What's new

Zamak hating seems to be trendy these days

I don't really understand all the hate Zamak gets. Yes, your head may snap off (although it seems much more common in some razors than others, which is more indicative of people who just aren't as good at engineering around the metal they're using), but it's not really going to change the quality of the shave given they're all plated in nickel or chrome anyway. And if you drop your vintage Gillette, it may not break but you could easily end up with a wonky blade gap or uneven doors for TTOs. Corrosion after plating loss could be an issue, but this will normally take quite a few years as long as you take reasonably good care of the razor.

Don't forget that some of the most beloved modern heads, like the R41, are Zamak. It's not going to change the "feel" of a razor, that is the fault of simple poor engineering.

I've always been somewhat of a defender of Zamak. I think it's a little fool hearty to declare one alloy the "best." There are many different materials that could be used to make razors, and different materials might be suited for different things. Zamak may not the best alloy as far as longevity is concerned, but many razor designs in use today would never have been possible in other materials. The slant in particular was only recently made from something other than zinc alloy.

I think many people misconstrue that the only reason to use zinc alloys is due to cost. The whole "the just don't make 'em like they used to" line of thinking. Zamak precedes stainless steel as a razor material, and there are many beautiful vintage razors made from the stuff.

I think most of the bad rap came from the fact that there were many low quality manufacturers out there who used zinc alloys to make razors. But there were also a few who made pretty high quality razors with it. Like you said, it's all about knowing your material.

Last edited:
I've always associated that type of metal with "pot metal". I know one is not the other, but there is that connection in my mind. I have a few vintage razors made with zinc alloy and they are not what I consider "top shelf". Still, they shave.

-jim

I've always associated that type of metal with "pot metal". I know one is not the other, but there is that connection in my mind.
I would say that connection needs a refresher then.

Zamaks are specifically defined alloys, with different properties, depending on their intended application.
Pot metal is a generic term for undefined (often low quality) zinc alloys.

After two cases of zamak rot plus one broken Jagger zamak thread I really don't care for razors made of zamak any more.

I don't see it as hate, just a fact. Pure and simple. Seems to me that these days, in many milieus, people conflate facts with hating or loving/endorsing a particular item or policy.

Yes, your head may snap off, but it's not really going to change the quality of the shave given they're all plated in nickel or chrome anyway.

I don't know about you, but the head snapping off is definitely going to change the quality of my shave. :lol:

I don't hate Zamak razors, it's just that, all other things being equal, I prefer ones made of more durable materials like brass or stainless steel. Doubtless some Zamak razors are very good, but too many aren't.

Nobody over here in Europe is discussing this topic. I didn't hear anybody having problems with zamak razors, which doesn't mean that there aren't any. It can't be that bad, when I see how much the people in the US pay for i.e. an Apollo or a Hoffritz.

Last edited:
I don't see it as hate, just a fact. Pure and simple. Seems to me that these days, in many milieus, people conflate facts with hating or loving/endorsing a particular item or policy.

I see it more as people trying to justify their spending of hundreds of dollars on stainless razors.

There are thousands of people with these zinc alloy razors that have experienced no issues at all. In fact, there are many more people with good experiences than negative ones.

I read posts about these stainless razors and think that they're more of a vanity purchase to be bragged about than them being superior shavers. I see people saying that they will last many lifetimes, but I've only got the one, so what difference does it make.

I own four modern razors made of Zamak alloy and don't have a problem with any of them. It is unfortunate that not everyone has had a good experience though. I still plan on purchasing razors made of this material and will most likely keep doing so.

Zamak, huh, yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, uh-huh, uh-huh

Zamak, huh, yeah
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, say it again, y'all

Zamak, huh, good god
What is it good for?
Absolutely nothing, listen to me

I see it more as people trying to justify their spending of hundreds of dollars on stainless razors.

There are thousands of people with these zinc alloy razors that have experienced no issues at all. In fact, there are many more people with good experiences than negative ones.

I read posts about these stainless razors and think that they're more of a vanity purchase to be bragged about than them being superior shavers. I see people saying that they will last many lifetimes, but I've only got the one, so what difference does it make.

It's just the marketplace, there is something for everyone at all different price points - from stainless to plastic. There are bound to be folks who think zinc-alloy is pure luxury. :biggrin1:

But to address one of your points, I have many plated brass razors that I know have lasted at a minimum of one lifetime because I got them at an estate sale - not to mention my Dad's. I'm very glad that they made things to last back then, although a fresh coat of nickel is sometimes needed.

-jim

I've been wet shaving for just under 2 years and in that time, I've had an alloy head snap off on me as well as had the finish bubbling up and chipping off of a razor I LOVED after only 2 weeks of use! My experience hasn't resulted in hate for alloys but it has soured me on them and I won't buy any more of them. I currently have 6 razors and only 1 has an alloy head. It's most likely the first one I'd sell.

The issue has nothing to do with the quality of shave you can get with an alloy head. My favorite shaver of all time had an alloy head that went bad and sadly, I can't bring myself to replace it only to worry about when it's going to happen again. An alloy head is only as good as the integrity of its finish. Once that finish is compromised, it's the beginning of the end for that razor head. If the finish on a brass razor is compromised, it's merely a cosmetic issue. The head will continue to last for multiple decades or longer.

Okay ... Porsche door handles keep up for decades. Old ones are known for pitting, but it takes a long time. What do you do to your razors to destroy them in two years?

People that use the term 'pot metal' generally are showing their ignorance, IMHO. A moden alloy is so much different than they were in the past when people just mixed what was left over.

I would rather have a razor head that breaks and needs to be replaced, than a razor head that bends and slices me up. That said, I've never broken a head on any of my Merkurs or Cadets, but I have bent a Gillette.

I see it as a personal preference really.

You can get a stainless that is low maintenance.

Vintage plated brass that is low maintenance and easily replated.

Or a Zamak razor that while used in many modern razor designs, does not suffer the work environment well if the plating is compromised and good luck trying to have it replated. And between the stories of broken heads and blistering chrome, I do not see how we as a generation of wet shavers will have anything to pass on to our children. Why I think Zamak was created and funded by the "big disposable razor" industry. That plan is to undermine the..............maybe the OP has a point.:blushing:

Top Bottom