What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sunday dinner.

Beef pot roast. A hassleback potato for me and a hassleback sweet potato for my wife. Broccoli for both of us. It was a bit tricky timing wise as the sweet potato was done before the potato. I had to nuke mine covered with wrap and then broil a bit to catch up. A bit of cream cheese and chives on both. (I love horseradish!)

$Pot roast and Hasselback spud 001.JPG

Ever try the Atomic brand horseradish?

It's my personal favorite. They process it with a little parsnip, really brings out the heat.

Pot Roast (used boneless chuck arm roast cut) with chive and horseradish mashed yukon golds.

$2012-01-31220236.jpg

Roasted for a little over 3 hours at 325 in an oval Staub with mirapoix, garlic, red wine and veal stock.

I add whole cloves of garlic to the potatoes at the start, drain, butter, mash, then add the horseradish and let set for a while till I add the cream.

The whole cloves cook perfectly with the potatoes.

Peri-peri chicken.

Yesterday I made the marinade: I took 6 large red chillis, de-seeded 3 and left the seeds in the other 3 as Mrs R doesn't like it too hot, but adjust to your taste. Chopped and into a saucepan. 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped. 100ml EVOO (doesn't have to be great quality, just average is fine), 50ml red wine vinegar. 1 tspn salt. A large tspn paprika and another of dried oregano. A large pinch of sugar to take the sharpness off.

Bring to a low boil and simmer for about 5 mins. Allow to cool and blitz to a marinade paste. Check the sharpness / saltiness factor and adjust if necessary - it needs a bit of a tang, but not overwhelmingly so. Allow to cool completely and put your chicken bits in. I first tried this with boneless breasts but quickly found whole leg joints work best with bone bringing out the flavour.

Marinade overnight.

Bring out of the fridge and sit to bring them up to room temperature before placing in a pre-heated oven 200C for 45 - 60 mins, depends on how big your bits are. In a manner of speaking. You can flash under a hot grill to crisp the skin up if not already.

They can be served hot with mashed spuds, or cold with a salad. Or just about anything.

Nothing picture worthy.

I braised some Chicken saddles in leeks, garlic, white wine and stock. Made a cream sauce and served them with some potato pancakes made with the leftover mashed yukons from the pot roast.

I also had a couple of leftover Meyer Lemons from the lemon tart, and I made a batch of Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta with them.

I made some braised pork loin in a red wine sauce. With some sauteed Brussel sprouts with ginger, garlic and a bit of soy sauce.
Sorry no pictures as I do not own quality camera

I made some braised pork loin in a red wine sauce. With some sauteed Brussel sprouts with ginger, garlic and a bit of soy sauce.
Sorry no pictures as I do not own quality camera

Sounds delish! A crappy picture is great also!

A couple of days late, but this was my Super Bowl steak: pound and a half dry aged, bone-in ribeye with a side of sauteed onions finished off with Manzanilla Sherry.

$DSCN0725.jpg$DSCN0727.jpg
$DSCN0730.jpg$DSCN0729.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom