What's new

How long do you let your boar brush dry?

I couldn’t find other threads addressing this so I thought of asking.

I am currently using an Omega 10065, and it’s broken in (somewhat, it has plenty of split-ends). I used the 3-day in the fridge method to break it in and have been using it for 3-4 weeks now in my rotation. After using the brush, I squeeze the water out, dry it on a towel then hang upside down. I do soak the brush before using.

I notice that if I use it the very next day, it is soft but if I use it every other day it’s not as soft.

Curious to see how others handle their boar brushes, how often do you let them dry in between shaves? And do you notice a difference in performance if you don’t use it regularly?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I use my brush every other day, and it is dry. It works well as it is. I don’t worry about it being dry.

Every other day is plenty to get it fully dry. My experience is that they are 90-95% dry after 24 hours. I’ve used the every day without strange things happening but others may disagree. One thing you can do to help it is to lightly brush it over the towel when you’re done to get some more moisture out of the tips. It won’t solve th water up towards the knot, but it’ll help.

Like others who have commented, I typically use a brush no more than every other day.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I generally will use daily, occasionally I use another. Haven't notice difference in softness after soaking for a few minutes if didn't use back to back. Fairly dry where I live (DFW), so knot always seems dry to the touch before use.

I've never been tempted to buy one shoe...

:p
Buy 1 shoe and it lasts a lifetime :) or at least 'til you buy the second.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am currently rotating 3, so it gets a nice rest. But you can use the same brush every day if you get most of the water out and leave it on a surface/shelf with a bit of air circulation (not in a cabinet). Get a good grip on the handle and whip the brush 4-8 times. The shower is a good place to aim the spray coming off the brush.

I’m rotating 4 inexpensive boars, 3 more on the bench, I do a some substitution every few weeks. Omega, Semogue, Zenith, Vulfix. I like them scrubby; hanging up/getting well-dried seems to make a difference. Mainly, I just like to mix it up. Living the dream...

My cheesy/cheapie drugstore plastic-handled first boar lasted about 20 years: just rinsed and shaken after shaving, never even brushed it on a towel, stood it on its handle or sat it in the Williams mug, poor thing looked terrible, and was still lathering just fine when my wife bought me a Plisson pure badger. The Plisson is still a wonderful
brush, I really baby it, but I’ve gone back to boars. First love.

I have 9 I rotate through right now. I generally don't use the same brush every day, but usually have a week off for each brush.

I usually use one boar everyday for a month, sometimes less then switch to another brush. I shave everyday so the brush gets to dry 24 hours before I use it again. My boars are broken in so I don't notice difference in performance when I switch to a different boar. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom