What's new

What Tea/Tisane Are You Drinking?

Found a tin of BOP, broken orange pekoe, Assam at the back of the cupboard. Must be a few years old at least. A nice change from my recent pu-erh binge.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
New kid here, lately my tea has been Ceylon Low Country South Co-op FBOPF Ex Sp but I tend to primarily drink Assams and Keemums.
Welcome!

That's some nice tea. I enjoy Ceylon tea very much. While I enjoy a good, malty Assam from time to time, I want it mostly in a blend. Otherwise, it reminds me too much of raw wort.

I admit that I'm only vaguely familiar with Keemun outside of blends. I've very much enjoyed what I've had, though, so I ought to fix that.

Welcome!

That's some nice tea. I enjoy Ceylon tea very much. While I enjoy a good, malty Assam from time to time, I want it mostly in a blend. Otherwise, it reminds me too much of raw wort.

I admit that I'm only vaguely familiar with Keemun outside of blends. I've very much enjoyed what I've had, though, so I ought to fix that.

Ceylons are sort of new to me. I thought I didn't really like them but it turns out I had no idea how much variety there is in Ceylon teas and the first couple I tasted just weren't to my taste. I'm still really a beginner when it comes to Ceylon teas. Ratnapura teas kind of opened my eyes to what Ceylon had to offer. So far the low land southern teas are the ones that work for me. I think Ceylon has close to a dozen recognized tea growing regions.

Welcome!

Do give Keemums a shot. Many of them have a touch of the smokey character of Lapsang Souchong but it is more of background note rather than the dominant flavor. Toast/biscuit, cocoa, chocolate, wine, honey, spice and various fruits all also frequently get mentioned in Keemum descriptions. The teas have some "weight" on the palate, they aren't wispy, ethereal teas by any stretch. I think it should be a relatively easy step for both beer and coffee drinkers.

Assams often do tend to be quite malty but raw wort seems a bit harsh.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Do give Keemums a shot. Many of them have a touch of the smokey character of Lapsang Souchong but it is more of background note rather than the dominant flavor.

That's exactly what turned me on about it most. As soon as I can make a little room, I'll pick some up. I'm gonna tell my wife that you're a bad influence on me.

Assams often do tend to be quite malty but raw wort seems a bit harsh.

Oh, I agree. Instead of saying that they remind me of raw wort, I should have said that they make me think too much about raw wort. After brewing for 23 years and tasting a lot of raw wort, it's an easy memory to evoke. I should've been even more specific and said "raw, bitter wort." It's all a matter of personal taste.

On a big "Barry's Irish Breakfast" kick. Just opened another box. It made great refrigerator tea all summer and now starting it hot.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That tasty Cascara I've been chatting about. This seems an appropriate enough thread.

A blended green with dehydrated orange slices, pink peppercorns, and a hint of saffron. It is a nice change of pace.

around a #4, but usually no milk. $Yorkshire Tea.jpg

Revisiting my Purple Tea (Black) with Chrysanthemum.

When I first brewed this on Friday I thought it was a bit too flowery, but coming back to it after the long weekend I think it's grown on me.

Top Bottom