What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

View attachment 779993
That's on the short list of knives I want to own. I'm really surprised I never have had one of those actually, seems like one I would have picked up by now.

Today it's this new Spyderco PM2. I like it!

Yea it's a bit heavy and antiquated but I love the history of that model. Changed the way knives are made and carried. I have the US made version. Comes with a leather sheath. The Chinese version (Walmart) comes with a really crappy nylon. Today I'm carrying my CRTK cruzer with G10 scales. Great little EDC and I believe I paid maybe 20 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legion

Staff member
Yea it's a bit heavy and antiquated but I love the history of that model. Changed the way knives are made and carried. I have the US made version. Comes with a leather sheath. The Chinese version (Walmart) comes with a really crappy nylon. Today I'm carrying my CRTK cruzer with G10 scales. Great little EDC and I believe I paid maybe 20 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a good, dependable knife. When I lived and worked in the bush I had one on my belt every day. Living in the city now, there is no way I can EDC a 110, but I still store it in my camping/ "bug out bag".

Not that it is a big deal, but has anyone else had an issue with the brass on this knife turning green in storage? I do keep it in it's leather sheath, which won't help, I know. I'm tempted to clean it up and giving the whole thing a coat of Renaissance Wax.

Today it's this old Barlow knife. I picked it up recently at an antique store and started to put an edge on but it needs a little more work.
Barlow.JPG

Pretty exciting day today...I got some Ebay mail.
The Old Timer Mustang was my first large folder as a boy. I started thinking about it the other day for some reason and couldn't remember what ever happened to it, decided to order a new one.
The current models, while very cheap, are made in China (not always a deal breaker for me but in this case I wanted the original..nostalgia) with no liner lock.
Quite a few vintage models on Ebay and I picked this up in very nice shape for around $40. I loved this knife as a 12-13 year old kid and 40 year old me is happy to see it again.
Turns out I gave the original to my younger brother, I had forgotten.
Old Timer Mustang.JPG

Great find I got one a while back and they take nice sharp edge.

Today I have a Uncle Henry 340 , a Buck 373 a SAK and a Colonial qick flip

20170420_134113.jpg
How do you like the bd1 Vs aus8?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

BD1 is a decent upgrade all the way around. Holds its edge quite a bit better, sharpens just as easily, and I have yet to see a blade chip under normal use.

I have only seen two blades fail: one broke while holding 416 lbs during testing (broke just forward of the pivot), the other chipped when it ran into a nail while batoning through a pallet - neither activity is recommended for a folding knife!

Ultimate Hunter in my pocket today :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I'm not worried about failing. How about edge retention? It's way more corrosion resistant. I experienced that much first hand experience

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Takes and retains a nice edge (IMHO) better than AUS8. My Voyager processes a lot of boxes for the fire place as well as cutting lines and stripping copper wire. I have managed to roll the edge a few times while working in the garage, but it sharpened out without too much trouble.

As for corrosion resistance, I live about 100ft from a harbor on the Pacific, and take the knife sailing and kayaking quite a bit. I have yet to get any rust.

At Work: Byrd Finch.
Around the house: Spyderco Persistence.
Hunting: Camillus 2001.

Unfortunately I view knives as purely utilitarian tools, they end up getting badly abused. My BIL suggested a folding knife with replaceable blades. He might have something there.

IMG_1159.JPG
Microtech Ultratech today. This is the first OTF I've ever owned, pretty nifty. It's a double action blade so it ejects and retracts with a push of the switch. Lots of fun.

@Lockedin, do you work at the cold steel hq in so cal? I have been there several times in the last 6 months. I bought a ti light(which is now shave sharp, thanks to my boredom and making my own denim strop) and a recon(spear point, non serated) and my room mate bought a couple too. A guy I work with has several he has bought in the last couple years there too, he is the one who turned me on to cold steel.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Great to meet you yesterday! :badger:

Great to meet you yesterday! :badger:
Always a pleasure to meet decent people, and buy new knives, lol. Got a swift, went down the road to wood craft and got a bench stone, 1800 grit. Then stropped. Paper whittling sharp, not hair whittling yet. Going to buy a Norton 4000/8000 next month.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom