What's new

Razor wars - Greencult 1.0 versus Swing

The next comparison of razors in my den pertains to the Greencult 1.0 and Swing. I will first give a general impression and will then follow up with individual shave results.

Greencult 1.0

This was the first (well, actually second) razor brought to the market by Fairschenkt from Austria. They sourced their head at first (Zamak still available from their website I think) before deciding to make their own. This turned out as the Greencult 1.0 - an all stainless steel CNC-d razor. It first came out in 2022 I believe, might have been late 2021 and was very cheap at the time. It weighs about 120g-125g and is recognisable by the headposts going through the baseplate rather than sunk into the baseplate like they currently do with the Greencult 2.0.

The Greencult 1.0 is unobtanium at the moment unless available through the BST. The closest to its specifications baseplate III of the Greencult 2.0 razor - but in actuality the GC1 sits between III and IV.

The Greencult 1 is an assertive razor with a blade gap of .95 and blade exposure of .25. Blade tabs are fully covered with this razor. The head weighs 33g and the OEM handle weighs 78g (I have a love/hate relationship with this handle).

There is definitely blade feel, but not dangerously so - although it might bite you if you let your guard down. The Greencult 1.0 can be a very effective razor depending on which blade you pair it with.

Swing

The Swing is from Sweden and together with its kin Matador is a staple of DE shaving. It has a bakelite handle and is - as far as I can tell - made out of solid brass (but I could easily believe that it is actually an all-stainless steel razor too) with either a nickel or chrome plating. I assume nickel by the way as this was the way back in the day I believe. I am not too familiar with bakelite in razors, so I have stored the handle away and use my @lasta handles instead.

Not much is known about these razors, but searching the internet I found out that Swing razors where made between 1923 and 1952 and Swing not only made razors, but also razor blades (a few were supplied with the razor I bought). Same again as Matador. There is no way of telling what the specific date on this Swing is as Swing does not have date codes like Gillette's carried.

Together with the bakelite handle I am tempted to think the 1920s-1930s would be an accurate indication.

I don’t have proper tooling or equipment, but eyeing the gap it is somewhere between .9 and 1.0 with a fair amount of positive blade exposure as well. Some excellent measures and pictures can be found in Mitch’s (@mgweatherly) journal here. As with the GC1 blade tabs are fully covered. The head weighs 33g with a 23g handle (my Lasta Lavender Handle - I don’t use the OEM handle, but it’s about the same weight).

So this is modern versus vintage. Stay tuned for shaving details as I use the Swing this upcoming week.

Ok, so the shave results are in as of today.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
03.01.2024Greencult 1.0RK Stainless (6)10108.75
04.01.2024Greencult 1.0RK Stainless (7)1068
05.01.2024Greencult 1.0RK Stainless (8)679
08.01.2024SwingRK Stainless (11)998.75
09.01.2024SwingTreet Black (1)888
10.01.2024SwingJiLiFan (1)1088.75

Average GC1

Average Swing

Notes

At face value both razors are performing similarly with a sligth advantage to the GC1 in terms of results. From my personal experience it is however clear that the GC1 provides a potentially harsher shave compared to the Swing which I think is in part due to huge positive blade exposure. But in this particular case I think it is more on the blade actually. I usually get 5-6 shaves out of a RK Stainless (great blade suggested and very kindly provided to me by Canadian connection Paul @awk_m4) and this time I pushed the envelop somewhat by sharpening and honing the blade. That definitely helped, but the 6 score was in between the blade decreasing in performance and me honing it - as can be seen when the Swing took over with the RK going on 11 shaves and still delivered a great shave. The Treet is the odd one out. I might have honed this blade (and it being a carbon blade that woud actually have been easier than a stainless one), but Treet is no Treet for me. The JiLiFan blade is neither for me, but at least it is more comfortable while results per shave are on par (Treet is deteriorating during passes).

For this particular comparison I am giving the win to the Swing for overall ease of use and milder sensations post shave. It is slightly obscured because of the skin issues I had with my preshave (they seemed to have been resolved now - and I am also not using the RK nor the Treet anymore. There might be no correlation or it might be every correlation). That said the GC1 is a phenomenal shaver that is best equipped with a clean sharp blade. KCG, Titan or Gillette Platinum come to mind.

If you can find one at a reasonable price point and you are up for it, get yourself a Swing. An excellent razor in my opinion. Very glad that @Jack Goossen brought these Swedish gems (together with the Matador) to my attention when I thought vintage was spelled G-i-l-l-e-t-t-e.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am amazed that you already could try these only recently here mentioned JiLi something blades! I haven't heard of the "Swing" either, but that's my lack of vintage razor knowledge.

I might be tempted by fellow forum members to buy something in the current ongoing winter sale on a certain platform.
But I already looked up the predicated sales for 2024 and hehe, no worries, there will be sales even after the winter sale. Who would have thought that...^^

Kudos for putting so much effort and enthusiam into your report. I can say my latest Mellon SS shave was also very nice, but I had some felt stubble on the neck I corrected in the morning with my Timeless Slim. When switching razors every time I fear that I simply cannot achieve that last bit of perfection with any razor anymore. I only shave every other day in general, so maybe I should shave for one-two weeks with the very same razor before switching.

I call it the razor harem problem.

The next comparison of razors in my den pertains to the Greencult 1.0 and Swing. I will first give a general impression and will then follow up with individual shave results.

Greencult 1.0

This was the first (well, actually second) razor brought to the market by Fairschenkt from Austria. They sourced their head at first (Zamak still available from their website I think) before deciding to make their own. This turned out as the Greencult 1.0 - an all stainless steel CNC-d razor. It first came out in 2022 I believe, might have been late 2021 and was very cheap at the time. It weighs about 120g-125g and is recognisable by the headposts going through the baseplate rather than sunk into the baseplate like they currently do with the Greencult 2.0.

The Greencult 1.0 is unobtanium at the moment unless available through the BST. The closest to its specifications baseplate III of the Greencult 2.0 razor - but in actuality the GC1 sits between III and IV.

The Greencult 1 is an assertive razor with a blade gap of .95 and blade exposure of .25. Blade tabs are fully covered with this razor. The head weighs 33g and the OEM handle weighs 78g (I have a love/hate relationship with this handle).

There is definitely blade feel, but not dangerously so - although it might bite you if you let your guard down. The Greencult 1.0 can be a very effective razor depending on which blade you pair it with.

Swing

The Swing is from Sweden and together with its kin Matador is a staple of DE shaving. It has a bakelite handle and is - as far as I can tell - made out of solid brass (but I could easily believe that it is actually an all-stainless steel razor too) with either a nickel or chrome plating. I assume nickel by the way as this was the way back in the day I believe. I am not too familiar with bakelite in razors, so I have stored the handle away and use my @lasta handles instead.

Not much is known about these razors, but searching the internet I found out that Swing razors where made between 1923 and 1952 and Swing not only made razors, but also razor blades (a few were supplied with the razor I bought). Same again as Matador. There is no way of telling what the specific date on this Swing is as Swing does not have date codes like Gillette's carried.

Together with the bakelite handle I am tempted to think the 1920s-1930s would be an accurate indication.

I don’t have proper tooling or equipment, but eyeing the gap it is somewhere between .9 and 1.0 with a fair amount of positive blade exposure as well. Some excellent measures and pictures can be found in Mitch’s (@mgweatherly) journal here. As with the GC1 blade tabs are fully covered. The head weighs 33g with a 23g handle (my Lasta Lavender Handle - I don’t use the OEM handle, but it’s about the same weight).

So this is modern versus vintage. Stay tuned for shaving details as I use the Swing this upcoming week.
That vintage one looks really cool. I like the handle and the flat head. It really looks unique.

Of course being from Sweden I am enabled by @Guido75 's Swing tests. I do already own the Swedish Matador Deluxe which is a fantastic and performance beast razor. It is onw of my very best razors and I am not saying that just because I am from Sweden. It is just that good. At some point I will have to get my hands on a Swing as well. I guess I will have to enlist my sister, who still lives in Sweden, again.

Of course being from Sweden I am enabled by @Guido75 's Swing tests. I do already own the Swedish Matador Deluxe which is a fantastic and performance beast razor. It is onw of my very best razors and I am not saying that just because I am from Sweden. It is just that good. At some point I will have to get my hands on a Swing as well. I guess I will have to enlist my sister, who still lives in Sweden, again.
All I can say is that the Swing is a Matador with a HEMI engine. At least to me. The Matador does provide a milder shave in terms of feel. Both are extremely effective. They do appear on that Swedish site (you know the one) every now and again.

All I can say is that the Swing is a Matador with a HEMI engine. At least to me. The Matador does provide a milder shave in terms of feel. Both are extremely effective. They do appear on that Swedish site (you know the one) every now and again.
Indeed and I just checked it out and I looked at finished auctions and you can get a Swing for about 250 SEK ~ $25 which is not bad. However, I found another Swedish razor and that is "Record Succe`"(Record Success if I translate it). Never seen that one before. It does have some resemblance to the Matador DeLuxe though.
1707855444450.png
1707855468483.png

Top Bottom