What's new

My Grande Journey

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
World's Slowest GIF. Keep watching. Not sleeping with fishes. Too quick for that.

The most subtle of nods in agreement lol.

Both razors do well with a single pass head ATG shave.

proud-face.jpg

I agree they are pretty close in efficiency, I get a slightly longer lasting BBS from the SE1 though. Both are great with the Proline!
FWIW , 10 hours on cheeks equally smooth (impressibly so) but the E2 side of my head is noticeably more free of stubble. Could be technique, or not...but no advantage for the SE1 evident this shave. Will switch sides tomorrow.

The shallower the angle of blade to skin, the more pressure I apply to the cap pushing it into my skin. Done right, theres really very little pressure from the blade edge on my skin and its a fantastic shave.
OK, when I first read this, I thought that it couldn't possibly work, but unlike some people on who think their faces are too precious to think outside the box (not the denizens of this thread though), I'll try anything. Note that I used the polar opposite of a rigid razor, my dad's DEvette. Lots of unsupported flappy blade -- @Esox's favourite ;-)

After struggling with dad's DEvette for so many years, today I got by far the best shave ever with it. Last few times I used it I went super-shallow, which gave a great shave, but today I tried @Esox's suggestion.

I shaved super-shallow, but instead of a light touch, pushed the cap into my face, so I used a decent amount of pressure. Wow ... just wow! I literally could not feel the blade at all, or the fact that it was cutting, even when going straight to ATG on the second pass.

I still prefer steep angle shaving with pretty much every other DE I own, but for this razor, nothing works better.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After struggling with dad's DEvette for so many years, today I got by far the best shave ever with it. Last few times I used it I went super-shallow, which gave a great shave, but today I tried @Esox's suggestion.

I shaved super-shallow, but instead of a light touch, pushed the cap into my face, so I used a decent amount of pressure. Wow ... just wow! I literally could not feel the blade at all, or the fact that it was cutting, even when going straight to ATG on the second pass.

Somehow, when I came in this room and sat in front of my desk I was transported to a parallel universe. Did someone flip that red switch while I wasnt looking and drop me into another universe? I was skeptical about quantum physics, but this is making me rethink everything.

Ole leatherface has been saved! lol.

Well ****, I'm flummoxed and dont really know what to say here, but I'll go along...

Yeah it works. Yeah, its pretty easy too once you get the hang of it. With the right pressure on the cap to get the blade edge as close to parallel to the skin as possible, it just wipes the stubble right off. The more blade exposure a razor has, the easier it is to find and maintain the angle pressure combination. The less blade exposure, the more difficult it is to maintain that even finer angle/pressure combination. Get it just right and its magic.

After all this time, @rabidus has finally cracked the hardest case of them all lol.

Stahly and Teck II, my favorite mild razors mano a mano. Whether it's geometry or its peculiar leaf suspension, the Stahly is immediately smoother if more picky about angle. Both perfectly efficient and capable in their ATG head shave duties. Love em both.
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dont know when I shaved last. Sometime around 48 hours ago.

NEW SC and a fresh Polsilver.

Wickham 1912 Club Cola sent to me by a very generous member. Thanks again!

Maggard synthetic as usual.

Great razor. Great blade. Not much more to be said about that.

One pass N-S WTG/XTG. One pass S-N XTG/ATG and buffing. One pass ATG from my jawline and lower, one clean up over my swirls.

Great razor! Great blade! Great brush too! lol

Also, great soap! The same wonderful thin insanely slick lather as my Wickham Rose with the single change of scent. Identical performance.

Scent. I dont get any Cola type scent. In the tub it smells to me like a lemon meringue pie. Theres no sharpness to the lemon scent and it has a subtle sweetness just like a pie does.

Lathered it smells the same with a slightly sharper tang to the scent. I like it, a lot. I had planned on a citrus type scent slot to fill at some point, but I think that slot is now filled.

Maybe 20 minutes post shave and I can smell no trace of the soap. I only wiped with a damp hand towel post shave, nothing else.

Aggressive 1912 "squat-head" Minuteman. Fun alternative to the MMOC. More blade, not quite as smooth.
proxy.php

You're in control, it will be as smooth as your technique allows it to be! Light touch shallow angle, like a str8. The more you you use it, the more it should smooth out. It will challenge your technique and force you to adapt.

You're in control, it will be as smooth as your technique allows it to be! Light touch shallow angle, like a str8. The more you you use it, the more it should smooth out. It will challenge your technique and force you to adapt.
This second run was indeed smoother than the first.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This second run was indeed smoother than the first.

I'm curious. You've used a lot of razors. If you could only have one, which would it be?

Take your time thinking about it and sorry for the headache haha.

Top Bottom