What's new

The Worst Blade?

Well I of course went nuts for awhile and tried to sample every DE blade I could find. I therefore feel some obligation to point out that Blue Bird, Dorco, TreetCarbon) and Merkur all without fault shaved terribly!

I have tried most of the Lords, Crystal, All Personna (including the '74), Gillette's and Schick's of various vintages, Feather, Sharp, Wilkinson, Many, if not all the blades from the Petersburg Plant, and even an ancient "Mystery Edge" Blade (ouch!). I think my experience is echoed a few times in this thread!

The answer depends on how soft the beard is after prepping.

Personal prepping habits are a major factor in the performance of a blade.

I feel another factor is trying to match razor and blade combination also.
There Sure are a lot of things that factor in.
Recently I got a bad shave from a Personna Blue med. But it could have been a bad blade,or maybe another razor would have done better.
Had to let my neck heal up before I try again.

Derby and lords.

Well, my blade stash is safe from you ... :lol::lol:

I agree with any post that states 2 things:

You need to re-visit those blades that you used when you first started DE shaving ... you know, before you had good technique. Give 'em a fair shake! :thumbup1:

Different razors perform differently with different blades. Find a good combo for you. RE: the reason you see so many sampler packages for sale at any time. :thumbup:

Okay, my answer is Walmart Wilkies & Dollar General's brand (Dorco?).

I feel another factor is trying to match razor and blade combination also.
There Sure are a lot of things that factor in.
Recently I got a bad shave from a Personna Blue med. But it could have been a bad blade,or maybe another razor would have done better.
Had to let my neck heal up before I try again.
Very true. Feathers cut me up badly in an HD but are as smooth as silk in a slim set at around 4 - 3. I am also not to fond of personnas but I might give them another try. I to have to be careful with my neck area, this is where I pick up nicks and irritation if the razor and blade combo is wrong.

Last edited:
OH! I forgot WalMart Wilkinsons-ugh. Underwhelming and close to useless. I do have a comment on the mass market Personna's that are sold under many different private labels and of course used to be available and dirt cheap at wallyworld. They are very sharp but not neccesarily smooth. I get a good shave but always end up with a few nicks and sometimes small areas of razor burn despite my best efforts. SO there!

The Merkur blade is the worst. Ironic how expensive they are and to make it worse they include a sample blade with most razors. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Worst and dullest blade I've used is the Gillette Minora my friend in South Africa sent me. One, pass and I threw it away. Rough and duller than the spine of a plastic knife.

Second worse, are the Merkur blades. Dull, Expensive, and at best the last for two lousy shaves. Just had a professional shave at AOS with a Merkur Shavette. The barber went through 2 blades to give me a decent shave. Still had razor burn and a couple of weepers from the crappy blade. Fifteen minutes of nerve racking tugging, pulling and scrapping. I told the barber to do his customers and himself a favor and ditch the AOS supplied Merkur's for a better blade.

Last edited:
Derby, Supermax Plats, lately it's been Shark SS (bad pack maybe?). Those don't agree with my face at all.

Derby, Supermax Plats, lately it's been Shark SS (bad pack maybe?). Those don't agree with my face at all.

Yeah I had some unpleasant shaves from a Shark SS recently, but will try another later to see if it was just that one blade. Thanks to a generous forum member I just got some Shark chrome blades to try to see if they work better for me than the SS.

Dorco ST-301. I got a better shave with the Family Dollar dorcos, but the ST-301 tore my face up bad and left a terrible shave, that even my ELECTRIC razor would have blown away.

I would have rather shaved with a Personna Single Blade disposable....12/$1 at Dollar General ;)

The worst blade I have tried thus far was the Feather S carbon blade, absolutely terrible, I don't knew if I got a "bad batch" but I can't imagine anyone shaving with them, I really kind believe Feather would even produce or put their name on them.

I am still new to Safety razors and i almost tried all of the blades i have from a variety pack and Wilkinson feels roughest for me.

Top Bottom