What's new

What Tea/Tisane Are You Drinking?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Up to a point. I've been drinking through 11-12oz of Teavana Tung Ting ("4 Seasons") at work, and 16 ounces of Choice Organic Hojicha at home. I think 150g of each would have been fine.

Fair point. I was speaking to pricing on loose tea v. bagged tea. There's a big ol' difference, there.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My assistant broke open a new bing of 2008 Menghai 7542, so I got dressed up for the occasion.

Attachments

• $e661c850a3b5c664f01a87c613b086d1.jpg
    $e661c850a3b5c664f01a87c613b086d1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 34
2016 Namalighur Estate GFBOP Assam This is a relatively inexpensive Assam but it seems to augur well for this year's crop. It isn't terribly complex but it has decent weight and balance.

Today's PM tea. The Assam above was my AM tea. Fujian in the style of Wu Yi Oolong. Wu Yi Moutain Oolong tends to be toward the highly oxidized end of the oolong spectrum. This particular example while alright has some faults. First, I've probably been storing it too long and, secondly, this isn't a true Wu Yi and is less complex. This tea wasn't misrepresented when I bought it but IME mislabeled or misrepresented teas from the PRC are far more common than is the case with Japanese or Indian teas.

Hi,

I discovered a cheap Chinese loose leaf Jasmine green tea at a small local market. An amazingly unexpected find here in the hinterlands, (Lipton green tea bags are about it).

While not the highest quality tea, the Jasmine scent and sweetness makes this a good everyday tea that I can enjoy without financial guilt. The tea's body is heavier and darker than my really good green Jasmine Dragon Pearls, but it didn't cost anywhere near half as much either. The only marking on the round tin can is a flock of cranes and small stars on an emerald green background.

As a new serious tea drinker, can you guys recommend some good Ceylon/Sri Lanka teas to try? Been through the most of the other black teas so far. But I haven't had a really good Ceylon tea yet. Amazon available is really good for me because I will need to order it in.

Thanks!
Bluewing

Hi,

I discovered a cheap Chinese loose leaf Jasmine green tea at a small local market. An amazingly unexpected find here in the hinterlands, (Lipton green tea bags are about it).

While not the highest quality tea, the Jasmine scent and sweetness makes this a good everyday tea that I can enjoy without financial guilt. The tea's body is heavier and darker than my really good green Jasmine Dragon Pearls, but it didn't cost anywhere near half as much either. The only marking on the round tin can is a flock of cranes and small stars on an emerald green background.

As a new serious tea drinker, can you guys recommend some good Ceylon/Sri Lanka teas to try? Been through the most of the other black teas so far. But I haven't had a really good Ceylon tea yet. Amazon available is really good for me because I will need to order it in.

Thanks!
Bluewing

There is a tea shop in Minneapolis that at least was (I haven't been there in years) quite good http://www.la-societe-du-the.com/
It looks like their shopping cart system is down right now but apparently they are taking phone orders.
There are also at least a couple Tea Source stores in Minneapolis-St Paul http://ttps://www.teasource.com Again, this is old information but the proprietor of La Societe du The' was much more knowledgeable than the Tea Source staff IME.
Finally, I can recommend Upton Tea in Massachusetts https://secure.uptontea.com/store/home.asp
I've never purchased tea from Amazon so I can't help you there.
The Sri Lankan teas I primarily drink are black teas from southern Sri Lanka: Ratna Pura, the Low Country and Ruhuna. I'm not all that familiar with teas from central Sri Lanka or Sri Lankan green teas. So I can't be much help in specific tea estate recommendations

Hi,

Thanks! I live well outside the Cities. It's a couple hours drive one way. But I do get down there on occasion, so I will look them up when I do.

Dalee

Top Bottom