What's new

Skin Food - Alternative?

Corn huskers lotion. Mantic points it out in one of his videos. I love the stuff. You can find it locally at drugstores for cheap too. There really isn't much to the scent though. It's just a great performer.

Personally I like the AOS pre shave oil, it smells good and lifts and softens the beard. I am planning on buying some skin food in the next week or so, just a small bottle to test and compar

AFAIK traditional skin food is made up of rose water, glyercin and scent. So, drop by your local health food store and you can likely pick up some rose water, glyercin and essential oil and then go home and mix up your own skin food at home.

Search the forums as I'm pretty sure there have been few threads with members sharing the ratios that have worked for them. Traditional mix is 2 parts rose water, 1 part glycerin. Additions you can make: add 1/2 part witch hazel, if you want a different scent add essential oil by the drop until you get the scent you want. Adding essential oils and/or glycerin to Corn Huskers Lotion is also mentioned, but I don't know if that is available in Canada.

Another store bought option is to check out the skin foods at razor and brush. I've never dealt with the company or tried their products but I believe they are generally well-regarded (both vendor and products).

Last edited:
I find 444 to be pretty similar to skin food, although it has menthol.

Not as much in the scent department, but it works great in combo with splashes.

If you want to try Skin Food, order the sample pack from the Trumper's site. It's under 5 bucks and you get 3 mini bottles of different skin foods, plus 4 creams and a few colognes.

I can't stand the notion of skin food, Trumper's esp. It's nothing.

If you want a layer between your skin and the blade, use a moisturizer or ASB.

Light, inexpensive and water-soluble, CeraVe is phenomenal.

It doesn't appear that I can easily source Cornhusker's in Canada. No worries though... I have located a recipe to make Skin Food.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Cheers,

RJ

AFAIK traditional skin food is made up of rose water, glyercin and scent. So, drop by your local health food store and you can likely pick up some rose water, glyercin and essential oil and then go home and mix up your own skin food at home.

Search the forums as I'm pretty sure there have been few threads with members sharing the ratios that have worked for them. Traditional mix is 2 parts rose water, 1 part glycerin. Additions you can make: add 1/2 part witch hazel, if you want a different scent add essential oil by the drop until you get the scent you want. Adding essential oils and/or glycerin to Corn Huskers Lotion is also mentioned, but I don't know if that is available in Canada.

Another store bought option is to check out the skin foods at razor and brush. I've never dealt with the company or tried their products but I believe they are generally well-regarded (both vendor and products).

Top Bottom