What's new

What camera do you use?

I have a Canon G-6 and thought I actually was doing ok 'til I read this thread. I can see there is a ton I will be able to learn. There are some really great pics here. Now I gotta buy a new camera... :001_unsur

proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful razors Bill!

The Canon G6 is a very nice camera! You're probably kidding about buying a new camera but unless you're moving up to a DSLR, I probably wouldn't right now. I'd wait until there are more technology breakthroughs such as larger sensors in point and shoot cameras.

I'm considering two cameras for purchase. One for every day family pocket camera and one for the business inventory shots.

Business: Canon Eos 400D
Family: Sony DSC-N2

Any comments about either of these?

I'm considering two cameras for purchase. One for every day family pocket camera and one for the business inventory shots.

Business: Canon Eos 400D
Family: Sony DSC-N2

Any comments about either of these?

Rich:

I'm pretty much a Canon guy so I have no real experience with the Sony. I'd check DPReview and see how it shakes out there.

The Canon 400D is the internation version of the XTi - which is a very nice camera. The 400D was not meant for sale in the US so if you're ordering it, be aware that it will be "Grey market". It will come with an international warranty but not a US warranty. it will save you a few dollars up front but if you need to have warranty work, it becomes problematic in that you may have to send it oversees. I normally opt for the US version.

That camera isn't exactly pocketable. :biggrin:

Haha very true. The image quality is very good, it has enough pixels and zoom, but what I find lacking is its response in low light. There's also some noise, and sometimes the AF doesn't quite get it and I get blurred shots. But with my recently acquired RAD and SCAD, a good DSLR will be a long way off. :lol:

I'm a Canon guy - I use a Canon 10D and a host of pro-sumer lenses, but I haven't made the leap into the "pro" level "L" glass. Too many other acquisition disorders at the moment.

I also have a number of film bodies - the Canon EOS 5 among them, as well as several Polaroid SX-70 cameras and what may be my favorite camera of all - a Holga: a $20 medium-format toy camera with a plastic lens that has no bells and whistles. I suppose its sort of the straight razor of photography.

James P.

I'm a Canon guy - I use a Canon 10D and a host of pro-sumer lenses, but I haven't made the leap into the "pro" level "L" glass. Too many other acquisition disorders at the moment.

I also have a number of film bodies - the Canon EOS 5 among them, as well as several Polaroid SX-70 cameras and what may be my favorite camera of all - a Holga: a $20 medium-format toy camera with a plastic lens that has no bells and whistles. I suppose its sort of the straight razor of photography.

James P.

I have a Holga as well. There are a lot of variations in the quality of the lens as you would expect on a $20.00 medium format camera! Mine is actually too good! I was hoping for a really crappy one so I could get some cool pix but mine's too good to be crappy and too crappy to be good!:confused:

I wish I could sell all my film bodies but for what they're bringing, I think I'll just use them as doorstops.

Have you tried the Lens Baby? I have one, but I am kind of ashamed to admit it. I mean, I use my $1,500 camera, with a $250 lens in an effort to replicate the optics of a $20.00 plastic camera. There's something seriously wrong with this picture!

Yet, I do it. And I have fun!

James

Have you tried the Lens Baby? I have one, but I am kind of ashamed to admit it. I mean, I use my $1,500 camera, with a $250 lens in an effort to replicate the optics of a $20.00 plastic camera. There's something seriously wrong with this picture!

Yet, I do it. And I have fun!

James

I've not tried the Lens Baby but I have a friend who's considering one. I thought I'd see how he likes it first.

I use to be the guy with a black room in his house...and I still have a lot of cameras...

Serveral Nikon FM's, FM-2's, FM-2T, FE-2,,,,,,,

I have a few 8x10 box cameras...(Nothing like an 8x10 negative directly on the paper for a great pic)

a couple Contaflex cameras...One really nice Leica..

My point and shoot digital is a Olympus...I don't have a digital SLR yet...

I will get one just haven't had the time to mess with them...

Just ordered a Canon A640 from Newegg to take inventory shots. Just need to pick up a studio in a box and I should be doing great.

Fujifilm Finepix F-30, which is quite superb piece of digital camera. Small, pocketable (though, not the slimmest one), fast, precise, sharp (as Feather) and all that. Only con this far has been menus that are not that well designed.

Just got a Nikon D200. Used to use a Nikon D70. The D200 is a major improvement. I use some older, manual Nikon lenses. Its the equivalent to using old Gillettes to the more modern razors. I guess I'm just a retro kind of guy but I do like the new technology the D200 offers.

My other camera is a Casio EX-Z800. Its quite small and takes nice photos.

The camera is only as good as the person using it and the vision that person has that he is trying to portray in his work.

I'm surprised and shocked that everyone here uses the camera equivalent of Norelco Quadra Action shavers :wink: These are cameras:thumbup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm surprised and shocked that everyone here uses the camera equivalent of Norelco Quadra Action shavers :wink: These are cameras:thumbup:

+ a billion.

Cameras are made out of metal. My Rollei will outlast anything made today.

Top Bottom