan will remember Zehnder's restaurant. They have an old console TV with a few old couches and chairs sitting around it. Last week we were there again, and the picture was phenomenal. Upon closer examination, someone had replaced the old tube with a flat screen, very cleverly done I might add. I have the War Department's permission to scour through people's garbage on pickup day to see if I can find one.
Look for an appropriate TV lamp to put on top of it.
proxy.php

I found an old reel mower when I was hauling metal off of someone's property about 14 years ago. I was trying to make make a few bucks at the scrap yard. It seemed to function okay (pretty worn) but the blades are completely worn. When I get a place with a yard (Lord willing) I'll have to sharpen those blades and give a real test run.
I found a Washburn X-10 guitar by the side of the road, very much like this one:
proxy.php

Except mine was missing a knob and the whammy bar, and the neck mounting screws were completely stripped out so that the neck was bent forward by 20 degrees.
I hoped at least to recover the pickups, but with some carpenters glue and slivers of wood to replace missing splinters, it was good to go. With no whammy bar I chose to wedge the tremolo block.
There's treasure to be found everywhere.

79F23375-9B72-4DA0-B272-538D2948B21C.jpeg

There was one of there laying in the street my crew was working on one day. 3 of the guys (all in their mid to late 20s at the time) had absolutely no idea what it was. They also didn’t quite believe that oil actually came in a can, not a pour bottle at one time.

@John Rose
A wedged whammy should give you more sustain anyway, right?
And nice find! Still got it?
Yes, and yes.
It's quicker to tune up and easier to bend notes.
I've replaced the shiny Telecaster-type knob with a pair of vintage black Bakelite radio knobs, and I've got a new 5-way switch to go into it, because the existing one has a broken spring that is supposed to make it go "click" in the 5 positions.

For those who are mystified, "blocking" or "wedging" a tremolo bridge block on a Stratocaster-style guitar looks like this:
(see reddish wood blocks on the right)
proxy.php

It's a non-permanent mod that immobilizes the bridge, and it's easily undone if you decide to get a whammy bar for it in the future.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
View attachment 996377

There was one of there laying in the street my crew was working on one day. 3 of the guys (all in their mid to late 20s at the time) had absolutely no idea what it was. They also didn’t quite believe that oil actually came in a can, not a pour bottle at one time.

Wow . . . and pop came in tins without tabs.

Sliced cheese came in packages that were sealed with some sort of sticky wax . . not individually wrapped . . . you had to carefully peel them off of each other and yes it was not perfect . . . the corners would get crusty.

When you went to the store and bought bananas there was a man in the produce department who would use a marker to write the price on the skin of one of the bunch you picked.

And then . . . everybody had their payday on Friday so everybody did their grocery shopping Friday evening . . . more or less. . . so big baskets of groceries and there were Car orders. Paper bags filled and put in bins on roller belts and you were given a ticket so you could get in your car and drive up to a door . . . present your ticket and they would load your stuff into your trunk.

Wow . . . and pop came in tins without tabs.

Sliced cheese came in packages that were sealed with some sort of sticky wax . . not individually wrapped . . . you had to carefully peel them off of each other and yes it was not perfect . . . the corners would get crusty.

When you went to the store and bought bananas there was a man in the produce department who would use a marker to write the price on the skin of one of the bunch you picked.

And then . . . everybody had their payday on Friday so everybody did their grocery shopping Friday evening . . . more or less. . . so big baskets of groceries and there were Car orders. Paper bags filled and put in bins on roller belts and you were given a ticket so you could get in your car and drive up to a door . . . present your ticket and they would load your stuff into your trunk.
Now we have self service check out. :frown2:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 996377

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know where mine got off to.

I used to be a sacker in the local grocery store when I was a kid...back when they used paper bags. Cans go on the bottom, not the bread.

We finally got rid of our old TV that weighed a ton and a quarter, along with a digital converter. The War Department wouldn't approve of the expenditure, so when her rich mother bought a bigger one we got her old one.
Which leads me to another: console TV's! I loved those. Any of you folks that have been to Frankenmuth, Michigan will remember Zehnder's restaurant. They have an old console TV with a few old couches and chairs sitting around it. Last week we were there again, and the picture was phenomenal. Upon closer examination, someone had replaced the old tube with a flat screen, very cleverly done I might add. I have the War Department's permission to scour through people's garbage on pickup day to see if I can find one. I surely married up!
Frankenmuth, MI = St. Julian/Paw Paw Wineries we used to buy a Solara aged wine.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
View attachment 996377

Going back even further, I can remember my dad buying oil from bulk barrels at Montgomery-Ward's. It was BYOB, and you'd set your bottle under the spigot of the drum (which sat upright) containing the grade of your choice; then you'd take what you needed using a coffee-grinder type pump. That's the little I recollect, as this was about 1949-50.

Swedes are usually very early when it comes to adapting to new technology. It was years since I last saw cash. Almost all transactions are made with cards or telephone apps. Come to think about it is kind of scary that cash that was the standard way of paying for hundreds of years just vanished in a couple of years.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Growing up out in the country there was a big dairy farm near us, I remember going there with my mom to get milk. There was a spigot that ran down to near the main road and allowed you to fill your own ga. container with milk. And a bucket that you threw a quarter in. The honor system. I can't imagine anything like that is around today.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Amen. Foreign concept to my son's generation.

If you don't see it anymore, then it's obviously not just your son's generation that's the issue. Perhaps, your son's generation never learned it because no one taught it with leading by example.

Just some food for thought.

Growing up out in the country there was a big dairy farm near us, I remember going there with my mom to get milk. There was a spigot that ran down to near the main road and allowed you to fill your own ga. container with milk. And a bucket that you threw a quarter in. The honor system. I can't imagine anything like that is around today.

I see stuff like this quite a bit still. I live in a small city just outside of Lansing, MI. There are plenty of farms in the surrounding area. It's not uncommon to see produce and egg stands near the roads at the foot of farmer's driveways. It's almost always a stand or table with the produce and a little box for money with no one accompanying it.

I imagine that milk you would drink straight from the dairy farm tasted better than anything in a jug or carton today.

Top Bottom