What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Saturday Morning Shave Salutations

Rating: 9.6/10 Very Nice

Getting a bit better with the Feather Straight Edge.
If I didn't have a guarded blade it probably would have been bloody.
Did two passes with the Feather and finished with the Wilkinson for the final BBS pass.
What an amazing little brush.
Can't be more than a 18mm or less knot but creates a lather that rivals my 26mm's.
Thank You and a shout out to Frank Shaving for throwing it into my recent order. What a pleasant surprise.

Feather SS Kamisori Razor
Wilkinson Sword Bonded Razor System
Cella Soap Sample
Frank Shaving Two Face Green Brush
Proraso Red Splash On
Bleu de Chanel Aftershave Balm

8C1E7894-AEBE-4600-BCB1-ABE3D465B654-compressed.jpeg

Saturday’s shave….
Omega 10108
arko!
USA Gillette pre war, fat handle Tech and a 7OC blade
IMG_7071.jpeg
Absolutely stellar shave today. Great razor that shaves close and without drama or irritation. Went past the old U.K. Gillette factory today on the way to watch a football game.
2 passer 10/10. I think I like this Tech the best . Maybe

Pre Shave:Hot water, TOBS Pre-Shave Gel
Razor:Henson AL13 v2 mild
Blade:Dorco ST300 Platinum (1)
# Days Growth:1
Soap/Cream:Cella Bio (Green)
Brush:Simpson's Duke 2 Best Badger
Post Shave:Cold water, Thayers, Proraso White
Sharpness:9
Comfort:10

Very comfortable DFS+ shave (especially after only one day)

DSD_5694 from C1 2.jpg

Last edited:
Today's shave:
Razor:
Weishi 9306 Long Handle
Blade: Astra SP #1
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce 26mm plissoft
Soap: Razorock Classic Italian Soft Shaving Soap (new tub, first use)
Result: Excellent 2+ pass 10/10 shave. Shave was BBS

During Italian Barbers (IB) recent 24 48 hour sale (they always add a day:) ) I purchased three of their soft Italian shaving soaps including XXX, Mudder Focker and today's Classic Italian. At $3.99 to $4.99 sale prices this was a great low cost chance to better experience their soft soaps in addition to IB's What-the-Puck line that I'm a big fan of. I also have a tub of their P.160 purchased late last fall.

The shave it self followed my typical process with the exception that I bowl lathered instead of face lathering. For these soft soaps I've found it is essential to ensure enough product is loaded and this is the best way to do it. Enjoyed a fresh Asta blade purchased a few years ago that came from the Gillette factory in St. Petersburg. Nice sharp and smooth blade.

I first washed my face and then scooped out a generous almond sized portion of the Classic Italian soap into my 4" diameter stainless lathering bowl. The soap had a nice mild almond scent and, as expected was relatively soft. Close enough in softness to a shaving cream that I likely could have also spread the soap on my face for face lathering instead.

I spread the soap across the bottom of my shaving bowl and began building lather with a damp brush repeatedly adding water until all the soap was consumed into a lather with my preferred consistency. The impressive lather was nice and creamy and just a bit lighter in density than what I build from my hard pucks. This soap appears to be an perfect match for use with my plissoft brush. The lather had a nice creamy and luxurious feel with plenty of slickness. It was stable through my entire shave and, while it offered good residual slickness, washed off easily when done.

One reason I purchased this soap was to see how it compared with my Razorock P.160. The only difference between these soaps is that the P.160 has some tallow listed 6th on it's ingredient list. Both these soaps are excellent though, surprisingly, I have to give the Classic Italian a slight edge. It was just a bit creamier and more luxurious. Also it was softer than the P.160 making it easier to lather. Again, both excellent soaps so we are talking about small, but definitely detectable differences. Further supports the assessment, in the thread linked below, that the minor/trace ingredients often don't have a material effect on shaving soap performance. Note that this small performance edge was also true relative to my TFS Red Bowl also evaluated in that thread.

One addition factor to note is the age of these soaps. My P.160 and TFS Red Bowl soaps have Lot numbers that imply mid 2022 manufacturing dates versus July 2023 for the Classic Italian. In comparing the two tubs the P.160 looks like it dried a bit with some separation from the tub sides and, while still soft enough to be scooped, it is significantly harder than the Classic Italian. My new Razorock XXX soap has the same lot number/manufacturing date as the Classic Italian and uses the same P.160 base with some tallow so I'll have a better sense if age is a factor in relative performance when I shave with it.

Overall all my Razorock soaps are excellent from a core shaving performance perspective and great value at the above sale prices. So far little if any material improvement to performance realized from added trace ingredients to the soap base.

Link to P.160 & TFS Red Bowl Comparison:

20240503_085251.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1922 New Improved Silver Richwood set
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium
Brush: Paladin Beehive Satin Butterscotch
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Noble Otter Plunder
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten

DE SOTD, Saturday, May 4th 2024

Razor : Yaqi TFC adjustable, MFG 2021>, any range. Well made but slightly blade forward even on setting #1. I usually get decent shaves with this razor and like to go up in increments as the shave progresses. The razor is based on the French 1930's Gibbs adjustable but uses standard Gillette blades + protected from blade tab overhang. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Personna Red(2) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity IMO. Great blade.
Soap : Razorock M.F, masculine nice cologne scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Deep stones" 24mm boss knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock M.F splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Personna red blade.
SOTD May 4 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!
I just purchased some RR MF. Looking forward to seeing how the Fullers Earth improves the lather quality compared to their Classic Italian, also excellent, that I shaved with for the first time today. Have you used other RR soft soaps and if so how did they compare to MF?

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna PTFE
Brush: Maggards 26mm SHD Fan
Soap and Splash: Catie’s Bubbles 322

First shave with the Sabre, it was honestly the shave that I have been searching for. I already knew I was starting to prefer SE over DE but the Sabre is on a whole other level. Since I’ve started wet shaving after I bought my second razor I’ve never used the same razor two days in a row. I think that’s about to change.

Razor 10/10
Soap 10/10

Overall 10/10 outstanding!

IMG_0565.jpeg

full

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip 1956
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia G5C knot
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: A&E Asian Pear 🍐

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, La Toja 🇪🇸
Aftershave: A&E Asian Pear 🍐

---
Very nice shave today. The lather was grand and the razor was kind.
First use of this re-knotted brush was interesting.
Not as compliant as I had hoped for but definitely a treat that made a ton of lather easily and scrubbed heartily. Maybe further use will help us to find it's groove.

---
2 pass shave, WTG, XTG
Rating: 10/10 BBS

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Razor: Glorious shave today with the '48 Aristocrat - thank you @Radimus
Blade: Treet Platinum (4) These blades impress me and what a bargain price
Soap/Splash: A&E Apricity is one of my favorite scents and is an excellent performer
Brush: Badger in carved antler - small but dense and always delivers heaps of lather
Result: Beautimus! I think I could challenge @FarmerTan in a handsome face contest
View attachment 1840629
Now that I see (noticed?) for the first time that Remo head, you may not be as purty as me, but we have the same good taste in skins!

Pre Shave: Wash face with with warm water.
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70.
Blade: Gillette Nacet, shave #2.
Soap/Cream: Cella Shave Soap Cream.
Lather Method: Face lather.
Brush: Zenith 507N unbleached boar bristle.
Post Shave: Rinse with warm water.
Rating: 9.5/10.

Razorock Mamba 70 and the Gillette Nacet paired up for shave #2. Soap and brush were Cella's shave soap and a Zenith 507 unbleached boar. I finally finished breaking in this boar brush and in comparison to the shave on April 29, this brush is now a dream! I spent the past 4 days repeating this process, I soaking the brush in a mug of water about a 1/2" below the knot for 24 hours, removing and rubbing vigorously for about 15 minutes. The brush went from eating up the soap and not making any lather and having the backbone of a 2x12, to absolutely luxuriousness! It is so soft on the face with just the right amount of scrub and backbone, and is now an absolute lather monster. Totally worth the breaking in period and highly recommended to anyone wanting to get their boar brush in usable condition quickly. As for the Cella soap, this is my first time using it and the scent is absolutely incredible. Soap was lathered up via a face lather. Sideburns were cleared and I let the Nacet do its magic. First pass was WTG. Second pass was XTG. Every stroke felt very, very smooth, leaving me impressed with the Facet blades. The remaining soap was then rinsed and I then applied Cella's aftershave balm. Hhhmmmm... what to say about. the balm... it is very moisturizing and non greasy. Unfortunately the scent is very strong for my liking and is nothing like the soap whatsoever. I really don't think they are a good scent pairing, but you really do not smell the soap ice you rinse after the shave. I think Cella could really do better and make the balm's scent match the soap. In conclusion, the balm, performance wise, several thumbs up. Scent wise, thumbs down.

IMG_5668.jpg

🐱 🐶 🦡 🐴 🐷 🐅 🦑 🐠 🐍 🦇 🐊 SOTD May 3rd 2024
🐱 🐶 🦡 🐴 🐷 🐅 🦑 🐠 🐍 🦇 🐊

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SV Saturday

Semogue Saturdays!

Hello friends

Hot Saturday around here. I chose SV 70th Anniversary for today. Semogue Pegasus Mistura starts to show itself in this fourth shave. Greencult 2.0 plate IV and Gillette Silver Blue (2) made my weekend very happy. I finished with the splendid Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

With us Pee Wee Russell's magical clarinet

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves!
❤️🪒

B396A033-E5E2-4437-9EBF-AEEFAE72ACCC.jpeg
IMG_6758.jpeg

Pre: Nivea Face Wash and Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB w/Crown handle
Blade: Kai (1)
Soap: Stirling Deep Blue Sea
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft Synthetic
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Stirling SDM AS and unscented balm

So pairing the Kai and its increased exposure with the Timeless .68 confirmed my suspicions. I want a more aggressive/efficient version of the Timeless! I think that the .95SB is where I'll end up, but I might also try the Slim plate. Overall shave tonight: 9.5/10.

Top Bottom