What's new

I Get a Safer! Smoother! More Comfortable Close! Shave: Is It the Razor or is it the Blade?

I purposely did not include, is it both?
Please do not say both. Compare both. Choose one or the other.

If you choose razor, is it because:
  1. vintage or modern, expensive or not, specific type, cartridge
  2. Heavy or lightweight
  3. Stainless steel, brass, gold, etc
  4. Length, type of grip on handle
  5. Style, size or style of head, including blade gap
  6. How close it shaves, comfort, ease of use
  7. Any other reasons you can think of
If you choose blade, is it because:
  1. brand or type: GEM, AC, Injector, etc
  2. Carbon or Stainless Steel
  3. Coated or uncoated
  4. Size, length, Thickness, flexibility
  5. Smoothness, comfort, quality
  6. How long it lasts, how many shaves you get

Before stating your reasons, first please include the current:
  1. name (s) of razor (s) you use
  2. name (s) of blade (s) you use
  3. How often do you shave?

*This thread is geared to SE users, but DE users can comment also. Have fun!

For me,

I am pleased with using one razor. My 1924 Shovel Head, with a back up when I want change, my 1912 GEM.

I am pleased with using two blades only.
A Blue Carbon Steel and a GEM SS PTFE.

I am not like many. Once I find and choose what I like, I stick to it without changing. If not broken, why fix it. I have little to no desire to try out and use a variety of razors or blades. For me, too many options or choices is unsettling. I like familiar. When I go to shave, I want to pick up a my razor, pop in a blade and begin shaving without having to think about, what am I going to use today. Let me think about it.

I do understand others way of thinking in regards to razors “the more, the married”. I understand the thinking in regards to blades “variety is the spice of life”. They make very good sense. I get it. Do you!

Please enjoy this thread!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

If you choose razor, is it because:
  1. vintage or modern, expensive or not, specific type, cartridge
  2. Heavy or lightweight
  3. Stainless steel, brass, gold, etc
  4. Length, type of grip on handle
  5. Style, size or style of head, including blade gap
  6. How close it shaves, comfort, ease of use
If you choose blade, is it because:
  1. brand or type: GEM, AC, Injector, etc
  2. Carbon or Stainless Steel
  3. Coated or uncoated
  4. Size, length, Thickness, flexibility
  5. Smoothness, comfort, quality
  6. How long it lasts, how many shaves you get

Before stating your reasons, first please include the current:
  1. name (s) of razor (s) you use
  2. name (s) of blade (s) you use
  3. How often do you shave?

*This thread is geared to SE users, but DE users can comment also. Have fun!

For me,

I am pleased with using one razor. My 1924 Shovel Head, with a back up when I want change, my 1912 GEM.

I am pleased with using two blades only.
A Blue Carbon Steel and a GEM SS PTFE.

I am not like many. Once I find and choose what I like, I stick to it without changing. If not broken, why fix it. I have little to no desire to try out and use a variety of razors or blades. For me, too many options or choices is unsettling. I like familiar. When I go to shave, I want to pick up a my razor, pop in a blade and begin shaving without having to think about, what am I going to use today. Let me think about it.

I do understand others way of thinking in regards to razors “the more, the married”. I understand the thinking in regards to blades “variety is the spice of life”. They make very good sense. I get it. Do you!

Please enjoy this thread!
I get a closer shave with my electric razor than I ever could with DEs. Heretic, I know...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve used too many razors in too little a timeframe. But I’m gravitating towards plastic razors that take GEM or DE blades. Until now, my Micromatic Open Comb with a stainless PTFE-coated GEM has been my razor when shaves get rough. Probably will be again, too.

I’ve used too many razors in too little a timeframe. But I’m gravitating towards plastic razors that take GEM or DE blades. Until now, my Micromatic Open Comb with a stainless PTFE-coated GEM has been my razor when shaves get rough. Probably will be again, too.
I’m not familiar with plastic razors that take those. Can you elaborate on that with some examples you love?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Two are Travel Raptor :001_wub: :001_wub: and Triceratops :001_wub: :001_wub: made by @SlimGem and they use GEM blades
IMG_0744.jpegIMG_0736.jpeg

The plastic DE razors el Fantasma and el Fantasma Naranja by Phoenix Artist Accoutrements
IMG_1301.jpegIMG_0681 2.jpeg

Two weeks ago I took a Schick Proline P that had four shaves on it with my SS Vector. I threw it into my YAQI Romulus and got nine more very comfortable BBS shaves before binning the blade. Now I'm using another Proline that had seven shaves on it with my Claymore Evo and put it into my Vector. This morning was shave #2 with the Vector. I'm noticing that my shave using the Vector isn't quite as smooth feeling as the Romulus with similar number of shaves on a blade even though I still get BBS shaves.

Neither. It’s technique. A great shave can be had with virtually any razor or blade. I make exceptions for the Weishi 9306 (doesn’t shave at all) and the Zorrik blades which are duller than a bowling ball.
Good point. Does make sense.

I would question, most do not shave with virtually any razor or blade? At the beginning, maybe?

Most shave with a razor and blade of choice? This is decided after a trial and error process? Most choose what they believe is best for them, what they can afford, that best meets their individual shaving needs, at a given time?

Over time, with better technique there will be the desire to want a better razor and a better blade?

Good technique comes only after lots of time and practice, trying to determine the right razor type and the right blade type.

When this happens, it is a wonderful thing. “Finally”!

Good technique brings out the qualities that make a razor and a blade of choice so wonderful.

Without good quality tools, can good technique become better?

Two weeks ago I took a Schick Proline P that had four shaves on it with my SS Vector. I threw it into my YAQI Romulus and got nine more very comfortable BBS shaves before binning the blade. Now I'm using another Proline that had seven shaves on it with my Claymore Evo and put it into my Vector. This morning was shave #2 with the Vector. I'm noticing that my shave using the Vector isn't quite as smooth feeling as the Romulus with similar number of shaves on a blade even though I still get BBS shaves.
Sounds like you are trying to figure out what is causing your BBS shaves?

Seems as if you enjoy both of your razors and the blade you use.

I looked up both razors and the blade to become familiar. All are high quality within that razor system.

So, in your opinion, when it comes down to it, what is the main contributing factor that is causing your continued BBS shaves? Razors or the blade?

To me sounds like what tips it slightly over the edge for you is, the blade?

Is that correct? Remember, try not to say both. Choose one or the other.

Nice post.

Sounds like you are trying to figure out what is causing your BBS shaves?

Seems as if you enjoy both of your razors and the blade you use.

I looked up both razors and the blade to become familiar. All are high quality within that razor system.

So, in your opinion, when it comes down to it, what is the main contributing factor that is causing your continued BBS shaves? Razors or the blade?

To me sounds like what tips it slightly over the edge for you is, the blade?

Is that correct? Remember, try not to say both. Choose one or the other.

Nice post.
This time I'm going to have to go with .... the razor.

The thing is, there's one more element that I believe contributes to a BBS shave. The soap.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hmmmm -- I'm going to go with.....the blade....sort of....mostly....and here's my rationale:
I've got somewhere around 100 different razors which span various blade types: SR, Sexto/Barber, SE (Wedge, Schick, GEM, Custom [modified Schicks and GEMs]) and DE. My worst shaves have been dull/inappropriate (think carpet cutter) blades. I've had some "less than perfect" shaves with various blades and razors, but ultimately adjustments in technique can correct/overcome the "difficulties" for razor differences -- but no amount of technique can overcome a "bad" blade. So ultimately, I attribute truly "bad" shaves that cannot be "corrected" to "bad blades"; but "good" shaves are those blades AND razors (when combined with my technique) give a nice shave.

So as far as specifics -- I like Schick razors -- regardless of the razor (I have types "A" through "O"). I can get a good to great shave without much effort (or even concentration). BUT, I prefer Chinese Schick (yellow package) modern blades. I also like my Japanese Prolines and twin blades, but they are harder to come by. I do NOT care for the Personna blades, and thus avoid them.

I really like GEM razors -- from the earliest Lather Catchers to a modern manufactured/3d-printed razor. But my strong preference is the coated SS GEM blades -- I have not loved the carbon blades.

Same with vintage Weck Sexto blade / modern "Hair Shaper" razors, as well as AC and DE razors. I've got some "blade-brand" preferences, but the blade holder (aka razor) doesn't typically influence me. Probably while I've got so many razors....I like the design, history, craftsmanship, etc -- and I even enjoy the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences in technique that each razor may require.

As always, "to each their own" and happy shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well if I have to pick one it would be blade because with good technique you can use manipulate the razor if it is aggressive or mild would be my choice of the two choices of blade or razor. Technique is still king of performance and end results . Readers Digest version!

Well if I have to pick one it would be blade because with good technique you can use manipulate the razor if it is aggressive or mild would be my choice of the two choices of blade or razor. Technique is still king of performance and end results . Readers Digest version!
Ron

I would agree with you.

The blade will bring out the qualities of the razor you enjoy the most. Technique is king. With better and better technique comes better uses of the blade. Better overall shaving experience.

Well I think it is Technique vis key followed by Tools (Razor n Blade). Razors sort of are blade holder with different gaps, and angles.

Blade do the cutting, and need a Tool to hold Blade, some brands of Blades have consistency from Blade to Blade, the El Cheap Blade I have found to be LESS CONSISTANT.

Well I think it is Technique vis key followed by Tools (Razor n Blade). Razors sort of are blade holder with different gaps, and angles.

Blade do the cutting, and need a Tool to hold Blade, some brands of Blades have consistency from Blade to Blade, the El Cheap Blade I have found to be LESS CONSISTANT.
That makes a lot of sense to me.

Well I am not a Shaving Nurd, when somethingI am think on has question, I look for good source off answer, or trying reasoning out. My mind still works.

The one thing is every DE Razor brand, or sub brand is slightly different. vGillette &0Clock come Green, Black, and Yellow Box, each one is slightly different.

Those with problem beards that are heave, dense, thick, grow in swirl patters, and what some call tough, are better judge IMHO. Th4n lucky folk with light, and fine beards.

I would attribute things to technique, blade, and razor. It's very difficult to say that one variable is what makes or breaks a shave. It's the sum of the parts.

Top Bottom