What's new

Why do you not use SE razor types, vintage or modern, that use GEM type blades in your current rotation?

To me they have very few flaws. They have been around a long time and are well regarded.

These razors are available in mild, moderate and aggressive. They shave just as well as any other razor types. They are easy to use. They are easy to get. They are available in every price range.

What are the reasons more do not use vintage or modern SE’s? Is it because there is not a huge variety of GEM type blades to use or is it because the blades are only one sided? Is it because of the head size or the handle length? Is it because of their heart? Is it because many just do not like how they shave?

What are your reasons for not having an SE, vintage or modern, that use GEM blades, in your current rotation?

I will admit. They are not “perfect” razors. No razor is.

Continue to enjoy your shaves with whichever razor type and blade style combo you choose.

Honestly, Gem razors and the blades look scary and way different to anything around today.

I bought one just to put on my shelf to look cool, and I never intended on using it. Seriously! But one day after a few vids and forum threads saying how great they are, I finally gave it shot and afterwards I thought, wow, great shave!

So now I have 3 of them and use them in my rotation. They are super cheap and most have held up extremely well. You can find a minty, unblemished Gem for about 20 bucks!

I think if you can past the "scary" looks of the contraption, you'll find they shave very well and you'll enjoy the shave and the cool vibe they throw off.

I use a modified Gem on a Oneblade razor in my rotation that delivers a terrific shave every time. The first pass on a fresh Gem is tuggy as the coating is a little thick. I get past that with a little palm stropping. The MMOC might be my favorite vintage as it is so efficient. When that razor was made they were way ahead of their time. Another nice aspect about Gems are that they can easily be resharpened to provide a lot more shaves.

I wonder about that from time to time.

I think for awhile I just wasn't as interested in the Gem-style SE razors I was finding around me in antique stores and whatnot. I had enough DEs to resist purchasing, so it was sort of a matter of prioritizing. It's not so much that I wasn't interested, more that there were other razors I was more interested in.

Some of it is blade availability too, although maybe not much of it.

I guess also I figure if I'm going to get a disposable blade, might as well have one with two edges rather than just one. I think this has been on my mind subconsciously although I don't know that I put a lot of thought into it. Gem-style SE blades I guess subconsciously always seemed kind of like doing less with more material, sort of inefficient or something?

AC-style SE razors have become more interesting to me I think as well. Some of the razors are really appealing to me aesthetically and they're often lighter weight than DE razors, which I'd like, and the dimensions of AC-style blades seem to offer something different. I still haven't purchased one because I have enough razors and I'm less convinced of the cost of AC-style blades being worth it, especially given that there are fewer out there to choose from than DE blades. But my guess is if I was going to try an SE razor, I'd try AC over Gem-style, at least at first.

A lot of it I think just comes down to me having finite income and space and priorities that result. It's not so much that I don't find them interesting or something, it's more so that for me personally there's a list of other things I'd probably want to try first.

I've picked up an Ever-Ready/Gem to try out, but when I looked for blades, the coated stainless blades are next to impossible to source here, and if I do find them only in 100 packs and from places that might need a minimum order size or are just otherwise too expensive for what I want to pay, otherwise I'm just stuck with the 5 packs of carbon steel blades which I came across at a chemist which might not be ideal (haven't even tried them yet).

I have a Vestige GEM razor and previously a Wolfman GEM that I enjoy the results, but that first pass is always somewhat tuggy for me. I assume it is due to the blade not being as sharp as others. The next two passes no problem.
I have not heard of a vestige razor before. I just saw a picture of it. I just saw a picture of the also. Both look very nice. How to they shave.

I think everyone who use GEM blades agree with you about the first shave. I guess I am use to it. I kind of look forward to it. I am more cautious when using a new blade.

Honestly, Gem razors and the blades look scary and way different to anything around today.

I bought one just to put on my shelf to look cool, and I never intended on using it. Seriously! But one day after a few vids and forum threads saying how great they are, I finally gave it shot and afterwards I thought, wow, great shave!

So now I have 3 of them and use them in my rotation. They are super cheap and most have held up extremely well. You can find a minty, unblemished Gem for about 20 bucks!

I think if you can past the "scary" looks of the contraption, you'll find they shave very well and you'll enjoy the shave and the cool vibe they throw off.
Looks can be deceiving. I thought the same at first. Now that’s all I use. Which three do you have? Vintage ones have held up over times. I understand modern ones do also.

I wonder about that from time to time.

I think for awhile I just wasn't as interested in the Gem-style SE razors I was finding around me in antique stores and whatnot. I had enough DEs to resist purchasing, so it was sort of a matter of prioritizing. It's not so much that I wasn't interested, more that there were other razors I was more interested in.

Some of it is blade availability too, although maybe not much of it.

I guess also I figure if I'm going to get a disposable blade, might as well have one with two edges rather than just one. I think this has been on my mind subconsciously although I don't know that I put a lot of thought into it. Gem-style SE blades I guess subconsciously always seemed kind of like doing less with more material, sort of inefficient or something?

AC-style SE razors have become more interesting to me I think as well. Some of the razors are really appealing to me aesthetically and they're often lighter weight than DE razors, which I'd like, and the dimensions of AC-style blades seem to offer something different. I still haven't purchased one because I have enough razors and I'm less convinced of the cost of AC-style blades being worth it, especially given that there are fewer out there to choose from than DE blades. But my guess is if I was going to try an SE razor, I'd try AC over Gem-style, at least at first.

A lot of it I think just comes down to me having finite income and space and priorities that result. It's not so much that I don't find them interesting or something, it's more so that for me personally there's a list of other things I'd probably want to try first.
You are correct. In the U. S. It can be challenging to find GEM blades. A 100 pack lasts me about a year or a little longer. I get 3-4 uses from a blade. That is about 5 blades monthly. I am a daily shaver. Prices vary a lot. I understand the the newer blades will no longer have the word GEM on them. I read that in a thread. Unsure if this accurate or not. Does anyone know?

I have not heard of a vestige razor before. I just saw a picture of it. I just saw a picture of the also. Both look very nice. How to they shave.

I think everyone who use GEM blades agree with you about the first shave. I guess I am use to it. I kind of look forward to it. I am more cautious when using a new blade.
I like the end result of the shave. The Vesitige is unique and is very maneuverable. I’m currently amazed by the Shick Type E. Each good shave I have the Type E makes me wonder if I want to keep the GEM in the rotation. For variety’s sake I suspect I will keep at least one around.

Looks can be deceiving. I thought the same at first. Now that’s all I use. Which three do you have? Vintage ones have held up over times. I understand modern ones do also.
I have a G Bar, a lightweight and a 1912. I keep the G Bar and 1912 at my house and the lightweight is at my summer bungalow. It's nice to have 2 places, I can buy more stuff!😂

The 1912 and G Bar in picture. I don't find much difference in the shaves, both are pretty non-aggressive IMHO.

IMG20240508131133.jpg

That's right but it's purely a branding issue. Blades are unchanged.

I love GEM blades and razors but can understand if people have been disappointed in the shave of a vintage GEM. As much as I enjoy Micromatics, Featherweights, Natural Angles etc the modern GEM delivers a smoother shave. The Wolfman WR3 is a near perfect razor for me.

I'm always amazed just how efficient my .25 open comb is. I used it on 3 days of growth today. Such a comfortable ATG pass.

I've picked up an Ever-Ready/Gem to try out, but when I looked for blades, the coated stainless blades are next to impossible to source here, and if I do find them only in 100 packs and from places that might need a minimum order size or are just otherwise too expensive for what I want to pay, otherwise I'm just stuck with the 5 packs of carbon steel blades which I came across at a chemist which might not be ideal (haven't even tried them yet).

I started a thread about a YouTuber that uses DE blades in a Gem razor. The link is below.

I already cut the blade and it does indeed fit and it shows the same blade exposure as a SE Gem blade. It's so weird that it fits like it was made for this razor. I wonder if Gem planned it that way? I'm going to shave with it tonight. I'll post the results...if I survive!😳🤞

For those of you who prefers GEMs over other razors, what type of facial hair do you have? Mine is more brillo pad wiry. That could be a reason it’s a little more tuggy on the first pass.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I bought my blades from Connaught within the last year and they are still branded GEM. I enjoy my Ever Ready SE very much as it adds variety, but I have no desire to own another. I own a single Schick Injector and a single Feather AC for the same reason, to add variety to my razor collection, the majority of which are DE razors. I would like to have a greater variety of GEM style blades.

20240508_193310~2.jpg

Top Bottom