What's new

What Are You Reading?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
On a Sven Hassel kick ... "SS General."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Hassel

They are low-grade German POV trash-novels, mostly of vicious fighting on the Eastern Front.

Easy read(s), addictive. Great character portraits of Porta, Tiny, Sven, Barcelona and the Old Man ... the books are both anti-war and anti-Nazi. The one Nazi character (Heide) is openly mocked, and the SS are derided as murderers, not frontsoldaten.

Occasional technical errors, but overall, just eye-popping war horror. Somewhat hard to find in US.

AA

Last edited:

They are low-grade German POV trash-novels, mostly of vicious fighting on the Eastern Front.

Easy read(s), addictive. Great character portraits of Porta, Tiny, Sven, Barcelona and the Old Man ... the books are both anti-war and anti-Nazi. The one Nazi character (Heide) is openly mocked, and the SS are derided as murderers, not frontsoldaten.

Occasional technical errors, but overall, just eye-popping war horror. Somewhat hard to find in US.

AA

I have never heard of that author, but the Wikipedia entry on him is fascinating. He sounds like a total rogue. I may have to try to locate one of his books.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have never heard of that author, but the Wikipedia entry on him is fascinating. He sounds like a total rogue. I may have to try to locate one of his books.

:lol: I got three more off the bay yesterday after posting this. Great trashy writing.

I gather he was a Dane in the German army, and a good listener to others' war stories. Bizarre things that likely happened.

AA

She's very good. I also like Paul C. Doherty's medieval mysteries, particularly the Hugh Corbett series and the ones centered on the pilgrims from Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales":
An Ancient Evil (1994)
A Tapestry of Murders (1994)
A Tournament of Murders (1996)
Ghostly Murders (1997)
The Hangman’s Hymn (2001)
A Haunt of Murder (2002)
The Midnight Man (2012).

I'm reading Rollback by Robert J Sawyer. He's a Canadian guy and I've been here in Canada for about 5 years so I'm working to get more canadian lit in, especially sci-fi.

Re-reading Number of the Beast by Robert A. Heinlein, on my Kobo e-reader.
I'm hoping it'll make more sense to me this time around.
Every 3 pages or so somebody wants to take a bath or a shower.

Like you I had seen the movies (all three) many times, but never read the book. I did read it two or three years ago. It's amazing (1) what they left out of the movie and (2) the additional "color" the characters and events have in the book. As an example, the bridesmaid Sonny is messing around with at the beginning of the movie is really expanded on in the book. Not that it was that significant, just the example that popped into my head. Really enjoyed the book. I also read the alleged sequel, not by Puzo, called Godfather Returns or something like that. Interesting, but definitely not Puzo.

Maybe the book I have read the most times. I love this book.

AA

I first read Sven Hassel's books at school and I still have 3 of my original set Corgi paperbacks, published in 1978 and costing 85p each(!) I repurchased the set from Amazon a few years back and read them all again, great stuff. What p!ssed me off though was the publishers us the "SS" runes as the double S in his name, which is just rubbish. As you say, the unit hated the SS and all they stood for.

That said, great books although I suspect Legion of the Damned is the only true story.

Nicholson:A Biography by Marc Eliot

$17345198.jpg

I just finished Night School, the latest Reacher book. Not really very good at all, and I wonder if Lee Child actually wrote it.

Same here. I understand that every author has good days and bad days. Not all of their books are going to be their best work, but this felt very half hearted.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Exactly right, just lazy writing.

I guess that when you are writing a series, particularly an extended one like the Reacher's, some unevenness is inherent, cause we don't want them all exactly the same do we - like McDonald's of literature? More distasteful, to me anyway, are when the pulp fiction machine writers join authorship, presumably to churn out more of the same, or blend the wages of the "name" writer with some schmo for economy of the labor rate? Eg., the king of the contemporary serial literature, James Patterson with Joey Baggadonuts, or some other stand-in writer. See for example, the book I just finished, Order to Kill, which bears the name of Vince Flynn, who died in 2013 and had nothing whatever to do with the book I just sped through.

But, to the point of this thread, I am presently reading Moonglow by Pulitzer winner Michael Chabon. I'm just 100 pages in, but it is a great read.

My main gripe with the book was everything just fell into place, too much co-incidence. Almost deus ex machina all the way through it.

I wonder if Child has run out of steam, given this effort and even the one before was not that great. A pity, but he has had a decent run.

Top Bottom