What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

We're neck and neck nav, tonight will be 18 on the Brazilian Super Plat. It's still close and comfortable in the Game Changer .84P. All new territory for me.

Oh nice!
Let's see how far we can take these blades.

14 hours later, my shave is still surprisingly close! Unbelievable!!
Even my wife is surprised how far this blade has gone!

#18 in the books with the Brazilian Super Platinum. I switched to my heavy cap Old Type with a prewar Tech fat handle, vintage Williams, Simpsons Eagle G3 pure, Aqua Velva Locion. Easily the best shave ever with the Old Type, and the most seasoned blade to date, every bit as nice as the Game Changer .84P. I think I'll run this combination as I reach for 24, the Old Type seems to bring out the best in me, I find the feedback reassuring.

Last edited:
#18 on my Polsilver.
Still super smooth, no tugging and taking down the stubble easily.

The post-shave shadow is not as light now so even though the blade feels just fine, its performance seems to be degrading. I'll keep pushing on though.

@Cal I figured out the error of my ways. A steep HANDLE angle makes for a shallow blade angle and vice versa which explains my blade angle dyslexia.

I am continuing to learn ! Slim setting #9 for consecutive days is way too harsh for my skin even on a blade broken in by 100 shaves. I dialed it back to Slim setting #7 and my face healed up after a few days. For three days I shaved on Slim #9 because I'm a slow learner especially in the morning! However the shave was truly BBS close so that's captivating. Slim #7 after three days allowed me to heal and still delivers a mostly BBS shave. I think I could probably handle Slim #8 or 9 above the jawline and 7 below - even with a seasoned blade! Otherwise I'm a Slim #4 shaver with newer blades. I really like that Slim adjustable! It's just so cool to shave with. I'm 108 shaves into this GSB and today I had a familiar feeling return where the blade felt pully on the first pass which I do not like. I'll give it another day to see if I can wet.whiskers my way to a more comfortable first pass and keep the party going.

Guys I'll be watching this thread too. Hopefully learning something along the way. I think I got 15 or 16 from a personna red and should have just put it up but tossed it .I don't think I'll dig it out of the dirty old blades now lol

Today is shave number 16 with my Personna lab blue. While there is no tugging, I get a nice smooth shave (almost BBS), it doesn’t seem to last long.

My other blade is a Kai sitting at 16 shaves as well. Blades will be switched tomorrow.

Is that poor technique or blade?

That's how I usually decide a blade is finished -- the shave eventually doesn't get close no matter how many passes I make, and I have stubble by mid afternoon. Usually easy shaves, just not close.

I always try to get as many shaves as I possibly can from a blade. Even go as far as trying it in a different razor. Seams to get even more shaves from the blade, don't know if its the razor or my technique. Got 12 great shaves from a Astra SP in my vintage slant, and now that I've improved my preshave techniques I believe I may have gotten more.
I'm on #4 in my 1930's Aristocrat w/Astra SP. Am working a Personna along with a few other blades.
Does that qualify as Excalibur material?:a45:

I would say so -- the point is to improve your shaves and get the best life out of blades, not to either reach some magical number nor to toss blades after some arbitrary number of shaves.

How many shaves you get is likely somewhat dependent on the density and coarseness of your beard. I believe there is a correlation between how much total cross section of hair is cut and blade life.

You are on the correct path for sure!

Shave #21 on the Polsilver in the karve D plate.

I did have to do a few extra strokes to get the tough areas but no irritation and a BBS finish!

Absolutely unbelievable!!

Some would question the need to push the blade so far given it's now taking some extra effort. I would somewhat agree with this but I'll keep on pushing as it's the first time in experiencing this type of blade longevity and it's kind of blowing my mind!!

I want to also mention that in the current harsh winter climate, I'm really looking after my skin and I'm 100% sure that this is contributing to the extra blade life.

With the One-Blade-in-February challenge starting tomorrow, and desiring to start with a new blade, I don't know if I should bin the Bolzano Superinox I've been using, or shelf it until March. It's got 15 shaves on it and it feels like 21 is easily within reach. I'm getting close, comfortable, two-pass shaves. I guess a true Excalibur would keep using the Bolzano through February. But forty shaves is uncharted territory for me.

Gentlemen, I'm going to retire this blade at 22, although I'm sure it could soldier on for some time to come. Beyond satisfying my curiosity, my attention span simply will not permit me to continue this endeavor. I leave the field to the true devotees who will always enjoy my respect and good wishes.

With the One-Blade-in-February challenge starting tomorrow, and desiring to start with a new blade, I don't know if I should bin the Bolzano Superinox I've been using, or shelf it until March. It's got 15 shaves on it and it feels like 21 is easily within reach. I'm getting close, comfortable, two-pass shaves. I guess a true Excalibur would keep using the Bolzano through February. But forty shaves is uncharted territory for me.

I’m going into the 1 blade February with the Polsilver I put in my Karve on January 1st. 4shaves a week is only 16 so I should be golden.

My Polsilver blade died very suddenly!
I wasn't expecting it given how smooth it was even in the 21st shave.

After the 22nd, it felt like it was literally scraping the skin. Very rough and a bit painful.

Popped a new Polsilver in the karve and it was smooth as butter.

I'll repeat the experiment with this blade too as I'm trying to determine my consistent maximum. I'll then change out the blade at 20% less than my max, just to ensure I'm not working my skin too hard by pushing the blade too far.

Personna Lab Blue #19

Today is the 19th shave with the Personna Lab Blue. At some point, I debated whether I should toss the blade or not, I was getting good shaves but it didn’t seem as close and did not seem to last as long. Seemed that stubble would come back quickly. Ended up switching the blade to another razor (from a game changer .84 to a Parker Variant on the 3.5-4 setting) and it’s been working well.

Ended up switching the blade to another razor (from a game changer .84 to a Parker Variant on the 3.5-4 setting) and it’s been working well.

I find that as I climb the aggression ladder with my razors (starting mild and working my way up), I squeeze more shaves out of the blade. Most of my blades end their run in a Gillette Fatboy @ setting 7 or higher.

I find that as I climb the aggression ladder with my razors (starting mild and working my way up), I squeeze more shaves out of the blade.
I used to think that too. When I did my long Polsilver SI run I ran out of "more aggressive" razors, so I restarted on my "least aggressive" and it worked just fine. I now tend to think it's "all in the mind."

Of course changing the razor for another one (no matter whether it's up or down in aggression) automatically changes the angle you use the blade at. So more often than not the blade will feel better (rejuvenated).

That's just my two cents, and opinion, for what it's worth. :letterk1: :laugh:

Of course changing the razor for another one (no matter whether it's up or down in aggression) automatically changes the angle you use the blade at. So more often than not the blade will feel better (rejuvenated).

That sounds like a valid supposition. I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom