What's new

A New Lamy

This is a repost of a journal entry I did the other day. I'm doing this because this is actually the right forum for this post...besides my journal that is. I've changed a few things just to make it a bit more relevant.

My Lamy Aion pen arrived yesterday. Along with a converter and a bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper ink. Pretty excited...initially. When I opened the package there was the usual nice black presentation box from Lamy but when I opened that I saw a pen that wasn't the colour I'd ordered. ??? So I wrote a couple of emails to the company I ordered the pen from and that was 2 days ago, I have yet to hear anything yet. What I did discover was the colour I saw is either a photo screw up or a mistake on someone's part. You can see in the photo the pen is actually a very nice silvery green. In fact it's called "Olive Silver". You can also see the pen I received is pretty much just silver. Doing a bit of sleuthing and research I find that the green colour was never a thing. They do have a dark green colour for the pen but not the light version. There are pages that show the pen in the silver colour and is named "Olive Silver". Sigh.

Anyway, you can see the pen is not small. This is my third Lamy pen, I seem to like their pens. Actually it's my 4th Lamy but I ruined one by using waterproof ink which I didn't clean out properly. Sigh. The pic shows the size compared to my other pens.

The Aion is not as elegant as the Studio, Faber or Traveler's. The Safari never was and I didn't buy it for the looks. I swapped out the EF nib for a Fine, but may swap back. I tried to use the converter but for whatever reason it wouldn't draw the ink up very well. So I used my "monoject" syringe to fill the converter.The pen came with a converter and a cartridge so that was a nice touch. I also got another converter. The pen is not badly balanced and is easy to use posted or not. it's made from aluminum so not overly heavy at all. The pen however, seems to be on the "clumsy" side of things.

I filled the pen with the Ancient Copper ink. The writing with the EF nib was ok...typical Lamy. The F nib was the same but more flow with the ink. The copper colour is a bit disconcerting to me and I may go back to black because I seem to prefer darker ink. The writing is ok with both nibs, it's the size of the pen that's the concern right now. I don't know if I could do an extended session of journalling or a long letter with this pen.

I have to say, it was the colour that drew me to this pen in the first place. I liked it and still do but it doesn't exist. I read some reviews and there were a couple of people who liked the pen but were sure they ordered the green colour not silver. So there's that. I'm glad the price was a "promo" because I doubt I would keep the pen if I had to pay full or normal pricing.

It probably isn't going to get a lot of usage and I may even gift someone with it. Next Xmas might be a good time.
It's like with razors...it's ok but I'm not sure if it becomes a "go-to" pen for me.
Cheers.

This is the colour I thought I ordered
gr_25184.jpg

This is what arrived...Doesn't look the same, or even close.
IMG_3202.jpeg

Compared to my other pens...bottom to top: Aion, Safari, Studio, F-C Ambition and Traveler's Company
tempImageDp1oq0.png

Posted
tempImage0JJtQt.png

This is a repost of a journal entry I did the other day. I'm doing this because this is actually the right forum for this post...besides my journal that is. I've changed a few things just to make it a bit more relevant.

My Lamy Aion pen arrived yesterday. Along with a converter and a bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper ink. Pretty excited...initially. When I opened the package there was the usual nice black presentation box from Lamy but when I opened that I saw a pen that wasn't the colour I'd ordered. ??? So I wrote a couple of emails to the company I ordered the pen from and that was 2 days ago, I have yet to hear anything yet. What I did discover was the colour I saw is either a photo screw up or a mistake on someone's part. You can see in the photo the pen is actually a very nice silvery green. In fact it's called "Olive Silver". You can also see the pen I received is pretty much just silver. Doing a bit of sleuthing and research I find that the green colour was never a thing. They do have a dark green colour for the pen but not the light version. There are pages that show the pen in the silver colour and is named "Olive Silver". Sigh.

Anyway, you can see the pen is not small. This is my third Lamy pen, I seem to like their pens. Actually it's my 4th Lamy but I ruined one by using waterproof ink which I didn't clean out properly. Sigh. The pic shows the size compared to my other pens.

The Aion is not as elegant as the Studio, Faber or Traveler's. The Safari never was and I didn't buy it for the looks. I swapped out the EF nib for a Fine, but may swap back. I tried to use the converter but for whatever reason it wouldn't draw the ink up very well. So I used my "monoject" syringe to fill the converter.The pen came with a converter and a cartridge so that was a nice touch. I also got another converter. The pen is not badly balanced and is easy to use posted or not. it's made from aluminum so not overly heavy at all. The pen however, seems to be on the "clumsy" side of things.

I filled the pen with the Ancient Copper ink. The writing with the EF nib was ok...typical Lamy. The F nib was the same but more flow with the ink. The copper colour is a bit disconcerting to me and I may go back to black because I seem to prefer darker ink. The writing is ok with both nibs, it's the size of the pen that's the concern right now. I don't know if I could do an extended session of journalling or a long letter with this pen.

I have to say, it was the colour that drew me to this pen in the first place. I liked it and still do but it doesn't exist. I read some reviews and there were a couple of people who liked the pen but were sure they ordered the green colour not silver. So there's that. I'm glad the price was a "promo" because I doubt I would keep the pen if I had to pay full or normal pricing.

It probably isn't going to get a lot of usage and I may even gift someone with it. Next Xmas might be a good time.
It's like with razors...it's ok but I'm not sure if it becomes a "go-to" pen for me.
Cheers.

This is the colour I thought I ordered
View attachment 1819012

This is what arrived...Doesn't look the same, or even close.
View attachment 1819015

Compared to my other pens...bottom to top: Aion, Safari, Studio, F-C Ambition and Traveler's Company
View attachment 1819017

Posted
View attachment 1819018
The picture of the pen that you ordered looks like it was rendered and not a real photograph. It is too uniform shading, lighting and "clean" to be a real photo. Many manufacturers do this these days. Take IKEA for an example. Inside their catalog about 80% of their pictures are rendered. It is easier to do and they can make the settings, adjust them as they go along. Sorry for the rabbit trail there. Still stinks that the color is not what they portray it to really be.

The picture of the pen that you ordered looks like it was rendered and not a real photograph. It is too uniform shading, lighting and "clean" to be a real photo. Many manufacturers do this these days. Take IKEA for an example. Inside their catalog about 80% of their pictures are rendered. It is easier to do and they can make the settings, adjust them as they go along. Sorry for the rabbit trail there. Still stinks that the color is not what they portray it to really be.
Yeah, I agree...however, it's so different from what the actual colour turned out to be that I just don't have a clue as to why they'd show something so obviously different.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Congrats! An even more industrial Bauhaus look than the 2000 in my eye.

Is the grip section metal too?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... it's so different from what the actual colour turned out to be that I just don't have a clue as to why they'd show something so obviously different.
Whose photo was that? The Lamy site shows a pretty much silver pen. Same at Jet Pens.

Jet
1711560230905.png

Whose photo was that? The Lamy site shows a pretty much silver pen. Same at Jet Pens.

Jet
View attachment 1819119
Indeed the Lamy site has a more pure silver look to it. Now it is interesting that they call the color 077-olivesilver on Lamy's site, but it does not look the slightest green to me.

LAMY aion - Product Information and Writing Systems - https://www.lamy.com/en/lamy-aion/#sku-1231946

1711561614864.png

That's a shame. Why even call it "olive" if there is not a hint of green? Makes zero sense, especially considering the picture at the site where you bought it. I certainly hope they respond to your email.

Having said that (and understanding that the color was a primary reason for purchase) it is still a very nice looking pen.

I'd love to order the "deepdarkblue" version, but now I'm afraid I'll just get "deepdark".

Jet
View attachment 1819119
Yeah. I ordered from a company up here in Canada. it showed the fountain pen in that light green colour under the name Olive Silver. They still have the ballpoint and rollerball versions showing that light green but not the fountain pen any longer. When I ordered the pen it was at a promo price and there were a limited number available. So I think they sold out the Silver and took the photo down. Funny though, I emailed them several days ago and no response. I'll reach out again today...probably a wee bit more forcefully as to why they haven't responded to my questions and concerns. The pic is from their web page and shows the pen in the green colour in the ballpoint/rollerball versions. It's confusing because other people have bought the pen and been unhappy about the colour not being what was shown.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 8.05.36 AM.jpeg

That's a shame. Why even call it "olive" if there is not a hint of green? Makes zero sense, especially considering the picture at the site where you bought it. I certainly hope they respond to your email.

Having said that (and understanding that the color was a primary reason for purchase) it is still a very nice looking pen.

I'd love to order the "deepdarkblue" version, but now I'm afraid I'll just get "deepdark".
If you do, I hope you like large pens. I find it to be a bit too big to hold comfortably if writing for an extended period. Like when I'm journalling. You might like the Studio in the Imperial Blue...a very comfortable and easy to write with pen. I really like mine.

Top Bottom