What's new

Which classic scent is due for a "comeback"

In your opinion which classic scent is due for a comeback? Not just a surge of hipsters and poseurs bathing in some obscure vintage niche/designer scent; something that conjures memories that you'd like to see reinvigorated and no longer relegated to a distant memory of what it was sitting lonely and dusty on the bottom shelf of a drug store/chemist.

Although I can think of several, I'd love to see Brut do what Old Spice has done and give them a run for their money. That being said I think Brut taught Old Spice/P&G a lot about what not to do to a brand back in the '90s.

My runner up goes to English Leather. The occasional and limited release of a flanker (English Leather Black anyone?), which I don't think has occurred in at least a decade isn't helping. Being content with the bottom shelf at stores that are going out of business (K-Mart and Sears) isn't doing them any favors either.

Honorable mention goes to British Sterling. They recently released a couple flankers (HIM), but I haven't heard anyone saying anything about them since about 2014. It smells a bit like grandma on me, but my grandpa always had a flask of it on his dresser.

What do You's think?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I just watched The Incredibles with my kids this weekend, so I'm voting for Hai Karate.

$PDVD_263.jpg

"Honey, where is my super suit?!"

I have worn Brut most of my life as used to get a boxed set of deodorant and talc every Christmas off my aunt, that has carried forward and I often use the splash and edt after a shave. However I can't wear old spice as my better half says I smell like her dad which puts a dampner on things.
One I would like to see comeback was a brand called Hero, it was around mid- early 90's and was a favourite back then!

I've never smelled or even encountered Hai Karate in my lifetime, being a child of the '80s...

That being said, didn't Axe kind of tap into the "void" left by Hai Karate's absence?

Man that's a tough one, I'd have to go English Leather as well, though original Old Spice is coming in a close 2nd.

I loved the stuff English Leather was doing in the 80's musk was also a big favorite of mine, but the original is also pretty classic and not garish like the modern after shaves that make me feel like I need to be going to a party or nightclub.

Some of my fondest memories as a child was seeing all those after shave/cologne commercials during XMAS season as well as seeing all those gift sets at the local drug store.

My vote would be for anything from back in the late 60s through the 70s that was popular then. Be it Hai Karate, English Leather, Brut or Old Spice original. I've never tried Hai Karate and English Leather.

I am not a fan of English Leather, at least the modern version of it.

I would like to see British Sterling get more popular.

I am not a fan of English Leather, at least the modern version of it.

I would like to see British Sterling get more popular.

In my opinion and experience I think that British Sterling may have been a great scent back in its heyday, and barring any of my scent memories of it (which scream at me "grandpa didn't smell like THIS!" about an hour after the juice hits my skin), it could still be perfectly wearable for somebody who wears Velcro shoes and food stained cardigans.

I think British Sterling would have to pull a Buick and do a full 180 to tread water back from the old-folks home of dude scents.

Top Bottom