What's new

Which classic scent is due for a "comeback"

In my opinion and experience I think that British Sterling may have been a great scent back in its heyday, and barring any of my scent memories of it (which scream at me "grandpa didn't smell like THIS!" about an hour after the juice hits my skin), it could still be perfectly wearable for somebody who wears Velcro shoes and food stained cardigans.

I think British Sterling would have to pull a Buick and do a full 180 to tread water back from the old-folks home of dude scents.

Well, I like it, use it, and hope that more people give it a try. Also, my cardigans aren't food stained. :laugh: Oh, and get off my lawn while you are at it. :biggrin1:

$aramis.jpg

I'm one that also favors English Leather for a comeback. It's one of my favorites, especially in fall and winter.

I'm definitely a fan of English Leather, just not whatever formula they used between about 2005 and the most recent formulation (which is definitely a step in the right direction toward the scent I remember bathing in and loving back in high school, although others may not have appreciated it as much as I did).

I got a .5 oz "holiday gift pack" size last x-mas that has a paper label on it and didn't seem to have the cheapened "floral-y old lady powder" drydown accord that the 2012 version I purchased had did. It's like somebody blended a little Tabu into that formulation....

Anyway it's a very simple, linear, manly, fragrance that has gotten a bad rap as being an "old man scent"; I think due to some poor formulations, a la mid 2000s nursing home editions, and the addition of an absolutely ****-poor flanker (English Leather Black��).

I splurge on vintage classics, including Brut, English Leather, British Sterling, Aqua Velva and Old Spice. My 81 year-old dad wore them all. Although I also have modern versions of most of them, I refuse to buy modern English Leather. The vintage smells like my dad. The modern does not.

Although I also have modern versions of most of them, I refuse to buy modern English Leather. The vintage smells like my dad. The modern does not.

I know it can seem like a futile process, but have you tried the newest version (the ones with the paper labels and/or the shield instead of the saddle)? It smells like it used to smell to me about 20 years ago and the floral-y/musk-y basenote that was overly present over the last 15 years has disappeared, at least to my nose and chemistry. Pick up a .5 oz bottle when the holiday crap comes out at your local box-store. It's worth a shot anyway.

Skin Bracer.... and all of it's incarnations!

Dry Lime, Cooling Blue, Wild Moss, Burnished Leather, Cool Spice, Wintry Spice, etc.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow, I was gonna say Hai Karate, but I would just be joining a chorus! So I will say ORIGINAL Old Spice, exactly as made and PACKAGED by Shulton. I don't use it anymore, because I am a Clubman guy these days, and I just gave away a couple of opened bottles of Shulton, but not before one last whiff and a good splash. The new just doesn't get that clean powdery scent, and plastic bottles just suck. Funny, but plastic doesn't seem to degrade Clubman.

As much as everyone would like it, myself included, I don't think that Old Spice the brand or P&G are going to resurrect the "original/Shulton" version of a product they've been overtly running into the dustbin for the last couple decades.

I think the only reason they keep it around is because people are still buying it occasionally.

Skin Bracer.... and all of it's incarnations!

Dry Lime, Cooling Blue, Wild Moss, Burnished Leather, Cool Spice, Wintry Spice, etc.

+1

I agree. I would love to see Mennen produce some of old scent alternatives! Add a new marketing campaign and with any luck it goes the way of Old Spice and their new ads.

imcndn

Last edited:
+1

I agree. I would love to see Mennen produce some of old scent alternatives! Add a new marketing campaign and with any luck it goes the way of Old Spice and their new ads.

imcndn

+1

I don't think I've tried a Skin Bracer I didn't like, but try convincing Colgate-Palmolive of that. They seem to have been systematically dismantling the Mennen brand ever since they bought it.

Drakkar Noir.

Another very old classic which COULD make a comeback but I doubt the company has the marketing horsepower to make it happen...but the product is GREAT...is Gabels original.

Top Bottom