What's new

Yet Another Which Pomade Thread

What you want is called Redken Polish Up.

I've used all the Murrays, groom and clean and other crap.

The Redken stuff works and rinses right out.

I would second trying the Axe stuff first. Most people here have a blind hatred of Axe, but their hair products are quite nice and very accessible. If I remember correctly there are two varieties of the pomade--the one with the purple label is what you'll probably want.

I think Axe has at least 4 types of pomade now, and a cream or two too... The wife gets mine at Walmart when she picks up odds and ends...

I've been using American Crew for several years. Started with the pomade but am now using their Defining Paste, which is described as "medium hold, low shine". Works great for me.

Grant's works great, I'd recommend it or even Axe. While Grant's is expensive per jar they are pretty darn big, 4.5oz if I'm not mistaken.

Thats what alot of people don't realize, Grants is 4.5 oz where the other stuff I used was mostly in 2.5 oz range, so when it comes down to it, it's not that much more expensive than alot of pomades out there and it's damn sure alot better when it comes to performance.

Chris

Murray's
Dax
American Crew
Layrite

When in doubt...use more pomade.

+1 on the Murray's. I have used it to keep my hair spiked before, and also to waterproof boots, stop a leak in a rubber raft with a cloth patch, paste things to the wall, seal seams on my map case, and as a fire starter. It is waxy at room temp, and gets softer at high heat. Just about as useful as duct tape....

Correct me if I am wrong but I've been advised not to use these as these are (very) greasy and shiny pomades and are opposite of what I'm going for. I'm after something very little greasy and with as little shine as possible (kinda prefer matte finish).

American Crew makes several different different pomades. Just go on their site and take a look. I use their Fiber pomade which is high hold and low shine. I usually pick mine up at Nordstroms rack for about $14.00 a puck.

Came across this blog while researching some Pomades. Apparently there is an entire pomade underground world...These are some real deal pomades, not your typical Target store stuff. Hope I'm not opening up a new can of worms, but those who are interested in pomade should check this out. Who would have thought that the Pompadour is back in style??
http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/pomade-reviews/

Wow! That's a heck of a website. I use Axe. I have started wearing my hair longer and Axe seems to really do the trick.
Came across this blog while researching some Pomades. Apparently there is an entire pomade underground world...These are some real deal pomades, not your typical Target store stuff. Hope I'm not opening up a new can of worms, but those who are interested in pomade should check this out. Who would have thought that the Pompadour is back in style??
http://therebelrouser.wordpress.com/pomade-reviews/

youd want to check out a water soluable pomade, if you want hold and it being not greasy. but, with there pomade they will most likely harden like a gel, but when you recomb your hair it will become softer, but still a strong hold, and become totally matte. my favs are.

suavacito, firme hold, or regular (smells like rum and coca cola mixed with spices, really really nice)
layrite, super or regular (smell like vanilla....almost too good of a smell. but cost a bit more than suavacito)
tres flores molding pomade (smells like awesome flowers and usually under $6)
monkey brains monkey grease (smells kinda grapey/flowery and holds just as good as layrite but for $2. if its not discontinued its the best by far)

those are really all you need if you want non greasy easy washable with lots of hold.

I've probably posted this a dozen times....Woody's Pomade. Have your hair stylist order it. You won't be sorry. It's water based, so it won't dry your scalp or leave your hair feeling like you washed it with motor oil when you wake up the next morning. Some of the ingredients include: Ginger Root, Hemp seed oil and Yucca Vera.

Top Bottom