What's new

Your favorite stone to set a bevel?

I just wanted to get some feedback on some of your preferences. If you would be so kind as to post what stone is best to set a bevel with on new razors particularly. Thanks for the feedback, best wishes.

Bevel establishment: DMT 1200. Cuts fast, I know exactly when the razor is done. BUT, it leaves horrid scratch marks. Have to go over it with my Nani 1k a lot just to remove the scratches. Kind of annoying, but it actually saves me time.

Bevel reset: Nani 1k. So far. Still experimenting.

Bevel establishment: DMT 1200. Cuts fast, I know exactly when the razor is done. BUT, it leaves horrid scratch marks. Have to go over it with my Nani 1k a lot just to remove the scratches. Kind of annoying, but it actually saves me time.

Your very kind, thank you!!!!!

I use a Naniwa superstone 800grit/5000grit combination stone.
The lower grit sets the bevel and the higher grit sharpens the edge in preparation for the final polishing on a 8000+grit finishing hone.

It hones in a similar fashion to other Japanese 1000/6000 hones like the King series combination hone or the cerax combination hone. The Naniwa has the advantage of being a nice big sized hone.

If you intend to use the hone for DIY home use, the combination hone is a great choice and good value for money. However if you intend to use the hone professionally, it is better to to buy individual hones. The naniwa chosera 1000, or the cerax 1000 are both top quality choices for setting bevels. They do a good job and they will last for a long time.

If I only have one stone that says 1k, does that mean I can still say +1?

If so, DMT 1200. Leighton does have a point when he says it can leave some insane scratches though. I don't have another 1k to fix that problem though, I just fix it on the 4k side of my Norton :cool:.

DMT users , please note DMT uses mesh and micron for grit ratings .

Obviously will not compare grit to grit with an ANSI American grit , Norton or a Japanese waterstone for example .

http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/colorcode.htm

Another example is the DMT Extra Extra fine . Per the link above graphically demonstrating micron ratings on DMT hones , this is rated at 3 microns . This equates to 1500 ANSI American grit . This is not even up to a Spyderco fine hone at 1800 . DMT 1200 "mesh" is 1000 ANSI grit . And leaves horrid scratch marks .

cityjim

Leighon ,

how does the need to use an additional hone save you time ?

Would three extra hones cut that time savings down even more ? See what I mean ? :wink2:

Using your stones on the American grit scale , you use your DMT 1200 "mesh" at 1000 ANSI "grit" with horrid scratch marks . Then you progress backwards to your Nani 1K which comes in at 700 ANSI grit to clean up the DMT mess . :confused::confused:

http://users.ameritech.net/knives/grits.htm

cityjim

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I really appreciate you going into the descriptions as to why and when your selection really shines and how to correct or improve in the results of said stone. There are some very generous folks here and for that I am grateful. Thanks for your help, keep'em coming.:001_smile

Top Bottom