What's new

What about Vi-John shaving cream?

I used to use it somewhat frequently. It's not bad, but personally, I think Palmolive classic is better and a better buy. But I was paying a few dollars for the Vi-John when it was on sale. Of the other creams I've tried, I'd say Proraso Green, Cyril R Salter, Geo F Trumper, and Taylor of Old Bond Street are all superior in performance.

Where can you find it for 75 cents? At that price it's certainly worth a try.

They're pretty decent and does what it was made to do. It contains tea tree oil, which is definitely good. I have the Musk, Tropical Lime, Fruit Fusion, Classic as well as Icy Mint versions. I don't quite like the scent of the lime version. Classic and Icy Mint are really nice and I recommend them.
Overall, they perform pretty well for me and since its like only USD.50 a tube here in Malaysia, it's a bargain. They're always part of my rotation.

They're pretty decent and does what it was made to do. It contains tea tree oil, which is definitely good. I have the Musk, Tropical Lime, Fruit Fusion, Classic as well as Icy Mint versions. I don't quite like the scent of the lime version. Classic and Icy Mint are really nice and I recommend them.
Overall, they perform pretty well for me and since its like only USD.50 a tube here in Malaysia, it's a bargain. They're always part of my rotation.
Is the mint version better than Godrej Menthol Mist?

Is the mint version better than Godrej Menthol Mist?
I would say that the performance of both are quite similar but the Godrej feels a lot cooler on the face. Godrej definitely has more menthol in their cream. Godrej has lanolin which is great and Vi-John creams contain tea tree oil which is also pretty good. Both have completely different scents and both are pretty good in terms of performance.

Godrej is one I've not heard of. It is very cheap in price. It is as good as old standbys like Arko and La Toja?

Godrej is one I've not heard of. It is very cheap in price. It is as good as old standbys like Arko and La Toja?
Godrej has been around for ages. They're very good indeed. There's the Fresh Lime, Menthol Mint and the regular Rich Foam varieties. I don't quite like the Fresh Lime scent though. All 3 performs very well. Pretty similar in terms of performance to the Arko shaving creams. Arko soaps are definitely a lot slicker.
I also feel that La Toja creams are a little slicker.
I definitely recommend trying Godrej if you can get them at a reasonable price.

I actually found a tube of Vi-John for $4 at an ethnic grocery store. I'm not sure how different the other Vi-John variations are, but it seems like it's worth a try

Attachments

• 20230429_200214.jpg
    20230429_200214.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 31
Let us know what you think. That stuff is very cheap. I can get it for .79¢ a tube. Godrej, too.

It’s fairly decent with the injector razors I use. The lather has medium-densixty and its not too foamy.

I like soaps better for slickness, but this Vi-Jhon tube works well in the hard-water areas I live in

I don’t know what to think about Vi John. The menthol version hardly has any cooling effect and the skincare is not too good. The original version is pretty good but I have a couple of Indian creams besides Godrej with are much better - at least to me. 😊😊

Rick

I don’t know what to think about Vi John. The menthol version hardly has any cooling effect and the skincare is not too good. The original version is pretty good but I have a couple of Indian creams besides Godrej with are much better - at least to me. 😊😊

Rick
Which are better?

I got a tube of the mint and used it the other day with my straight razor. I was surprised at the performance from a cream that is so inexpensive (79¢ per tube). It had good slickness to the lather, but the cushion was only so-so. It did have enough residual slickness that I could touch up some areas without re-lathering if I were really careful. This cream is not in the same league as La Toja, but for the money not too bad. I doubt I'll ever buy more, but I didn't throw it away, either.

Which are better?

I got a tube of the mint and used it the other day with my straight razor. I was surprised at the performance from a cream that is so inexpensive (79¢ per tube). It had good slickness to the lather, but the cushion was only so-so. It did have enough residual slickness that I could touch up some areas without re-lathering if I were really careful. This cream is not in the same league as La Toja, but for the money not too bad. I doubt I'll ever buy more, but I didn't throw it away, either.
Did you feel any cooling sensation from the cream? I find it to be very subdued.

Rick

Top Bottom