What's new

B&B Membership Does Change Over Time, Doesn't It?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Kind of felt the same way at first, but...
There are SO MANY non-shaving related areas here that are extremely active that no matter what your interests are, there are sure to be discussions about something that interests you. I found my way into many other lifestyle areas once my shave was settled. I post most often in Non-Shaving related areas now.

There are specific benefits to being a Contributor, besides ad removal. Contributors have access to The Contributor forum, and another Contributor BST that doesn't have the posting limits of the regular BST, they also have access to the stock exchange in the Brown Leaf where tobacco is traded and PIF'd. There is Contributor only swag available from time to time.
Aside from that, questions, discussions and decisions on site policy is rolled out in the Contributor forum, and Contributors have a much stronger position on policy and site changes/additions.
Whether those items are sufficient to "make it worth it" is up to each individual, and it's not wildly advertised as a means to get people roped in to contributing. The perks are a "Thank you" for becoming a Contributor, not an incentive to entice someone.

I concur the same thought.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have no problems with ads that are unobtrusive. I would not use adblocker if the ads were just hyperlinks like in the old Google days, or neatly fit between posts and didn't hog memory.

I have a huge problem with ads that actively block content and slow down browsing to a halt. I will actually go out of my way to avoid the product they advertise, if I remember it later.

As to the membership fee - once it becomes mandatory, it's no longer a voluntary show of support, it's a subscription. And as any subscription, it needs to present a value proposition, which in my subjective view requires more than just allowing users to access other users' posts.

The Partisan nature of my personality agrees with you. :)

Navigating the forums have become next to impossible/unreadable with the ads that take forever to load and obscure content.

After 8 years I've almost had it.

Not paying for membership, I watch my $.

Thank you.
You made a valid point. 👍
I watch my shilling 💷 and pence cents too.

Particularly now, there is one add here in North America (Canada at least) that plasters over multiple post, obliterating them.
Highly annoying. 😣

One way around is to switch on one’s tunnel and enter through an overseas server.
You still get adds, but at least they don’t overlay several posts, making them unreadable.

B.

A contributor tag works out to less than 7 cents a day, or less than 50 cents a week.
Is B&B worth 50 cents a week to you or not?
That's the bottom line.

Hello Phil,

as much as I see your point, let me put it this way.

Having moderated non shaving related forums myself, I understand that the money to run a website like this has to come from somewhere. And I don’t expect the owner of the website to pay for it for the love of one’s hobby. If the website should be run to make a profit, I’d get a bit more cautious however.

For the purpose of running this website, I do accept a certain number of advertisements.
If these advertisements become too intrusive I have to make a choice.

One of the options is to no longer to visit as much, but then again, unlike newspapers where the quality is driven by the quality of the reporters the newspaper employs, the success of a forum website like this is measured by the number of visits, the quantity, and (even more) the quality of forum members’ contributions.
So, reducing visits would be in nobody’s interest, would it?

While in the past I have accepted the advertisements, if you like as “payment” for running the website, the recent bombardment has made me hunker down (reduce my number of visits or visit through an overseas VPN gateway with less intrusive ads) and ultimately choose to install an ad-blocker.

I’m sorry, I would have preferred the old way without ad-blocker, but it became just a bit too much.
Over the last few weeks, these huge chunks of forum page real estate that were covered by ads (that did not even load in time) were getting too annoying.

B.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hello Phil,

as much as I see your point, let me put it this way.

Having moderated non shaving related forums myself, I understand that the money to run a website like this has to come from somewhere. And I don’t expect the owner of the website to pay for it for the love of one’s hobby. If the website should be run to make a profit, I’d get a bit more cautious however.

For the purpose of running this website, I do accept a certain number of advertisements.
If these advertisements become too intrusive I have to make a choice.

One of the options is to no longer to visit as much, but then again, unlike newspapers where the quality is driven by the quality of the reporters the newspaper employs, the success of a forum website like this is measured by the number of visits, the quantity, and (even more) the quality of forum members’ contributions.
So, reducing visits would be in nobody’s interest, would it?

While in the past I have accepted the advertisements, if you like as “payment” for running the website, the recent bombardment has made me hunker down (reduce my number of visits or visit through an overseas VPN gateway with less intrusive ads) and ultimately choose to install an ad-blocker.

I’m sorry, I would have preferred the old way without ad-blocker, but it became just a bit too much.
Over the last few weeks, these huge chunks of forum page real estate that were covered by ads (that did not even load in time) were getting too annoying.

B.
I understand your position.
But understanding it changes nothing.
One has the options available to not see ads, or visit and live with the ads, or just give up and not visit.
In each case, there is nothing we can do to change someone's mind about which option to select.
Good luck.

Nobody can be forced to be smart.
True!

A first sign of intelligence might be to ask the questions "What is an ad blocker?" "How do I install/configure it?" GIYF...

Also -

Nobody can be forced to be generous.

The amazing thing about this forum is that so many people do choose to support it.

I do not know these names that the OP mentioned, but in my short time here on B&B, plenty of people have been generous to me with their time, knowledge, and even a PIF! In no particular order and I apologize for forgetting a few, @mikhou, @Alum Ladd, @dmshaver, @ShavingPrimate, @blethenstrom, @Balin, @lasta, @Ckmaui, @Guido75, @Eric_75, @gpjoe, @nemo are all fine gentlemen and great representatives of the forum. May they be active here for years to come.

Thanks for the shout out...and even though it's never about recognition, I do appreciate the sentiment. 😍

I spend a lot of time here. I’ve made some really good friends and have both learned and shared a lot of great stuff.
I'm sold.

I use Vivaldi and the ads aren't a problem...still, I spend enough time here that 7 cents is a bargain.
That’s awesome @gpjoe !!

This is an excellent thread and will keep the 7 cents/day when it’s time to renew. For all the time spent here with my friends, it’s a super affordable way to help show my appreciation!

I spend a lot of time here. I’ve made some really good friends and have both learned and shared a lot of great stuff.

That’s awesome @gpjoe !!

This is an excellent thread and will keep the 7 cents/day when it’s time to renew. For all the time spent here with my friends, it’s a super affordable way to help show my appreciation!
Same for me. Best $25 investment. Lots of invaluable knowledge and people around here.

I've been here since 2006 and have seen many come and go. Sadly, many who I considered friends have passed away-including vendors.

Others have moved on and new ones come along. From time to time, I will drop off for a few months or so, but invariably I make my way back because if I want to know what's going on in the shaving world, this is the place to be.

FOMO is part of the issue- I have missed out on UFO handles for my King Cobra, Penhaligon's tallowy goodness, stocking up on Sir Irisch Moos shave sticks, etc. I wonder about those who come back and find out Tallow has been removed from MWF and Tabac- they will be truly shocked.

The products change, and the people most definitely do, but B&B has remained consistent in its mission to provide shaving information to the masses and that's what I appreciate most.

marty

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
My man @OkieStubble is a contributor now!

Jason Sudeikis Finger Guns GIF by Apple TV+

Top Bottom