What's new

The chemist who told us to put salt in our tea explains why she did it :-O

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
A pinch of salt in tea? Rubbish!

A U.S. scientist's tea recipe has Brits aghast. Salt? Warm milk? The horror! :a47:

Story by Michelle Francl - New Scientist - 25 Jan 24

"Chemistry is a field like few others, placing a huge emphasis on the importance of reactions in the pursuit of a scientifically sound outcome. However, even after working in this discipline for nearly four decades, nothing could have prepared me for the reaction
this week.

Before publication, I thought that my new book, Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea, might attract some public attention – after all, billions of people around the world love a cuppa, including those from the US, like me. But I hadn't anticipated brewing up a firestorm that would rage across the Atlantic Ocean – all because of a few grains of salt. :incazzato

While it might seem outlandish, the idea of adding a pinch of salt to tea in order to reduce the bitterness is rooted in science. Sodium ion is a key element of salt, and it interacts with the chemical mechanism that produces the perception of a bitter taste.

The British people’s love of tea warms my heart like the contents of my favorite mug. That’s a truly special relationship and one steeped in so much history.

proxy.php

Needless to say, I didn’t intend to start possibly the biggest beverage bust-up since my compatriots went overboard in Boston 250 years ago – though I have truly enjoyed some of the responses to this global storm in a teacup.

After all, it’s not often that a scientist inspires a viral tweet from the US Embassy in London and I definitely liked the tongue-in-cheek trolling, especially the closer about the microwave. :lol:

For the British ambassador to the United States to get involved too and for all the world’s media to seize upon a few notes from a 240-page book has blown me away. ;)

proxy.php

Aside from that, it has been very satisfying to see the responses from chemists and the public at large who have so far tried out my tips and enjoyed them. I’ve been a tea drinker all my life, so 'steeped' has been a passion project for me, a genuine

labour of love.
1706295048906.jpeg

I have spent three years reading more than 500 papers on tea and conducting my own research, testing hundreds of years’ worth of suggestions for making a better brew. My work has tried to uncover the answers to age-old questions, including whether tea is truly addictive; how sugar and spices affect the quality of a cuppa; and how much difference a teapot actually makes. There is so much that has surprised me along the way and I have learned so much during the entire process.

proxy.php
An amusing reflection for me is that, in the end, for certain people, it seems tradition will always trump science. I know that some, like the presenters on Good Morning Britain, might never accept a few of the tips – in their eyes, I am guilty of the most heinous of tea crimes: being from the US".

Read More: A Pinch of Salt in Your Cup of Tea

proxy.php
"Good [tea] should be black like the devil, hot like hell, and sweet like a kiss". Hungarian [Gospel of Tea] Proverb

Last edited:
The sodium in salt will add a little sweetness (without sugar), but my experience with "real English Tea" has nothing whatever to do with microwave ovens or tea bags, at least not to our family friends who grew up in London during the 1930s.

Proper tea is China Black, one heaping teaspoon per cup with "one extra for the pot", added to a teapot pre-heated with boiling water and then filled with fresh boiling water and allowed to steep for at least five minutes, maybe ten.

Definitely bracing, most Americans won't be able to drink it without milk, it's SUPPOSED to be bitter. I can still taste it, and that's pretty much how I prefer tea. Not that pale amber stuff you get by soaking a paper bag filled with floor sweepings (and early teabags were indeed filled with what sifted out of proper leaf tea) in a microwave.

Television ruined a lot of things, and tea is one of them -- it's not possible to make proper tea during commercial breaks, only a tea bag in microwaved water will get you a cup of something vaguely resembling tea in five minutes.

Real tea is rolled leaves (usually an inch or inch and a half long) -- red and black teas are fermented, green teas are not. In order to get any reasonable amount of extraction in a couple minutes from a tea bag, the tea has to be chopped, and that will allow greater extraction of the tannin, hence more bitterness.

Americans are addicted to salt, and tend to use huge amounts, to the point where nothing 'tastes right' without it. Bad habit, perpetuated by the commercial food industry and the "chef's kitchen" training where they toss it around by the pound. I can't eat a lot of restaurant food, it's far too salty. There is absolutely no reason to add it to tea!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Most commonly occurring bitterness is probably from oversteeping. 😏Learn to throw away perfectly good tea! Temp and time...

(yes, I'm going to try this salt trick). 😋

AA

I probably won't try it, although maybe for curiosity I might.

I don't think of bitterness and astringency as necessarily being the same thing though. I've known that salt can sort of nullify bitter taste reception but I don't think of tea as being bitter usually, more astringent. But maybe astringency is the same thing?

London water has some sodium in it, although not much chloride. You would have to know what the mineral content of you water is before attempting this "cheat" -- the local municipal water already has some sodium along with the calcium carbonate from limestone.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Americans are addicted to salt, and tend to use huge amounts, to the point where nothing 'tastes right' without it.

Salt intake in the U.S. has been on a steady decline over the past 10 years or so, and regular Iodized table salt has been usurped with non-iodized sea salt, pink salt and several other trendy substitutes.
Unfortunately, there has also been an increase in iodine defficiency in the U.S. which has led to an increase in cases of Hyperthyroidism (commonly called goiter).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am generally unhappy with the whole bitter sensation. It's why I avoid west coast IPAs. I have a lovely collection of loose teas, mainly from agagio.com, that are not bitter - but I'm going to try this trick as soon as I get my hands on some bitter tea.

I am generally unhappy with the whole bitter sensation. It's why I avoid west coast IPAs. I have a lovely collection of loose teas, mainly from agagio.com, that are not bitter - but I'm going to try this trick as soon as I get my hands on some bitter tea.
What are some of the specify blends you prefer from Adagio? How about decaf?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What are some of the specify blends you prefer from Adagio? How about decaf?

earl grey moonlight, vanilla, hazelnut​

Dedaf/herbal: blood orange
Green: gyokuro, jasmine yin hao
My favorite tea is Libra (I always have to use the "search" to find it) the first one. They sent me a tin of this tea for my birthday a few years back.
A balanced blend of black tea and sweet strawberries, chocolate and creme will appeal to Libra's sense of harmonious beauty. Libras have mastered the art of diplomacy, and enjoy bringing people together over a cup of tea. Rose petals and cocoa nibs are stylish details in a blend that will complete Libra's sophisticated tea collection.

These are some of my favorites, but I have tried a great many of their samplers and they are a great way to find out what you like.

Top Bottom