What's new

Looking for new brush

so I have a 7 brushes ( some expensive some cheap) and I’ve noticed I LOVE smaller, Very soft tips on the face however nothing to floppy. I really like badger but don’t mind synthetic . My questions is , are there any must have recommendations ? Also should I spent $75 and get three brushes to try or get one really nice brush for $75?? I also lather in the bowl .

Thanks guys,

That's a tough category. If a brush is small it either tends to be floppy or very stiff. For example, the Maggard 22mm synthetic is very floppy but soft. My Omega 10075 is small, stiff, and scritchy. I would say the Yaqi Sagrada Familia is closest to what you're looking for. It's a small brush but it's got enough backbone for me and the tuxedo knot is pretty soft.

As for the second Q, I would say get three brushes that are well respected in the community. Don't get whatever that's out there but get good known brands like Yaqi, Stirling, Semogue, Omega, etcs. I love all my value brushes and they serve a good purpose for the average joe's out there.

Thanks for the advice !! It doesn’t have to be very small, I just don’t have a huge face hahah

Might look at Simpsons Duke 3 or something in the Fifty series in best badger. It's a little above your target price range but various retailers run sales from time to time that would make it pretty close.

Another option is to watch BST for an artisan brush as their knots are pretty darn good. Turn n Shave tip knots, That Darn Rob Fanchurian and Elite Razor knots are all very good performers for lower cost.

I have a yaqi 24 , an Edwin jagger silver tip, a Kent -bk-8, a semogue OC, a pur blaireau and a razorock hulk.

I love my Edwin jagger and Kent , feeling wise but the Kent is very wide . I like boar because they seem to stay very warm . I don’t mind spending good money in just one brush instead of a variety however maybe a variety may suit me better ??

Last edited:
You & I are very similar in our brush preferences. I've tried a few 26mm since the larger the better is the mantra of some, & that's fine for them. But I really like my 20mm - 24mm, with 22mm being my sweet spot. I've got several I really like, 22mm Rooney silvertip, 24mm Shavemac silvertip, 24mm TGN 2 band. I'm just getting into synthetics & have so far really enjoyed the Fine 20mm synthetic & my newest acquisition, a Muhle 22mm synthetic silvertip. Please let me know what you end up getting, I'll be curious to hear your reviews.

I’m having more of a hard time going for one amazing brush or a few cheaper brushes to test out . It’s a difficult decision. A lot of great recommendations here

My SOC Mistura (mixed badger/boar) would probably suit you very well. I have the old model from several years back. It's smaller than the new Mistura, 22 mm vs. 24. Still, you might want to look a the new one; I've heard good things about it.

I prefer 22-24 mm knots for face lathering, so somewhat similar to your tastes. Some of the Simpsons options worth considering: Duke 2, Classic 2, Chubby 1 or Fifty-series. :a14::a14:

I think I’m going to try out the SOC mistura and also some WC rushes to see different styles . I will be sure to leave a review

i would go to Etsy and look at either Rich Hansen brushes or Langley City Shave Shop( i own 5 of their brushes) their tolerances are amazing.
read their reviews because def some of the most beautiful well built brushes in the industry.

My brushes will arrive today, I will post some pics and reviews throughout the week if anyone is Interested . Thanks guys !

Here are my three brush choices that arrived today:

-Yaqi R1730 Sagrada familia tuxedo synthetic
-Semogie mistura badger & boar cherrywood
-WCS pure badger tortoise

I must say upon initial inspection , they all feel GREAT in there own respective ways !!! I can’t wait to try them out and will report back over the next three days with reviews . Thanks guys for all the help !!

7FB0B106-14EF-4C66-A9C2-BDE3F6465B24.jpeg

Wow, I can’t believe how nice the SOC is!! It’s very firm to the touch but once you let it soak in hot water it really softens up rather nice , yet has a strong backbone and great scrubbing action. The tips are on the firmer side right now , but I can see how nice it is going to soften up . The cherrywood handle is nice and heavy but not overdone at all. The brush overall is a great size for me and builds a huge lather!!! Very nice scrubbing action on the face and has an overall great feel to it . So far I would rate this brush rather highly , although it did shed a bit already. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this brush to anyone looking for something like I was for size, feel and most importantly action.

Here are my three brush choices that arrived today:

-Yaqi R1730 Sagrada familia tuxedo synthetic
-Semogie mistura badger & boar cherrywood
-WCS pure badger tortoise

I must say upon initial inspection , they all feel GREAT in there own respective ways !!! I can’t wait to try them out and will report back over the next three days with reviews . Thanks guys for all the help !!

View attachment 982912
They look like some great choices of brushes! Although I'm not sure about the pure badger brush. For me, pure badgers are way too harsh for my skin. Maybe you got thick beard to stand the pure badger bristles. Anyways, enjoy your shaves with these amazing brushes!

Thanks @Timeclo ill be using my WCS tonight and can’t wait !! I quickly fell in love with the SOC so I’m hoping to go two for two !!

Top Bottom