What's new

I gotta be crazy

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Just like the title says, I have to be nuts. Just ordered a Pelikan Blue M400 EF Nib. Hoping I like this as much as my M200/205 pens (3 of them). Pics when it arrives. Now I have to decide what ink to use; also ordered Pilot (can't remember the names) set of 3 15ml inks (Iroshizuku Mini Boxed Ink Set - Fall Edition), a huge bottle of Noodler's Baystate Blue (4.5oz, comes with a Noodler's Charlie pen) and 1 Herbin Lierre Sauvage 30ml, a beautiful green. Hoping this will be my last purchase of FPs and ink this year, but I'm not betting my Social Security check on it. If I find a GOOD deal on an M600, I'm going for it. Dumb as a box of rocks, I am (apologies to boxes of rocks).
I'll probably write another autobiography when it all gets here.
On another, related note, keep an eye out for a PIF for some ink samples, maybe 4-6 no each, and one for some inks I have too much of (yes, there is such a thing), a couple of full, unused 40ml bottles, Diamine and Pelikan 4001. I have 3 bottles of Diamine 150th anniversary Blue Black that I will never get to, and 1 or 2 bottles of of Pelikan Brilliant Black.

captp

Aww, come on, Sam, your a very nice box of pebbles, at worst.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
full

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Congrats on the pen, I've got a blue Souverän M400 with a BB nib I picked up in Germany. Love it.

FYI, I would not use Baystate (or any Noodler's, actually) in my Pelikans.

Congrats on the pen, I've got a blue Souverän M400 with a BB nib I picked up in Germany. Love it.

FYI, I would not use Baystate (or any Noodler's, actually) in my Pelikans.
I have an M205 due to arrive later on this week... what is the reasoning behind not using any Noodlers inks in your Pelikans? Anything I should be aware of before I ink mine up for the first time?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't use them because of several pens I've worked on that had problems due to highly saturated pigments and other flow additives compounded perhaps by poor maintenance. It's not just me, there are tons of threads at Fountain Pen Network describing issues users have. I use inks recommended by pen companies -- Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, Montblanc, Lamy, Aurora, Pilot, Pelikan, etc. with some exceptions like Herbin (since the 17th century) and Rohrer & Klingner.

Sorry, I've likely opened a can of worms here regarding boutique inks. I was flamed before for this stand by rabid fanboys on another forum and it's a sore subject for me. Pen repair folks I know also often divulge their tragic stories but there is always some user saying they have never had a problem. Good luck, I say.

See Mr. Binder's "Inks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"

P.S. - Baystate has a reputation for staining.

... what is the reasoning behind not using any Noodlers inks in your Pelikans?

I don't use them because of several pens I've worked on that had problems due to highly saturated pigments and other flow additives compounded perhaps by poor maintenance. It's not just me, there are tons of threads at Fountain Pen Network describing issues users have. I use inks recommended by pen companies -- Parker, Waterman, Sheaffer, Montblanc, Lamy, Aurora, Pilot, Pelikan, etc. with some exceptions like Herbin (since the 17th century) and Rohrer & Klingner.

Sorry, I've likely opened a can of worms here regarding boutique inks. I was flamed before for this stand by rabid fanboys on another forum and it's a sore subject for me. Pen repair folks I know also often divulge their tragic stories but there is always some user saying they have never had a problem. Good luck, I say.

See Mr. Binder's "Inks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"

P.S. - Baystate has a reputation for staining.
I have heard of the Baystate's rep for staining already, but since I do not have any of that one, doesn't affect me. I'm only slightly bummed, since Black Swan in Australian Rose has become a recent fave.. but, I also have Monteverde Napa Burgundy, which is a nicely shading red as well I can use, instead. :)

Thanks

captp

Baystate will go in the Noodler's for starts. I had Noodler's Black in my M200 EF with no problems. Just switched back to Pelikan Brilliant Black, which I was having a problem with originally; I think it just needed a good cleaning, it's working now.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I missed that Baystate Blue acquisition. To properly and safely use (dispose) it, might I suggest a cat?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Doesn’t sound crazy to me, unless you bought the pen instead of paying your electric bill or something. For a financially responsible person, pens are a nice affordable luxury. Enjoy the Pelikan. I’ll be keeping my eye out for your PIF; I could use a few inks to try.

tankerjohn

Wow, excellent article! That should be mandatory reading for new fountain pen users.

As I’m learning more about ink, I’ve come to think of the nanos, iron galls, and speciality inks like Noodlers, as “next level”. They seem to require a fuss-factor that’s beyond my current proclivities. I’ve read about people dedicating certain pens to Baystate Blue due to the staining or diluting it to reduce the saturation. Seems to be a very controversial ink - people either love it or hate it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just ordered a Pelikan Blue M400 EF Nib. ... Dumb as a box of rocks, I am

proxy.php

This is Fred.

Fred is a box of rocks.

Fred hasn't ordered a fountain pen online.

Fred is smarter than you.

I was flamed before for this stand by rabid fanboys on another forum and it's a sore subject for me.

proxy.php

proxy.php

(IMHO, it really depends which Noodler's ink one is talking about. Some of the "basic" ones behave rather well, but most of the "extreme" niche inks with oddball qualities tend to require more patience and TLC in compensation for the oddball extreme qualities they offer. But there are more than enough other great inks out that that is someone wants to just avoid all the Noodler's inks, I don't mind and don't take offence.)

I had some flow issues with the noodlers inks I have tried such as liberties Elysium and 54th mass. It might have been a bad batch but I usually just stick with inks that are tried and tested. There are a lot of inks out there for everyone so I say use what you like. I am also of the opinion to please not put baystate blue in a Pelican.

captp

Enjoy the Pelikan. I’ll be keeping my eye out for your PIF; I could use a few inks to try.
John, you are the lucky winner of my first, unannounced Ink PIF.
4 inks of your choice from what I have. 4-5ml each. Pick 4 below
Noodler's Black
Diamine Regency Blue
Diamine 1864 Blue Black (very dark]
Diamine Dark Forest (a very nice, fairly dark green)
Diamine Imperial Purple
Herbin Rouge Grenat (very nice red)

And, If you can wait a few days:
Noodler's Baystate Blue (arriving this week sometime, I think)
Herbin Lierre Sauvage (a very nice green, also arriving this week, I think)

John, you are the lucky winner of my first, unannounced Ink PIF.
4 inks of your choice from what I have. 4-5ml each. Pick 4 below
Noodler's Black
Diamine Regency Blue
Diamine 1864 Blue Black (very dark]
Diamine Dark Forest (a very nice, fairly dark green)
Diamine Imperial Purple
Herbin Rouge Grenat (very nice red)

And, If you can wait a few days:
Noodler's Baystate Blue (arriving this week sometime, I think)
Herbin Lierre Sauvage (a very nice green, also arriving this week, I think)
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Congrats John!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

Oh wow! Thanks! That might be the easiest PIF ever; I don’t even have to make up a joke or anything.

I vote for the Diamine Regency Blue, Herbin Rouge Grenat and Lierre Sauvage, and Noodlers Baystate Blue.

captp

Oh wow! Thanks! That might be the easiest PIF ever; I don’t even have to make up a joke or anything.

I vote for the Diamine Regency Blue, Herbin Rouge Grenat and Lierre Sauvage, and Noodlers Baystate Blue.
If you want, you can tell a joke.
As soon as the last arrive, I'll get the samples filled and in the post.

Top Bottom