What's new

New member, looking to make switch to wet shaving

Hello B&B members.

I've been reading a little bit but just joined and this is my first post.

I used cartridge razors for many years, used an electric for the last few years, and recently switch back to cartridges, but would like to try wet shaving. So far I am still researching what supplies I should get.

I shave about 3-4 days/week. I have probably average facial hair coverage in the mustache and chin areas, but very light back from there. I could grow something of a mustache and goatee / circle beard, but there is very little on my cheeks and not even really any sideburns to speak of. I do have hair I need to shave on my neck, and my neck is pretty sensitive.

I'm looking for any pointers you may have, but specifically for first razor recommendations. I don't know what will work best for me, so I don't want to spend too much on my first razor, but I also prefer the idea of buying more sturdy, longer lasting items. I'm sure some of the more popular razors recommended to beginners actually hold up pretty well, but I like the idea of stainless or brass construction over zamak. I understand it's not very reasonable to ask for highest quality and low cost, but I do have a bit of a bias as far as the materials. I assume that would mean I'd have better luck with a vintage/used razor, but let me know if I'm missing something.

I was looking at these online:

I'm not necessarily set on a vintage razor, but I was assuming that was the most likely way to avoid the pot metal while still keeping the price a bit lower. Any other recommendations you can make for a beginner, daily or every other day shaver, with fairly light facial hair coverage would be welcome. I'd also welcome any recommendations for first brushes, soaps, kits, etc.

I don't know if there's anything unique to my questions here, other than maybe the bias against zamak, so if there are existing threads that have the generally accepted recommendations that would apply for me please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! I would say the GEM is a no-no if you're just starting out. A good tech is an awesome place to start. Mind your sellers reputation when purchasing online.

Other popular starting razors are the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Stainless steel wise I'd look into Razorock's Game Changer. My two pennies.

And really, don't drive yourself crazy overthinking it. Start with something that appeals to you, stay away from anything overly aggressive and take your time getting to know one another. You'll be fine!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome to B&B! I would say the GEM is a no-no if you're just starting out.

Takes a different approach for going under the nose, I hear. Aside from that the Clog-Pruf is reputed to be one of the milder Gem razors. Under the umbrella of vintage American Safety Razor (ASR) products, I find most Gem razors to be milder than most Ever Ready razors, which in turn are milder than the single example of a Star razor I tried. So definitely keep it on your wish list, but start with a DE.

One thing about starting with a new razor as opposed to used, however. It's always about your technique, especially while you're still building your technique. With good technique you can shave with literally anything, and occasionally here you'll see somebody go out and prove that with an axe or just putting a razor blade on a bolt and shaving with that. My opinion is that a used razor is fine, but when you're building skill having a new razor in your hand will take one variable out of the equation. I always wonder, "Are my problems with this razor all me, or did it somehow get damaged by the previous owner in some way I can't see?"

In other words, it makes it harder to blame the razor when the difficulty is elsewhere. Yeah, occasionally you'll get a "Friday at 4:30" razor that came off the line wrong, but that's not common for most reputable brands.

Welcome to B&B! You've got a great journey on the go.

O.H.

Welcome. I started with an old SuperSpeed recommended by, and bought from, another member when I joined. The tech is a good starter. It's inexpensive, light and not very aggressive. The Merkur 34c is a little thicker and heavier, and probably a bit more aggressive than the tech. A 34G (gold version) was my favorite DE for a decade until Covid, when I began shaving less frequently and needed a more aggressive DE and blade.

I wouldn't go adjustable as my first. I don't consider them ideal learning DEs. I've had both slim and fat boy and found myself constantly fiddling with the settings.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B! I would say the GEM is a no-no if you're just starting out. A good tech is an awesome place to start. Mind your sellers reputation when purchasing online.

Other popular starting razors are the Merkur 34c and the Edwin Jagger DE89. Stainless steel wise I'd look into Razorock's Game Changer. My two pennies.

And really, don't drive yourself crazy overthinking it. Start with something that appeals to you, stay away from anything overly aggressive and take your time getting to know one another. You'll be fine!
I tend to overthink everything, but I'll try to just decide soon on something with a good reputation and get started. I'll stay away from the GEM for now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Takes a different approach for going under the nose, I hear. Aside from that the Clog-Pruf is reputed to be one of the milder Gem razors. Under the umbrella of vintage American Safety Razor (ASR) products, I find most Gem razors to be milder than most Ever Ready razors, which in turn are milder than the single example of a Star razor I tried. So definitely keep it on your wish list, but start with a DE.

One thing about starting with a new razor as opposed to used, however. It's always about your technique, especially while you're still building your technique. With good technique you can shave with literally anything, and occasionally here you'll see somebody go out and prove that with an axe or just putting a razor blade on a bolt and shaving with that. My opinion is that a used razor is fine, but when you're building skill having a new razor in your hand will take one variable out of the equation. I always wonder, "Are my problems with this razor all me, or did it somehow get damaged by the previous owner in some way I can't see?"

In other words, it makes it harder to blame the razor when the difficulty is elsewhere. Yeah, occasionally you'll get a "Friday at 4:30" razor that came off the line wrong, but that's not common for most reputable brands.

Welcome to B&B! You've got a great journey on the go.

O.H.
Welcome. I started with an old SuperSpeed recommended by, and bought from, another member when I joined. The tech is a good starter. It's inexpensive, light and not very aggressive. The Merkur 34c is a little thicker and heavier, and probably a bit more aggressive than the tech. A 34G (gold version) was my favorite DE for a decade until Covid, when I began shaving less frequently and needed a more aggressive DE and blade.

I wouldn't go adjustable as my first. I don't consider them ideal learning DEs. I've had both slim and fat boy and found myself constantly fiddling with the settings.
Thanks. Good points on new vs used. I wouldn't know how to evaluate a used razor. I assume a razor without parts that open/close or bits that move around for adjustments is at least less likely to have hidden damage. Maybe another reason to avoid an adjustable to start?

Thank you for the responses.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community...

Your first listed item is offered by Dapper Studios.... They are a pretty reliable Etsy site. You can often find less expensive Techs on eBay but that one is a nice silver plated Tech.... If you love it, you can always get it replated in silver by Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold, as I can see the finish is worn a bit, just like you'd expect on something that's been around that long.

I look forward to seeing your progress as you start your journey.... Here on B&B, you might enjoy reading some of the journals that detail the paths various people here have taken. I'll put in a couple links you make it a bit easier as you learn to navigate the site.

Get a Tech, maybe not that Tech. It’s overpriced. If you don’t want to shop around maybe buy it anyway. It’s a lifetime purchase.

You don’t need an adjustable and the single edge scene is a little esoteric and has limited blade selection. If you want to go single edge go with a Schick injector, an E, G or J (or any other) with yellow package “Schick” blades from China, for the best shave possible.

With the Tech get Personna Lab Blue blades; the box says “Comfort Coated”, they’re made in USA and they work well on most faces. Any shave soap will do (I lather with bath soap)

Get a VDH boar brush from a drug store. You might find the excellent VDH soap in that vicinity. You can use canned foam if you want. Minimize the number of variables.

Practice. Shave WTG only to start. Get the angle down. Feel and hear it cut. After a week or two of good WTG shaves, try a XTG second pass. Try that for a week or two, master it and then try a third pass ATG. Work on it. You don’t have to go more than one pass WTG if you don’t want. BBS is not required. Keep it comfortable and fun.

Don’t buy stuff. Learn to use what you have and enjoy a lifetime of great shaves. Wet shaving can be very inexpensive if you apply the golden rule to it: Know the difference between need and want. Indulge the former and eschew the latter. It’s a good rule to apply to everything.

Top Bottom