What's new

What camera do you use?

I am just curious as to what cameras you guys are using for those great SOTD photos? I am also wanting to make a slight upgrade from my current little point and shoot setup. Do you guys have any recommendations for a camera for under $400.00 (street price)?
Thanks, DJ.

Current camera: Canon PowerShot SD200 Digital Elph 3.2 MP

I made a sizeable investment into a Nikon D-70 a couple years ago. I am thrilled with the camera. It can do everything and has an infinite number of accessories. I am not suggesting you go buy one of these but I would highly recommend Nikon products like a D-50 or D-something as well as their CoolPix and other cameras that are around the $400 range.

My primary camera is a Nikon D70 and assorted lenses.

My diaper bag camera is a Canon Elph.

I used to have all sorts of film equipment, but sold them when I went digital. I have since gained an interest in older, larger format cameras, but haven't had the time to make good on that interest.

There are quite a number of options in the $400 range. What are you looking to use it for?

I got a Canon Powershot SD700 IS a few months ago. A size to carry around in a pocket(or in my case around the neck)

Recommend you check out the Digital Photography.com site for reviews and comments on whats available.

I have a Canon SD550 that I use for digital photographs. I also have a Canon Elan 7N with a 50mm f/1.4 lens (I have yet to purchase any other lenses), however it is a film camera and so doesn't work well for internet postings.

Canon Rebel XT
This is my Daughter at Cape Cod last summer.
I love the camera but kind of wish I went with the Nikon D50.

My primary camera is a Nikon D70 and assorted lenses.

My diaper bag camera is a Canon Elph.

I used to have all sorts of film equipment, but sold them when I went digital. I have since gained an interest in older, larger format cameras, but haven't had the time to make good on that interest.

There are quite a number of options in the $400 range. What are you looking to use it for?

John, I just want a good general use camera, but one that I can use for some web content for my new website...and of course the SOTD. Here are a couple I was thinking about.http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S3IS/S3ISA.HTM

I just traded in my Canon Elan 7e for a Canon S3 IS. I really miss my SLR, but just couldn't afford one in digital. Thankfully, the S3 is still a very capable camera -- plus it's easy for SWMBO to use.

Jon, great shot! Very artistic.

I use an HP digital. It's a little older (just 3.1 megapixels), but I can usually edit down to good shots I like.

I have an Olympus C700. It sort of outdated now as far as digital goes, but it still takes great macro (closeup) pictures. I'm not upgrading for now because of what that camera cost me when I bought it, I want to amortize the investment some more.

I'm currently using a Canon SD300. My next pocket camera will be a Canon because I've acquired a few battery packs, but there are lots of quality small cameras out there now.

As far as digital SLR I'd personally get a Nikon, but the Canons are nice as well.

John, I just want a good general use camera, but one that I can use for some web content for my new website...and of course the SOTD. Here are a couple I was thinking about.http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S3IS/S3ISA.HTM

DJ:

The Canon A710IS would be an excellent fit for your needs! It's a great camera with image stabilized lens and good manual controls that could take you from point and shoot to more serious photography if you had the desire. It's also a good value I think. It got excellent reviews on many of the review sites including DPreview.

Since I shot professionally for around 9 years, I still have 4 35mm cameras, 2 medium format 645s and a 6x7! I thought about selling them but for what they're bringing now, I'll probably just keep them until they're antiques (they make good doorstops).

For digital purposees, I shoot a Canon 20D and just bought the new G7 for Christmas (I get my best Chrismas presents that way).

Good luck with your decision.

Here's a shot of my SOTD from 1/5/06. Canon 20D with 300mm 2.8 lens. (Used to shoot college football)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be the DSLR oddball...
proxy.php

So far, I've been pleased with it. I'm still very novice, but I bought it to learn the art of photography, and it's suited me quite well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll agree with Jerry. I've never been very impressed with the Canon "S" line, but the "A" series are fantastic cameras. If I had to buy another P&S, I'd get one in that series.

While getting into a DSLR is starting to get more and more affordable, and it's a route to consider, just remember photography acquisition disorders are extremely expensive. :biggrin:

Top Bottom