What's new

Whats Cooking? 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I did end up doing the stuffed veal breast that day. Here's a photo of the finished product along with a few thoughts.

$2012-01-07202834.jpg

I did a classic mushroom duxelle with criminis, shallots and sherry, which was a great stuffing.

I slow roasted it in a large Staub French oven: a 2 1/4 pound breast for two and a half hours at 275. I was a little worried at letting it cook up as far as Jim recommended (195) I took it out around 185 to 190 and let it sit for 10 minutes. The meat was still very moist and tender and even had a nice pink tone to the flesh. After about 45 minutes, I put in some room temp white wine and veal stock. Not enough to braise but just enough to get a nice steam roasting going in the Staub.

What I did wrong, I smeared the outside with a compound butter of coarse grain Dijon. I'd do the dijon again but would just use regular mustard. The butter was too much. The meat was noticeably greasy, as was the jus reduction that I did with the liquid in the pan.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Try a bit of ground clove in your deep dish pizza sauce. Just something from where my parents bought pizza when I was a kid.

So, I did end up doing the stuffed veal breast that day. Here's a photo of the finished product along with a few thoughts.

View attachment 213002

I did a classic mushroom duxelle with criminis, shallots and sherry, which was a great stuffing.

I slow roasted it in a large Staub French oven: a 2 1/4 pound breast for two and a half hours at 275. I was a little worried at letting it cook up as far as Jim recommended (195) I took it out around 185 to 190 and let it sit for 10 minutes. The meat was still very moist and tender and even had a nice pink tone to the flesh. After about 45 minutes, I put in some room temp white wine and veal stock. Not enough to braise but just enough to get a nice steam roasting going in the Staub.

What I did wrong, I smeared the outside with a compound butter of coarse grain Dijon. I'd do the dijon again but would just use regular mustard. The butter was too much. The meat was noticeably greasy, as was the jus reduction that I did with the liquid in the pan.

Nice job! Was it tender and easy to slice up? I can see where adding butter would bring it over the top. Looks really nice.

Just some ham 'n beans out of the slow cooker, along with some corn bread made in a 7 inch cast iron skillet. Some may think of that as white trash food, but it doesn't have to be fancy to be good.

Try a bit of ground clove in your deep dish pizza sauce. Just something from where my parents bought pizza when I was a kid.

Very tender. The meat still had a nice, faint pink tone to it, which surprised me since I took it almost up to 190 internal temp and then a minute under the broiler. I think the only thing that I'll do differently in the future is lose the compound butter and just lightly brush the exterior with a 50-50 mix of regular and coarse grain dijon.

I braised a couple of beef shank slices last night- ghetto Osso Bucco... haha.. really tasty but not photo worthy as I let them go so long they fell apart.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A little bit back to basics for this night's dinner. The cauliflower and broccoli looked so fresh in the grocery store so home it came for a quick rinse and nuke. A basic fried steak followed by some crimini mushrooms and a pat of butter.

Attachments

• $simple supper 001.JPG
    $simple supper 001.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 247
  • $simple supper 002.JPG
    $simple supper 002.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 244
Made some crockpot lasagna from a recipe SWMBO found on pinterest. Called for 1 lb. italian sausage, did 1/2 sausage an 1/2 ground beef. Next time, total IS. And needed to throw in some garlic when seasoning the meat.

Broke in the two new tart pans tonight.

A savory Alsatian onion and smoked bacon tart based on a recipe from the classic old NYC restaurant Lutece

$DSCN0716.jpg

Meyer Lemon tart topped with fresh blackberries and blueberries for dessert.

$DSCN0714.jpg

I made some lamb chops the other day ... along with frozen Teriyahki veggies.

I dowsed 'em in EVOO and sprinkled on Kosher Salt and ground pepper.
They marinated like this for about a day and a half.

Cooked up the veggies in a cast iron skillet according to the directions,
then set them aside in a Pyrex bowl while I prepped the chops.

I cut some slices of potatoes for the chops to sit on while they cooked.
I didn't want them sitting directly on the skillet so they would cook evenly.

Let 'em go for about 20 minutes at Medium Heat,
and covered them with sprigs of Cilantro for the last 5 minutes.

I had one tonight for dinner,
and even 5 days later, they're still moist and tasty.

I offered 'em around to the other people I live with,
but didn't get any takers.
They don't know what they're missing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Broke in the two new tart pans tonight.

A savory Alsatian onion and smoked bacon tart based on a recipe from the classic old NYC restaurant Lutece

I think Andre Soltner usually didn't have that specialty on the menu, but would always prepare it if asked. Your version looks great.

Crust recipe for the onion tart called for a stick of butter and a quarter cup of veg shortening. I subbed goose lard for the latter with great results.

No pictures of mine but, I made some Shrimp Etouffee tonight. Not as good as the stuff I got when I lived in NOLA, but it was pretty tasty.

It wasn't as thick as I would have liked either. I'll have to check out some other recipes. Anyone got one?

I want to make some Yellow Curry with some OG white 26/30's I got for $8 a pound. I've got a can of coconut milk and was going to make a little shrimp stock from the peelings. Any suggestions?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sounds like a great use of a good deal on shrimp. I'm not sure how much detail you want?

Here is what I do:

For speed I prefer using curry past that comes from a jar. Mostly for any curry I make I start with a diced onion saute in a bit of oil, add some garlic, ginger, when the onions are translucent. Add some veggies . . . sliced peppers are nice, cauliflower, carrots, potato, are fair game.

Basically once the onions are done . . . add in the coconut milk and curry paste (I use a heaping soup spoon), add the veggies and boil in the mix till tender enough. Add carrots and potato first as they take a bit of time. Peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower cook pretty quickly so you might add them at the end with the shrimp for about five more minutes at the end.

You might need to add a bit of water if things get too clumpy.

I like to serve on a bed of rice.

For chicken or beef I pan fry the meat first and add back at the end with the quick cooking veg.

I got impatient and put one together about an hour ago:
I made some shrimp stock out of the shells with white onions, carrots, leeks and celery. Flamed the shells with some brandy.

I sauteed the shrimp in peanut oil till rare, and set aside.

Sauteed some sweet onion and leeks with a little lemon zest. (no lemongrass handy)
added carrots and red bell peppers, then heaps of garlic and ginger.
hit it with some tomato paste and a pile of decent curry powder. (wish i'd had some good paste)
a little dry gewurztraminer, can of coconut milk, 2 cups of fresh pineapple i just cut up and the stock.
Handful of fresh shucked peanuts and some fish sauce.
Wish I had some cilantro. wish I'd thought of the potato.

Rice is cooking, I'll plop the shrimp in for a minute or two.

Grilled Salmon on cedar planks, wild rice, steamed asparagus, baked sweet potato and fresh bread. Later had a nice bowl of vanilla ice cream with fresh berries on top and a drizzle of amaretto on top. My girl can cook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom