What's new

Coming full circle back to Feather Pro in SE

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Fell for the Proline craze that spiked a few years ago. Brass General, SE1 and SE2, and Vector Ti, all using Prolines for a while now. Ordered 300 more Prolines after finishing off my last pack (Only worked through 2 dispensers prior as part of my rotation overall). Plugged in a Feather Pro from the dispenser that was gathering dust since around 2019.

The clouds opened. Not because of the sharpness, but for another reason. Prolines are definitely a bit more keen, and the milder the razor the better they're tamed. I've found I tend to gravitate toward the Brass General the most for this reason, it's a mild shaver compared to the other AC types. With the Feather Pro, though, I could just fly through the shave without thinking. First use, BBS, absolutely zero irritation. Blew my mind, I didn't even have to think and could just fly through the shave with the Brass General like never before. Decided to throw it in the Vector Ti for the next shave, as this is generally one where I feel the Proline a bit more. Same result, could absolutely fly through the shave with zero irritation.

This prompted me to pick up a Feather DX razor for a straight comparison, as I've been shaving with straights and honing them for a few years. I noticed in a side by side with both blades and a Portland razor with a Shoubudani edge during the same shave, the Feather feels notably closer to a real straight razor edge while the Proline has a more aggressive, manufacturer sharp edge. The Proline is like a DE edge on a thicker, harder piece of steel, while the Feather is a bit more subdued which makes it feel kinder to my skin like a regular straight razor does. This gives the "straight razor on a stick" vibe a truer meaning to me now.

So, I've come full circle and landed back on Feather Professional blades. I still love the Prolines, and will still continue to use them, but I ordered a 10 pack of Feather Pro dispensers for 200 total as well, and am now eyeing a Kamisori style Feather razor to add to the collection just for fun. I can confidently say, after the past couple of weeks of shaves, I could use the Feather Pro blades every single day and likely experience less irritation than from any other safety razor combination I've tried, and in any of my SE razors that use them.

If you've been using just Prolines as I was for a while, I highly recommend giving the Feather blades another go in your razors.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you for the recommendation! I have a Proline in my SE for next month’s shaving challenge, but will reach for the dispensers of Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super after that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I tried the Prolines at the beginning of my wet shaving journey. So many people here said they were their favorite blades so I bought 3 30 packs. I tried two of them and they were never smooth for me. I was using them in the milder Claymore Evolution so that might be a factor, I don't know. They fit the razor well.. so that wasn't it.

In any event, I sold them to a friend here for a good price. I pretty much use the Feather ProGuards or the Kai Protouch blades.... but later this year, I'm planning to revisit the Kai Milds and the Feather Professionals. When I was first starting, the guarded blades worked my better for me. It will be interesting to see how they are now, after 2 years of wet saving on the 18th of this month.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I tried the Prolines at the beginning of my wet shaving journey. So many people here said they were their favorite blades so I bought 3 30 packs. I tried two of them and they were never smooth for me. I was using them in the milder Claymore Evolution so that might be a factor, I don't know. They fit the razor well.. so that wasn't it.

In any event, I sold them to a friend here for a good price. I pretty much use the Feather ProGuards or the Kai Protouch blades.... but later this year, I'm planning to revisit the Kai Milds and the Feather Professionals. When I was first starting, the guarded blades worked my better for me. It will be interesting to see how they are now, after 2 years of wet saving on the 18th of this month.

The Proline is a very smooth and comfortable shave for me on one day, but not two consecutive days. My skin needs a break from it before the next shave. The Feathers Pro, on the other hand, I can use every single day.

Top Bottom