What's new

How long do you let your boar brush dry?

The phone company stole my left shoe, though.

Tell it to Lt. Bradshaw, gumshoe. You’ll be in restraints for a very long time.

So if I buy three more boars, there’s nothing you can do about it.

[Maniacal laughter, and the sound of a brush slowly drying]

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Tell it to Lt. Bradshaw, gumshoe. You’ll be in restraints for a very long time.

So if I buy three more boars, there’s nothing you can do about it.

[Maniacal laughter, and the sound of a brush slowly drying]

good joke! LOL!!

I think there's a little bit of moisture left in my boars after 24 hours, not much but some, so I have about 5 brushes I choose from. My bathroom doesn't have great circulation/air flow, so 24 hours may be OK for most people.

I don't rotate, but choose a brush and only use it if it seems completely dry. If I think I feel a little moisture, I choose another and check it. Both boar and badger seem to take 2 days to dry, synthetics seem to dry overnight.

For a my first year as enlightened, I only had one (the Proraso/Omega). Still use it as it has become magnificent with use over the time, but these days I have a few more. I am a bit curious to why it is better to store it upside down instead of leave it standing. I always leave my brushes standing as I somewhat think they dry faster that way. My thought is that as the remaining water evaporates from the brush, the water will leave the base of the knot and move upwards where the knot is more splayed and thus have more air between the hairs. I think the base of the knot is where water could most easily rot the knot. I thoroughly shake out as much water as I can before I leave it to dry. Mind you, I think that my granddad only used one brush at the time. He was as men back in the days a daily shaver. One soap (cheap stick), one razor and one brush. If memory serves me right, I am not even sure that he rinsed off the soap on the brush after shaving. Just added the remains of yesterdays shave to the next one. He would have a laugh if he looked into my cabinet :) If any has some input to why one should store a brush hanging upside down instead of standing while drying, I would appreciate it as my boars just seems to get better with time and use, and I would like to have them around for a long time.

Thanks everyone, lot of great info here.

I typically hang my brush upside down because I have a stand. That’s my main reason.
The other reason, and it’s not scientific, is that I figured even if I shake water off and squeeze the brush, some water may collect at the base. Hanging upside down will eliminate that because of gravity. I don’t have a well ventilated bathroom, so that helps. Again, it’s not scientific, just what I do.

The key is to allow the brush to dry thoroughly!! :a29:

I explained that this takes at least a week (perhaps 2 weeks) when discussing this with LOTH!!

(True, in the old days most guys used the same brush every day!! But that was a long time ago.)

I can use it everyday. I can even use it when damp. You don't necessarily need to fully dry it.

That being said, it's still best to have at least 2 and allow 24 hours in between to dry them at the very least.

I once heard that one brush will last you four a year. Three brushes will last you for 10 years. I guess what the guy meant was that they will not rot. Haven said that, I guess you could get around that with a synthetic that dries up really fast, but what’s the fun in having only one brush?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
but what’s the fun in having only one brush?

That's how I prefer it. I like the familiarity of using the same brush everyday. Even if I did get multiple brushes, I'd only use whichever I thought was the best, so the others would still be a waste of money for me.

I have quite a few brushes. I hang brushes for at least 24 hours to dry before putting them away. If your boar brush is not soft enough, either it is not quite broken in yet or you have not soaked it long enough before shaving. Boar bristles are thick and they soak up a lot of water. It take time for that to happen. I soak my brushes in a cup of very warm water for 15 minutes before shaving. That is the length of time it takes me to shower.

By the way, I have a boar brush (Barbershop Brand made in Austria but no longer made) that I have had for at least 35 years. It is well broken in and is as soft as my premium silvertip badgers. It still whips up a great lather.

Top Bottom