What's new

What do you use the most ink on?

I've been curious about what other 'nibsters' spend most of their ink on. Like most everyone here, i have quite a bit of ink stockpiled and I'm looking for additional uses that I could pick up. My current "garden journaling" and "to-do list" making isn't making a dent in it :blush:

What do you guys use your ink for?

These are rough percentages...

10-15% work, and 90 percent of that is writing in my Franklin Covey day planner.
50-55% journaling or just doodling on scrap paper. My most recent "journal" has been a daily shave log.
35% correspondence. That's dropped. It use to be much higher, but when people don't write back...oh well.

Refinishing guitars and furniture actually... As a "push present" for my wife I used a nice turquoise ink from Lamy to rub a rocking chair with (took almost an entire bottle) and then "locked it in" with several coats of TruOil.

I have enough different inks that it does take quite a while to notice the level of any of them going down appreciably.

I don't like to throw out percentages not based on actual measurement, but most of my writing has to be in my journals. Probably work and general personal record keeping are close to equal behind that. Writing fiction and poetry is probably behind that at the moment; I seem to be bogged down. And I don't really write a lot of letters at all.

Presumably spilling ink doesn't count as usage. :bored:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's mostly work, and a bit of journaling. The best way to 'up' your ink consumption is to replace a fine nib with a 1.1 stub.

I don't like to throw out percentages not based on actual measurement, but ...

I am 83% in agreement with you.

What are you guys hand writing at work? I guess attorneys and therapists would be big note takers.

Working in the IT industry I have very few writing opportunities. I'm almost completely limited to note taking during training, everything else is on the computer.

What are you guys hand writing at work? I guess attorneys and therapists would be big note takers.

Working in the IT industry I have very few writing opportunities. I'm almost completely limited to note taking during training, everything else is on the computer.

I work in IT as well but I write down a ton of stuff because I'm forgetful as all hell lol. Constantly have an old military log book with me for just such purposes.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Journals, notes for school, practicing my penmanship, leisure essays, poetry, list making, signing papers or documents, anything...

I prefer to write most things out, opposed to using a computer or whatnot. I don't mind using a computer for reference, or out of necessity, but I like the freedom of being able to scribble around or illustrate whatever I'm jotting down at the moment.

I am in to IT and need to attend a lot of meetings where ideas fly thick. Need to capture a lot of inputs. I am also in the habit of jotting down short sentences for each meeting to remind me of the flow. A lot of signatures too !

1. Journaling
2. Homework once the semester starts
3. Misc notes, to do lists, etc

Work would take up the most, but a ball point is a better option for me there. Same with taking notes in class, ball point.

#1 Class Journals
#2 Lists, lists, and more lists
#3 Exercise Journal
#4 Poetry/Prose Journal

Signing hall passes - incoming and outgoing are way up there too but I refuse to count them...

Notes mostly. I've been taking some courses on Coursera and EdX lately and I find that I retain lecture info much better if I write notes by hand, even if I never look at those notes again.

Maybe 25% note taking at work, and 75% letter writing. I write my four siblings and two daughters every two weeks, plus other good friends. I probably write a letter every night. Certainly more productive than watching TV.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I use it mostly for signing checks. The checks go mostly to charity. They are part of my tenth to the Lord.

Then I send many of them (charity people) notes explaining why I give so little because I give to so many.

Those people then become pen pals, but they didn't want to be pen pals.

Notes at work - I've found handwriting notes during meetings helps me pay attention better and remember more.
Journaling, personal letters, practicing handwriting - all things I have done, like to do, don't get back to as often as I'd like.

Ever hear of Mind Mapping? I've found it quite useful sometimes.

Ever hear of Zentangle(R) or ZIA - Zentangle(R) Inspired Art?
It could be described as doodling on steroids, but it can be a bit more mindful.
Overall it's meant to be meditative, hence the Zen.
Some have told me they are able to listen better when doodling than when trying to take notes, and having the patterns are helpful.

Top Bottom