What's new

How Are You Cleaning Your Brush?

Hey guys I would like to hear your opinions on brush cleaning? I clean mine cause of acne and build up of soap. I use dish soap and white vinegar I don't use a conditioner because I believe a quality soap will do that.

Hey guys I would like to hear your opinions on brush cleaning? I clean mine cause of acne and build up of soap. I use dish soap and white vinegar I don't use a conditioner because I believe a quality soap will do that.

What are the soap to vinegar ratio? Do you soak the brush, and if so how long? Have a couple of vintage I would like to clean up.

If you have hard water, you will eventually build up soap scum on your brush (technically a non-soluble calcium/magnesium salt of fatty acids). Diluted vinegar soap will break up the soap scum. Do not soak any longer than necessary as this might affect the glue, depending upon what type of glue was used to form the knot.

When I clean a brush, I will often follow-up with shampoo and conditioner. I figure if it keeps my hair clean and conditioned, it will be suitable for the hair in the brush as well. I always use shampoo and conditioner on a new brush to help remove the funky smell present on most natural hair brushes. Just make sure you do not use products used to prevent split ends. On a boar brush you want split ends.

I use a fresh towel for shaving and feel that drying the brush on the towel helps. The soap and vinegar works great. Vinegar seems to clean anything.

I have not had any issues with my brushes, but I always give them a good rinsing after each use.

With that said, if you have to clean your brushes, both the shampoo and vinegar options sound very good.

I clean my brush with soap every day.

Once done, I just rinse it well dry the handle and wipe it on a towel with a few paintbrush strokes before letting it hang dry. They stay in great shape this way with no soap buildup or anything like that. They all still look brand new.

I never "clean" my brushes, not on purpose anyway. I have always had surface water source that is very soft (mountain spring) and always rinse the brush thoroughly. I do inspect them every so often and check for deposits or soap scum. Never had issues.

After every shave, (which I do every other day), after applying alum to my face I give my brush a thorough rinsing and wringing and then disassemble my razor and clean it and reassemble it for the next day then do a cold water face rinse then apply aftershave and get on with my day...

I clean my brush with soap every day.

Once done, I just rinse it well dry the handle and wipe it on a towel with a few paintbrush strokes before letting it hang dry. They stay in great shape this way with no soap buildup or anything like that. They all still look brand new.

+1 Same here..

Top Bottom