What's new

Non-vintage PAL Blue Carbon Steel blade experience

I received several non-vintage PAL Blue Carbon Steel blades as part of a razor purchase and I am struggling to get the first blade to smooth out.
I am told the blades came from TryABlade.com.

I have four shaves on the blade and have corked it four times (during the last shave) trying to get something other than a rough shave.
If I were using a Personna GEM PTFE-coated Stainless Steel, I would have been into smooth shaves by shave number three.
I shave every other day.

I started off assuming the first shave or two with on of these PAL blades would be rough so I started with milder GEM razors for the first shave: GEM Feather Weight Deluxe, Blackland Sabre (L2 plate), Micromatic Flying Wing/Bullet Tip and GEM Heavy Flat-Top. I rotated through all those razors in the first shave trying to find a combination that was not as rough. None worked particularly well. They also tended to bog down in the denser areas of my face like the chin and mustache areas.

Second shave, I went with more efficient razors since the first shave would get bogged down in the denser areas making the rough shave worse. So this time I tried: Ever-Ready 1924 "Shovel Head", EverReady Streamline (no case) and Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC). The MMOC did not get bogged down in the chin area but the shaves were not smooth. But I didn't expect smooth on the second shave either. I palm stropped the blade twice before the shave.

Third shave, I was expecting a smoother shave, but it didn't happen. I tried: Blackland Sabre (L1 plate) and a GEM 1912 Squat Head. I flipped the blade between razors to get equal exposure for both sides. The L1 plate made the shave better but it still would bog down in the dense areas. The 1912 was still rough. I arm stropped the blade six times to dry the blade.

Fourth shave today, I tried Blackland Sabre (both L1 and L2 plates) and GEM Heavy Flat-Top. It was still a rough shave! I even corked the blade four times mid shave just to see if anything would help. Nothing helped.

I am thinking that either I have a bad blade or these blades are not for me.

Is there something special I need to do with these blades to smooth them out? Is there a particular razor I should use with these blades? How many shaves do I have to do before these PAL blades smooth out?

Thanks for your insights!

Good thought.

When I bought a pair of used razors it came with 15 blades. The cardboard sleeves were stamped with either 'carbon steel', 'stainless steel, 'PTFE', or 'blue carbon'. The blade in question was marked 'blue carbon'. The person I bought them from said they probably picked them up from TryABlade.com.

I have read reviews of modern PAL blue carbon blades saying the blades can be dull and tuggy by comparison to coated blades. I think maybe I will set this blade aside and try some of the other non-blue blades that came with this set and see if they are any better. If not, these blades will be used with box cutters.

Good thought.

When I bought a pair of used razors it came with 15 blades. The cardboard sleeves were stamped with either 'carbon steel', 'stainless steel, 'PTFE', or 'blue carbon'. The blade in question was marked 'blue carbon'. The person I bought them from said they probably picked them up from TryABlade.com.

I have read reviews of modern PAL blue carbon blades saying the blades can be dull and tuggy by comparison to coated blades. I think maybe I will set this blade aside and try some of the other non-blue blades that came with this set and see if they are any better. If not, these blades will be used with box cutters.
I got suckered into buying these . Advertised for "shaving " but these are industrial blades, useless for shaving .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-17 095021.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 095021.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 10
I got suckered into buying these . Advertised for "shaving " but these are industrial blades, useless for shaving .
I am so sorry you wasted your money on those blades!

I had been looking for the equivalent 3-faceted PAL blades and looked at these but was not for certain that they were for shaving:

I would probably stick with these instead if I tried the PAL blades for shaving:

I am so sorry you wasted your money on those blades!

I had been looking for the equivalent 3-faceted PAL blades and looked at these but was not for certain that they were for shaving:

I would probably stick with these instead if I tried the PAL blades for shaving:
Ted Pella is a trusted vendor . I do miss the old TREET single edge blades , they were fantastic !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-17 102242.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 102242.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 8
Ted Pella is a trusted vendor . I do miss the old TREET single edge blades , they were fantastic !
Ted Pella's site has a huge variety of blades (once you figure out the navigation) and not all of them are for shaving.
I have only used their injector blades.

I would enjoy trying Treet blades if I could ever find them in stock.

I ordered my PAL blades here:

They are no comparison to the GEM PTFE but are acceptable especially if you want the true experience of how your vintage razor feels with a Carbon Steel blade. These are marked PAL and are blue coated. I have not had problems with rust.

I went back to a fresh Personna GEM PTFE-coated stainless steel blade today. I ran the blade once through a cork and used my Blackland Sabre with L1 plate and had comfortable shave. The blade did not get bogged down in the dense areas of my stubble. Much better on the first shave than the four shaves out of the PAL blade I was using. I think I will be tossing the PAL blade. I will work through the other types GEM blades I have before trying those PAL blades again.

I have used the PAL Blue Carbon with decent results. The edges seem to last longer than Gem Blue Stars, but no where near as long as Gem PTFE or Gem Stainless.

Mine came with a razor purchase, but were from TryABlade, identified by a tag in the plastic bag.

The only blades I cork are the PTFEs.

I have used the PAL Blue Carbon with decent results. The edges seem to last longer than Gem Blue Stars, but no where near as long as Gem PTFE or Gem Stainless.

Mine came with a razor purchase, but were from TryABlade, identified by a tag in the plastic bag.

The only blades I cork are the PTFEs.
Since your TryABlade blades had a tag to identify them and the ones I have had a black rubber stamp on the cardboard blade cover, I really wonder if these blades did come from TryABlade and if the PAL blades I have were really made for shaving or not. I will be curious how the PTFE blades I received compare with the Personna PTFE that I bought myself.

Thanks for the tip on only corking the PTFE blades. Are the other blades not harsh on the first shave?

Thank you for the longevity tips on the other blades. I have packs of Gem Blue Stars and Gem Stainless that I bought but have not tried.

Also thanks for your words of shaving wisdom that I found all around BnB over the years!

I have more of the TryABlade PAL Blue Carbon and Gem Carbon Steel left than I remembered.
IMG_4998.jpeg

I suspect that these blades have (or had) some sort of niche market that probably isn't ordinary shaving or isn't in the USA. They both work for me, but I seem to have a tough hide. They aren't paint scrapers.

The Blue Stars and their store labeled versions (I have some unopened 'Daylogic') were still found in drugstore shaving racks last time I checked. They all have the same markings, some code starting '009' if I remember correctly.

My theory of corking is that I'm smoothing the PTFE coating. I wrist or palm strop all my Gem-style blades before I first use them to mellow the edge.

I enjoyed trying all the carbon variants, but the PTFEs remain my standard.

I have more of the TryABlade PAL Blue Carbon and Gem Carbon Steel left than I remembered.
View attachment 1799236
I suspect that these blades have (or had) some sort of niche market that probably isn't ordinary shaving or isn't in the USA. They both work for me, but I seem to have a tough hide. They aren't paint scrapers.

The Blue Stars and their store labeled versions (I have some unopened 'Daylogic') were still found in drugstore shaving racks last time I checked. They all have the same markings, some code starting '009' if I remember correctly.

My theory of corking is that I'm smoothing the PTFE coating. I wrist or palm strop all my Gem-style blades before I first use them to mellow the edge.

I enjoyed trying all the carbon variants, but the PTFEs remain my standard.
My blades had the same stamps as yours so I guess my blades are from TryABlade after all.

Thanks for the details on the Blue Stars, your theory on corking and palm stropping.

Have you ever had a bad GEM style blade? I am just trying to decide if I will try another one of the PAL blue carbons from this stash.
I have read people have a bad DE blade on occasion and maybe a bad AC style blade as well. I just wonder if the PAL blade I am using was just a dud.

There are other uses for single edge blades that do not require the sharpness that shaving does. Also, it's been discovered that some three-hole double edge carbon steel blades are intended not for shaving but for hair shaping, again a super keen edge isn't required.

Top Bottom