What's new

A different look at shaving costs

Actually, IMO, 1 is shortsighted, 2-3 is frugal, 4-7 is prudent; 8-12 is enthusiastic, 13-29 is a bounty of riches, and 30-50 is perhaps Exhibit A at the divorce hearing. More than 50 is excessive. :)

I have 6ft speaker cables that I paid $100 and I was being a frugal audiophile. But $50 for shaving soap beats that for silliness.
My gauge is paying $2600 for a preamp or an nfa rifle that needed a trust, a tax stamp, engraving, etc. and each magazine costing $50.

The difference is, I shave every day.

I know some men who are DE/SE wet shavers and all but one do not post on any forums and are happy with their one razor and blade type and only one owns more than one brush for that matter. Posters are mainly new people and those with lots of free time. I think also that most posters fade away with time as they say the average American male changes his hobby every few years. What amazes me is that few seem to grasp that the actual shaving process is pure science and not "alchemy". I would imagine that when engineers at say Gillette or Personna get bored they read forums such as this for a chuckle and wish they could post to set people straight. "Hey Vladimir, look at these knuckleheads!!" :a14:

Is this shaving thing a legitimate hobby?

My wife shakes her head and declaring, "You and you're crazy shaving buddies, I just don't understand the things you do." Many of us receive similar slings and arrows because of our wet shaving activities. I think we may be somewhat like a religious cult or secret society. There's a part of us that is somewhat shy and semi-fearful of sharing this part of our lives with others for fear of how they will view our unique pastime and interests. Because of this we sometimes feel ashamed and question ourselves for doing it. There's another part of us that just wants to evangelize the razor burned, bumped and cartridge oppressed throughout the world. When we "convert" a lost soul we feel vindicated and relieved that we aren't crazy after all. We have good news to share but are fearful of the potential rejection or ridicule.

But is traditional wet shaving and collecting vintage and modern razors any different than a number of other more common hobbies? I think not. In fact, the hobby of traditional wet shaving is actually far more practical than many hobbies. We shave every day or two and can use those items we collect in our shaves. Traditional wet shaving is an active hobby versus a stagnant one like collecting coins or postage stamps, cars, motorcycles, comic books or first edition books that are squirreled away in glass cases or dusty shelves and never touched or used. Granted many of the things we collect are consumable and it is only the razors that have any true "collecting value" that could potentially increase in monetary value over time. Nevertheless, we have gotten to where we are as traditional wet shavers because it meets a need in our lives, be it obtaining a good comfortable shave each day or the banter and comradeship by chatting in the shave groups or "connecting" with someone by watching one of their shave videos and putting a voice and face to the Facebook icon and name we chat with on the forums and groups every day.

Like I have said before, the modern male no longer has the benefit of being able to tinker under a shade tree in the back yard on the engine of their automobile or truck. Traditional wet shaving can replace that itch to "tinker". Computerized systems has taken us beyond being able to adjust carburetors and timing belts to improve the performance of our vehicles. But we can still "tinker" with our shave gear and combinations. Some guys still play shade tree mechanic with classic cars and other more "traditional" male past times like hunting, fishing, trap and skeet shooting, bowling, billiards, motorcycles, etc., etc. Many do those types of things in addition to their wet shaving hobby and interests.
Read full article...

Actually, IMO, 1 is shortsighted, 2-3 is frugal, 4-7 is prudent; 8-12 is enthusiastic, 13-29 is a bounty of riches, and 30-50 is perhaps Exhibit A at the divorce hearing. More than 50 is excessive. :)

That's exactly why my wife doesn't need to know the exact number of brushes and neither should she have easy access to them. She can see that "space is missing", but as long as it's "important space to her", i keep the "dragon" asleep. :001_005:

Razors don't do it for me. I just use 2 that work well. Soaps don't do it for me either. I can shave with anything and i am not a scent maniac. What i shave for, is the joy of swirling. That's what it's all about. And 30, is a good number. You can use them in different patterns, even one every day to cover all days of the month. By the time you use again the 1st one, you have totally forgotten about it and it seems as if you just bought a new brush.

Do you use the same magazine every day in the bathroom, even if you 've read it before? How many times can you read the same magazine and pretend you like it? I approach shaving brushes with a similar mentality and it works! It works to the point that i shave every day, while before i was shaving every 2-3 days.

You don't even need to buy 30 brushes of $100 each. It's the variety that does the trick, not the price.
Another much cheaper item that brings much variety, is blades. I use 16 types of blades without issues and they add to the shave variety.

In few words, no one shave is exactly like the one the day before. Mission accomplished.

P.S.: Registering in this forum has caused rapid increase in brush purchases, for the simple reason that i started looking for them in shops more actively, while in the past i was buying them mainly only during festivities. Such forums are good for wetshaving companies, bad for people who want to use "1 razor, 1 brush, 1 soap". :001_302:

Last edited:

It reminds me of Robin Williams talking about cocaine. He said cocaine was God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

There is probably a shaving items parallel...

And I have another window open right now on Maggard, adding items to a shopping cart.

That's exactly why my wife doesn't need to know the exact number of brushes and neither should she have easy access to them. She can see that "space is missing", but as long as it's "important space to her", i keep the "dragon" asleep. :001_005:

Razors don't do it for me. I just use 2 that work well. Soaps don't do it for me either. I can shave with anything and i am not a scent maniac. What i shave for, is the joy of swirling. That's what it's all about. And 30, is a good number. You can use them in different patterns, even one every day to cover all days of the month. By the time you use again the 1st one, you have totally forgotten about it and it seems as if you just bought a new brush.

Do you use the same magazine every day in the bathroom, even if you 've read it before? How many times can you read the same magazine and pretend you like it? I approach shaving brushes with a similar mentality and it works! It works to the point that i shave every day, while before i was shaving every 2-3 days.

You don't even need to buy 30 brushes of $100 each. It's the variety that does the trick, not the price.
Another much cheaper item that brings much variety, is blades. I use 16 types of blades without issues and they add to the shave variety.

In few words, no one shave is exactly like the one the day before. Mission accomplished.

P.S.: Registering in this forum has caused rapid increase in brush purchases, for the simple reason that i started looking for them in shops more actively, while in the past i was buying them mainly only during festivities. Such forums are good for wetshaving companies, bad for people who want to use "1 razor, 1 brush, 1 soap". :001_302:

I came to this thread to post an opinion on some matter that I've now forgotten since reading two compelling posts.

[Cue "Why Can't a Woman be More like a Man" from My Fair Lady.]

Why must any man have to explain his senisible buying habits to any female? We do not buy frivolous things. We buy power tools, weight benches, knives, motorcycles, muscle cars, firearms, multi-tools, and the shaving stuff for which we assemble here.

Women? Shoes. Manicures. Figurines. Potpurri. Country crafts. The Toyota Prius. Okay, yeah...lingerie, but moving along...

Last edited:

The advantage of SBAD/SAD for bowl/palm lathering guys is that you can lather up as much as you want per day without actually shaving. Just enjoying the scents and the ritual. I wouldn't go as far as applying it on my face or shaving without a blade.

I came to this thread to post an opinion on some matter that I've now forgotten since reading two compelling posts.

[Cue "Why Can't a Woman be More like a Man" from My Fair Lady.]

Why must any man have to explain his senisible buying habits to any female? We do not buy frivolous things. We buy power tools, weight benches, knives, motorcycles, muscle cars, firearms, multi-tools, and the shaving stuff for which we assemble here.

Women? Shoes. Manicures. Figurines. Potpurri. Country crafts. The Toyota Prius. Okay, yeah...lingerie, but moving along...

Exactly. This is why i keep much of my shaving stash, together with tools, where the wife doesn't care or even bother to search. It's a space she doesn't care too much about, as long as it's not right on her face. So she is happy with my stuff out of her way and i don't have to explain why i have 50+ brushes. :001_302:

The advantage of SBAD/SAD for bowl/palm lathering guys is that you can lather up as much as you want per day without actually shaving. Just enjoying the scents and the ritual. I wouldn't go as far as applying it on my face or shaving without a blade.

I hadn't thought of it. I wonder how many do that. Shame i only face lather.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been saving money through DE shaving for over 25 years. There's only two years where I've been anywhere close to spending what cartridges and canned foam would cost, one of which was last year, and the other was around 5 or 6 years ago, I think.

I've now got razors and blades to see me through many years ahead, and soap for around three years, not including the small pile of shave sticks I have stashed away. I've also got enough post shave for this year and next.

So my annual expenditure moving forwards, will be replacing my boar brush on an as needed basis, getting spare parts for my Zamac razor every X number of years, and replacing the soap when I eventually manage to run the pile down.

As a rolling average, that probably puts me somewhere between £5 and £10 per year for the foreseeable future. Some folks here, will spend several times that every month. Money can be saved, but some people seem to like shopping far too much. :D

Top Bottom