What's new

Blackland osprey...magic? My soul razor? Something else?

I too am intrigued by this razor. I will likely wait for the titanium version. I hope it won’t be out too soon, so my bank account can recover a bit more. I have owned a few adjustable razors, but currently only have a Tatara Muramasa in the rotation. I wish it had just a bit more range sometimes, a problem it appears the Osprey doesn’t have.
I am just about to start trying out a Blackbird, so it’s always possible my interest in the Osprey may diminish, but then again I’ll likely have another flare-up of my RAD.
Jack

I too am intrigued by this razor. I will likely wait for the titanium version. I hope it won’t be out too soon, so my bank account can recover a bit more. I have owned a few adjustable razors, but currently only have a Tatara Muramasa in the rotation. I wish it had just a bit more range sometimes, a problem it appears the Osprey doesn’t have.
I am just about to start trying out a Blackbird, so it’s always possible my interest in the Osprey may diminish, but then again I’ll likely have another flare-up of my RAD.
Jack

Unfortunately for your RAD, the Osprey Titanium goes on pre-order sale this Friday. :)

The story of my life! When you’re low on funds, all kinds of stuff you want pops up, but when you have some free money, there’s very little interesting stuff available. Serves me right for being mostly interested in out-of-production things, mostly sporting goods.
Jack

Got the email, my question is why is Ti so pricy?

Cost of Raw material? Problem’s machining?

This is the same ratio as the titanium-to-stainless ratio for our other products. Titanium is a more expensive material, but the bulk of the extra cost comes from machining. It requires more expensive tooling, uses slower feeds and speeds, and it chews through tooling quickly. The way titanium wears tools requires more focused QC than stainless because it grinds tools down while stainless tooling tends to stay pretty sharp until the tool shatters. This tool wear leads to more parts missing QC which get thrown out so to avoid that you have to replace tooling more frequently. That means using more of that expensive tooling and it means more downtime. There are also special considerations for proper chip breaking/evacuation to avoid chip welding (a piece of removed titanium that wraps around and welds itself back onto the part).

We've also decided that we're moving back to a machined titanium finish. This requires a more thoughtful (slower) machining approach since you can't just blast away uglier surfaces left by faster machining.

This is the same ratio as the titanium-to-stainless ratio for our other products. Titanium is a more expensive material, but the bulk of the extra cost comes from machining. It requires more expensive tooling, uses slower feeds and speeds, and it chews through tooling quickly. The way titanium wears tools requires more focused QC than stainless because it grinds tools down while stainless tooling tends to stay pretty sharp until the tool shatters. This tool wear leads to more parts missing QC which get thrown out so to avoid that you have to replace tooling more frequently. That means using more of that expensive tooling and it means more downtime. There are also special considerations for proper chip breaking/evacuation to avoid chip welding (a piece of removed titanium that wraps around and welds itself back onto the part).

We've also decided that we're moving back to a machined titanium finish. This requires a more thoughtful (slower) machining approach since you can't just blast away uglier surfaces left by faster machining.
Having spent couple of years as Tool & Die apprentice on 1960’s.

Ti still is bummer to work with in 2024. Think Ti has its place but was not fun to work with.

Thx.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Your honesty goes leaps and bounds Shane, when you discuss what you folks go through in the machining business. I've also heard other machinists echo what you've said as well. I'm sure those CNC bits for milling titanium cost like 100 bucks a pop too, the tooling that you mentioned, it gets crazy expensive for machine shops. It appears to me that titanium is a wonderful thing to have, just not a wonderful thing to work with in the machine shop lol. People got to realize though, if you want premium, your gonna pay premium too for it.

I gotta say though, you really surprised me, on how you got the weight down on the SS Osprey! You may not realize this, but there are many other SS adjustable razors, that weigh more then then the Osprey. I remember in your build video's, you talked about carving out the squares in the head, in order to reduce weight. And keeping the adjustment mechanism in the head, was also for reducing weight, while introducing simplicity.

I just want you to know, that you did an amazing job with the SS Osprey Shane, I really love mine, its a razor of perfection, and the Osprey became my one true love razor. 😍

When do you anticipate the machined versions being available? I've been waiting until the satin BB Ti stand and Lite Ti plate were in stock at the same time to order (they finally are; I've missed numerous opportunities at second-hand examples, unfortunately), but now I may go for a whole machined setup instead. I originally tried to get my hands on a machined Ti version a while back, but I never could find one so I grabbed a second-hand satin version instead.

I've been advocating for less money spent on shaving gear lately, but I would gladly eat my words to pick up a machined BB Ti; it's very likely the best overall razor I've ever used (well, the satin one at least; would love it if the post could accommodate Kai blades though). I plan on selling off a ton of gear sometime soon anyway, so this would be some great timing.

Last edited:
Your honesty goes leaps and bounds Shane, when you discuss what you folks go through in the machining business. I've also heard other machinists echo what you've said as well. I'm sure those CNC bits for milling titanium cost like 100 bucks a pop too, the tooling that you mentioned, it gets crazy expensive for machine shops. It appears to me that titanium is a wonderful thing to have, just not a wonderful thing to work with in the machine shop lol. People got to realize though, if you want premium, your gonna pay premium too for it.

I gotta say though, you really surprised me, on how you got the weight down on the SS Osprey! You may not realize this, but there are many other SS adjustable razors, that weigh more then then the Osprey. I remember in your build video's, you talked about carving out the squares in the head, in order to reduce weight. And keeping the adjustment mechanism in the head, was also for reducing weight, while introducing simplicity.

I just want you to know, that you did an amazing job with the SS Osprey Shane, I really love mine, its a razor of perfection, and the Osprey became my one true love razor. 😍

That's really nice of you to say. Thanks for the kind words and support!

When do you anticipate the machined versions being available? I've been waiting until the satin BB Ti stand and Lite Ti plate were in stock at the same time to order (they finally are; I've missed numerous opportunities at second-hand examples, unfortunately), but now I may go for a whole machined setup instead. I originally tried to get my hands on a machined Ti version a while back, but I never could find one so I grabbed a second-hand satin version instead.

I've been advocating for less money spent on shaving gear lately, but I would gladly eat my words to pick up a machined BB Ti; it's very likely the best overall razor I've ever used (well, the satin one at least; would love it if the post could accommodate Kai blades though). I plan on selling off a ton of gear sometime soon anyway, so this would be some great timing.

Machined finish Blackbird Titanium should be stocked in about six weeks. We are likely going to accept pre-orders on that starting in the next few days. Of course, we're going to produce enough that we shouldn't sell out so you aren't required to pre-order to secure one.

Something about this razor on setting 3 is so gentle it's like an electric razor. It feels like it's cutting just above the skin.
I've posted on the other thread- my experience is the same, 3.5-6.5 is glorious. I put off trying one for about a year; after all, what could another adjustable do that everything from a Fatboy to a Sailor could not?!

Daaaaang. Shane found the magic sauce!:c2:

(edits: why can I not do dates right today??)

Well the Ospray seem to have been made as good as it can be.

Have not seen anyone sell one off in Sale/Trade Forum, so it must be keeper.🏆

Well, true that you don't see anyone selling their Osprey's but, you also have to take into consideration that some users returned theirs back to Blackland within the 30 day trial period. Those that kept them were either extremely satisfied with their Osprey (like me) and perhaps a smaller group that are extremely loyal to the Blackland brand.

Personally, I think that their Ti version is going to be their best offering yet as this alloy is known for being softer or warmer on the skin over Stainless. That's been my experience with Titanium in the razor game.

Congrats on acquiring your Osprey but, more importantly, achieving your personal shave nirvana. The Osprey is a fantastic shaver that delivers on quality & performance. And the look of a Blackland razor is unique to the brand. Yeah, I’m biased and a Fanboy but, I don’t give a rats rear. Blackland & excellence are a synonymous pairing in the wet shaving world, period.

Enjoy your shaves for many years to come amigo…. :straight:
Yep you're right Gus A team member got a home run, his shaving Nirvana, that's great!

Well, true that you don't see anyone selling their Osprey's but, you also have to take into consideration that some users returned theirs back to Blackland within the 30 day trial period. Those that kept them were either extremely satisfied with their Osprey (like me) and perhaps a smaller group that are extremely loyal to the Blackland brand.

Personally, I think that their Ti version is going to be their best offering yet as this alloy is known for being softer or warmer on the skin over Stainless. That's been my experience with Titanium in the razor game.

Well I do not do brand locality thing unless products are 110% great.

Honestly Ospray looks intresting, but like a Wolfman something will not jump on.

I have an Adjustable Vintage Gillette, it serve me well.

Have thought on Replating, but again it works as is.

Your are right about 30 Blackland Trail, good thing.

Wonder why Shane don’t do something creative like pet owned sale?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I knew it was a typo but I wasn’t smart enough to figure it out. Add to that, we are missing our cat, since we are traveling for 3 weeks. My mind went to him shaving with the gear I left behind. <eg>

Top Bottom