What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Without going through each post of this thread, does anyone have numbers for GEM PTFE blades? I managed to find the post below but thats all.

Not quite ready to join Excalibur Club yet, but have pushed my GEM PTFE SE blade to 13 shaves so far.

I just had shave 13 on a PTFE today and I know it has more in it. Its more work to get the same BBS finish, but the smoothness is really fantastic.

Without going through each post of this thread, does anyone have numbers for GEM PTFE blades?
After a quick search the best I could come up with was the one below:
Shave #21 with this blade today. I was starting to think it was too dull to get a good shave, so I stropped it like a SR. Ended up BBS. If I can manage this kind of life out of my other blades, I don't think I'll ever need to buy a blade again.
View attachment 704950
Parker Pure Badger | ER Shovel Head | GEM PTFE (21) | Proraso Red | CC Large Bowl
That was posted on November 26, 2016. ciderguy was last seen on January 11, 2017 but that appears to be his last post on this thread. So I have no idea if he got more, and if he did how many more.

You could PM him I guess... :001_unsur

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After a quick search the best I could come up with was the one below:

That was posted on November 26, 2016. ciderguy was last seen on January 11, 2017 but that appears to be his last post on this thread. So I have no idea if he got more, and if he did how many more.

You could PM him I guess... :001_unsur

Thanks Cal.

21 might be tough to beat!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I got 7 with a Carbon PAL. Go for it!

You're a better man than I. I barely got through a single shave with a Carbon blade.

Yesterdays shave started well, but the BBS only lasted about 8 hours and I have a single ingrown hair right side jawline. My first ever with the MMOC.

You're a better man than I. I barely got through a single shave with a Carbon blade.

Yesterdays shave started well, but the BBS only lasted about 8 hours and I have a single ingrown hair right side jawline. My first ever with the MMOC.
Well, my first try with a carbon blade was much like yours. I think that too many unknowns exist with carbon blades. How long ago were they made? How were they stored? Things that don't matter with SS blades, unless taken to the extreme ends of the spectrum. I stumbled across these blades at a local grocery so felt obligated to purchase (to encourage them to stock traditional products). They had both SE and injector blades, but no DE blades if you can believe that!

The longevity of your BBS shaves astonishes me! I would only have 1 hr. until I started steep buffing with SEs. That lengthened it to 4-6 hours.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The longevity of your BBS shaves astonishes me! I would only have 1 hr. until I started steep buffing with SEs. That lengthened it to 4-6 hours.

Some of that I credit to the soaps I've found that work so well with my skin. PdP, WK, CRS and Wickham 1912 all make my skin very supple so the thicker SE blade can cut even deeper without any negative affect to my skin.

Thats why I can shave faster with my MMOC then I can my Grande too. The thin flexible DE blades flex so much more than SE blades so they can be harder on my skin, even with the right angle of use.

I really cant see a downside to SE's. All the vintage SE razors are inexpensive, GEM PTFE blades are inexpensive and I know I can get a dozen shaves per blade. Those shaves are closer and more comfortable than DE too.

Some of that I credit to the soaps I've found that work so well with my skin. PdP, WK, CRS and Wickham 1912 all make my skin very supple so the thicker SE blade can cut even deeper without any negative affect to my skin.

Thats why I can shave faster with my MMOC then I can my Grande too. The thin flexible DE blades flex so much more than SE blades so they can be harder on my skin, even with the right angle of use.

I really cant see a downside to SE's. All the vintage SE razors are inexpensive, GEM PTFE blades are inexpensive and I know I can get a dozen shaves per blade. Those shaves are closer and more comfortable than DE too.

Yeah, skin conditioning is very important IMO. I use pre-shaves to help, and soaps such as PdP and Cade, although currently I'm working my way through soaps I'd purchased and tried, but aren't what I consider my top tier. Not bad soaps at all, those I just use to cycle brushes to get tips to split and odors to dissipate :) Good conditioning allows me to shave very frequently when I want, perhaps I should shave slightly more aggressively instead.

Only downside to SEs is not being able to try hundreds of different types of blades to determine which ones work for you :), of course that can be seen as a positive if you don't already have a huge selection to try :). Carbon or Stainless, coated? OKay, other than trying utility blades all bases covered by those two choices. I do think Feather makes some as well though.

I shave usually every 3 to 7 days. So have substantial growth each time I shave, always striving for the BBS.
I have recently started using my MMOC with Gem SS blades and am on shave #5 and it is smooth and very comfortable. I'm sure I have many more shaves to come on this blade. I think I could use this as a daily shaver, it is that comfortable.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yeah, skin conditioning is very important IMO. I use pre-shaves to help, and soaps such as PdP and Cade, although currently I'm working my way through soaps I'd purchased and tried, but aren't what I consider my top tier. Not bad soaps at all, those I just use to cycle brushes to get tips to split and odors to dissipate :) Good conditioning allows me to shave very frequently when I want, perhaps I should shave slightly more aggressively instead.

How the soap softens my skin I've found very important leading to a longer BBS finish while being more gentle on the skin. Its really made a big difference for me.

I find myself reaching for PdP more and more often, it really is a fantastic soap. My Stirling and Proraso soaps have been put away. They arent bad soaps at all, far from it, but they dont agree with my skin like PdP and the others.

I shave usually every 3 to 7 days. So have substantial growth each time I shave, always striving for the BBS.
I have recently started using my MMOC with Gem SS blades and am on shave #5 and it is smooth and very comfortable. I'm sure I have many more shaves to come on this blade. I think I could use this as a daily shaver, it is that comfortable.

The MMOC is an awesome razor. I had no issues at ~100 hours growth shaving single pass ATG not long ago.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

I think I am slowly coming to the conclusion that not all blades are the same (at least for me).. I seem to have no problem getting 50+ awesome shaves from an Astra SP. But I am working my way through a box of Bali Super Blue and I think my record so far is 27 shaves but it seems that after about 14 it becomes much more work in terms of touch up and everything else (prep, planets aligned correctly, etc) has to be perfect to get an passable shave. I blade #7 (from a box of 10) into the razor yesterday and the shave was great. I was whining a bit about the blades and SWMBO told me to toss the box and not buy them again. I pointed out that with 2300+ blades it was unlikely that I would ever need to buy a DE blade again but it kind of grates against my nature just toss them. So to borrow from the 3017 thread I might shave with them like I hate them. For me this means that right out of the pack they have two strikes against them and at the first sign of being annoying into the sharps bin they go. That way I will get a couple weeks out of them but it will surely up the number of blades I use in 2019 when compared to 2018.

Not knowing what kind of blade I would like I bought a crazy sampler pack... I went to tryablade and bought a box/pack of everything they had. I am uncertain what pack I will pull out to 3017 next but hopefully it works better that the current blades.

I used to think that too. When I did my long Polsilver SI run I ran out of "more aggressive" razors, so I restarted on my "least aggressive" and it worked just fine. I now tend to think it's "all in the mind."

Of course changing the razor for another one (no matter whether it's up or down in aggression) automatically changes the angle you use the blade at. So more often than not the blade will feel better (rejuvenated).

That's just my two cents, and opinion, for what it's worth. :letterk1: :laugh:

That's a valid point Cal...though a milder razor does seems to help me get less cuts when a blade is new! Trying a brand new blade with and open comb netted me way too many bleeders!

Shave # 6(Shark Super Chrome)

Razor
: Merkur 23C
Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Preshave:
Lather
: Route 66 Barbershop Hop
Brush: Synbad Synthetic brush
Postshave: Alum, Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave

I think the blade is really settling down now so it's not as crazy sharp as it was the first 3-4 shaves. The Route 66 soap also seemed to help as it was much better for cushion, glide, and moisturizing than the Proraso Red I used last time. Either that or I just haven't figured out the sweet spot with the water content on the Proraso Red. Really enjoyed the shave and got the least amount of sting from the Alum this time. I really like it when the blades start to get smoother! I almost dread opening a new blade now. :001_tt2:

That's a valid point Cal...though a milder razor does seems to help me get less cuts when a blade is new! Trying a brand new blade with and open comb netted me way too many bleeders!
I really like it when the blades start to get smoother! I almost dread opening a new blade now. :001_tt2:
I am forever grateful to @bosseb for this post (#1240 on page 62):

This just might be a question that has some general interest among the Excalibur members.
I also know from experience that the prejudice about how a blade should behave might just be the hardest obstacle to handle in extending blade longevity. So here is my personal view of the number of shaves in each part of the cycle. Keep in mind that I change razor every Saturday

Typical Sequence of Blade Character Changes over Prolonged Use

ShaveBlade Characteristics
1 - 8Devilishly sharp, watch out for weepers when loading into the next razor
9 - 25Roughness as the blade loses its initial sharpness ( coating?)
26 - 80Buttery Edge, smooth sailing
81 - 120Onset of diminished cutting capacity, cleanup needed after two passes
121 - ?End of useful life, as noticed in a longer clean up pass and earlier stubble

I hope this chart will tear down some of the mental barriers that I have had problems in overcoming!

I'd just like to mention that the reason I removed the Excalibur badge from my signature was because the thread seemed to be going far too much in the "bragging rights" direction, rather than the original intended "technique improvement" (and who the hell cares if you reach 100 or not). Sure, it's fun to be able to reach high numbers, but if you then can't handle "a sharp new blade" what was the damned point?

I get sick of people moaning about weepers and such, even high scorers. To me this is simply an indication of poor technique. If you're good enough to take your blade from new to high numbers, you should also be good enough to get a great (and blood free) shave (nearly) every time.

Don't get mad at me. It's only MY opinion. :letterk1: :laugh:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
... the thread seemed to be going far too much in the "bragging rights" direction, rather than the original intended "technique improvement" (and who the hell cares if you reach 100 or not).
I get sick of people moaning about weepers and such, even high scorers. To me this is simply an indication of poor technique. If you're good enough to take your blade from new to high numbers, you should also be good enough to get a great (and blood free) shave (nearly) every time.

I removed the Excalibur from my sig line, because the only point in changing technique further, was to increase shave count.

I haven't drawn blood with a DE since I started shaving again in Oct 2017, went all through 2018 without letting the red stuff out with any razor, and have only sprung leaks so far this year, due to my lesser competence driving a DE shavette. So from that aspect, I think I can consider my technique to be pretty good. :)

As to shave finish, I generally get what I set out to achieve. Sometimes that's 100% BBS, but more often than not, it isn't. So no real technique problems there either.

Yet I only average 10 shaves a blade, even though I have had two blades just creep over 30.

I think the main deficit, if there is one, is in my prep. Despite what I wrote in The Wanderer's Guide, I tend to skimp somewhat on the preparation - because I can :p

However, if I'm getting the shave I want without springing a leak, is extending the prep to further soften the hairs worth it, if all I get as a reward is a blade lasting longer? I don't think it is. My blade cost is already less than a penny a shave, and I really don't see the need to add an extra five minutes a day for additional whisker softening, just to get more turns of the dice. Besides which, all that additional prep, can also soften the skin, and might even lead to a reduced shave quality.

Maybe some of the leakage issues of some of the high scorers is due to over hydrated skin... just a thought.

So, while I still go the full life of a blade before disposing of it, whether that's six shaves, or twenty six, I don't feel any need to change my technique to elevate that further. The comfort of my face, will always take precedence over turns of the dice.

Again, just my humble perspective. :D

However, if I'm getting the shave I want without springing a leak, is extending the prep to further soften the hairs worth it, if all I get as a reward is a blade lasting longer? I don't think it is.
I usually always shave BEFORE showering or bathing. My only pre-lathering prep is slapping some water on my face.

You'll notice once you've lathered (no Santa Claus stuff, please) that your whiskers stand to attention much more than they did when you started. That's the idea of shaving soap, it stiffens the whiskers ready to be chopped down (no matter what people tell you). So getting whiskers really soft and hydrated is a mugs game. Let's say you have two identical pieces of wood; except one is soaking wet and the other is bone dry... which would be easier to saw in half?

So my virtually NO-PREP method hasn't stopped me from getting great blood free shaves, or high blade counts. :001_tt2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I usually always shave BEFORE showering or bathing. My only pre-lathering prep is slapping some water on my face.

You'll notice once you've lathered (no Santa Claus stuff, please) that your whiskers stand to attention much more than they did when you started. That's the idea of shaving soap, it stiffens the whiskers ready to be chopped down (no matter what people tell you). So getting whiskers really soft and hydrated is a mugs game. Let's say you have two identical pieces of wood; except one is soaking wet and the other is bone dry... which would be easier to saw in half?

So my virtually NO-PREP method hasn't stopped me from getting great blood free shaves, or high blade counts. :001_tt2:

Clogging saw teeth and hardness/toughness are very different things ;) Green logs are easier to split than seasoned. :ciappa:

I find a 48 hour shave, easier on the blade than a 24 hour shave. The increased of exposed stubble surface area to wick up the water, leads to a higher intake and softer stubble (assuming skin oils have been washed away first), without over hydrating the skin. A waterlogged hair, also gives some extra lubrication as the blade passes through the cross section, compared to a dry hair. They are the differences that I perceive (rightly or wrongly) anyway. :001_tongu However, laziness means that I can't be bothered chasing that softness, and so tend to shave with stiffer bristles.

As to blade life, when my blades are spent, there's flat spots and edge chipping. I can't see a way of delaying that without softening the bristles more. :blink:

I am forever grateful to @bosseb for this post (#1240 on page 62):

This just might be a question that has some general interest among the Excalibur members.
I also know from experience that the prejudice about how a blade should behave might just be the hardest obstacle to handle in extending blade longevity. So here is my personal view of the number of shaves in each part of the cycle. Keep in mind that I change razor every Saturday

Typical Sequence of Blade Character Changes over Prolonged Use

ShaveBlade Characteristics
1 - 8Devilishly sharp, watch out for weepers when loading into the next razor
9 - 25Roughness as the blade loses its initial sharpness ( coating?)
26 - 80Buttery Edge, smooth sailing
81 - 120Onset of diminished cutting capacity, cleanup needed after two passes
121 - ?End of useful life, as noticed in a longer clean up pass and earlier stubble

I hope this chart will tear down some of the mental barriers that I have had problems in overcoming!

I'd just like to mention that the reason I removed the Excalibur badge from my signature was because the thread seemed to be going far too much in the "bragging rights" direction, rather than the original intended "technique improvement" (and who the hell cares if you reach 100 or not). Sure, it's fun to be able to reach high numbers, but if you then can't handle "a sharp new blade" what was the damned point?

Don't get mad at me. It's only MY opinion. :letterk1: :laugh:

Cal I'm shocked..Shocked! You're speaking sacrilege! :laugh::001_tt2:

I remember that chart. When I first got onboard the Excalibur train I used it to track progress. Nowadays I just go by feel as I don't really care too much about the count itself per se. I do see your point though...that once you have the technique down you should be able to get a great shave with a new or used blade. In my case it's also learning how each brand of blades feel as well as how each razor handles just a bit different. Having the goal of getting to the century mark just provides some added motivation to refine your technique to get to that point.

I will admit though that I have been experimenting with the prep and to be honest it actually seems to be easier to shave if I don't overdo the prep that much. When I started I was doing the hot towel/shower everytime. The last few times I just do a quick wash with face soap and hot water and then proceed to lather and shave. It seems to work just fine without the extras. The harder part was more mental...I wanted to be able to shave a certain way. Realizing it's much better to work with what works for you instead of following a certain set of rules.

Last edited:
... it's much better to work with what works for you instead of following a certain set of rules.
+1000 :thumbup:

But of course it's always interesting (and educational) trying what others do, to check out if it'll work for you, even if it "seems" like a stupid idea (IMO). Ya can't beat "stupid but great." :letterk1: :laugh:

Clogging saw teeth and hardness/toughness are very different things ;) Green logs are easier to split than seasoned. :ciappa:

I find a 48 hour shave, easier on the blade than a 24 hour shave. The increased of exposed stubble surface area to wick up the water, leads to a higher intake and softer stubble (assuming skin oils have been washed away first), without over hydrating the skin. A waterlogged hair, also gives some extra lubrication as the blade passes through the cross section, compared to a dry hair. They are the differences that I perceive (rightly or wrongly) anyway. :001_tongu However, laziness means that I can't be bothered chasing that softness, and so tend to shave with stiffer bristles.

As to blade life, when my blades are spent, there's flat spots and edge chipping. I can't see a way of delaying that without softening the bristles more. :blink:
I'll have to disagree with you on the green forewoof logs easier to split than dry. I burn firewood too, it's a lot easier to me pop open when it's dry and showing cracks between the wood fibers. And if you can get it in one of those cracks already you're halfway there. To each is own.Now back to shaving.

Top Bottom