What's new

The Worst Blade?

I see a lot of Merkur and Dorco in here, which funny enough happen to be the first two blades that I've been using since I started about a week ago. Now I really am looking forward to the sample pack which should be coming any day now. I thought I got a much better shave with the Dorcos but still nicked myself a few times, which I attributed to learning the craft....

AAFES PX blades, no way Jose. I have found the Wal-Mart Wilkinsons to develop random rust spots in storage. Buy hey, for $1.67...

I'd be inclined to say Lords, but after a really good (nearly Feather good) shave today with them, I'll say they're all right.

And Merkurs. Worst $11 I ever spent.

Last edited:
I was going to say the Walmart Wilk's, as some other people have already said. I did get one pack that seemed to work pretty well, must have been a fluke though.

When I first joined the army back in the '60s the Gillette blue blade was the affordable blade that most of us used. If we got some extra cash we'd spring for some Wilkinson Swords which at that time were the best and the most expensive. At the Company Quartermaster you could get various sundries for free. Boot polish and bars of Ivory soap etc. They had these Minora blades in a yellow cardboard box. Wow, even at that young age I could get about half my face shaved with one before the tugging started. We'd joke about these blades but everyone used them when it got close to payday.

I mentioned Derby earlier, but this image sums it up.

proxy.php

I wasn't very imrpessed by derbys, but it was a "mediocre blade that just isn't sharp enough" kind of thing. The only blade I truely hated to my core was the Dorco. I tried it when I was fairly new to DE shaving, but it managed to be perfect, in the sense that no blade could possibly be worse. It was super rough, it irritated like crazy, it nicked me constantly, which was impressive, since it was too dull to cut my beard for squat.

For me it's a tie between the Wally Wilks and Bolzanos. I've gotten better shaves from Dollar General branded blades than from these two.

I dont have that much experience yet. But worst must be the Supermax Blue package version. I thought i did a great deal buying a few hundred for 6 £. Tried a few out and they where very dull imo. I gues i deserved it since i didnt do any good check up before.

But i did a bit of more research and decided to try out the green yellow ones. Much sharper and better imo.

I hear you. Got some free Dorco 300 with my chinese razor. I tried one out and trashed the rest 4. Dull and that feeling of a lawnmover you kept a few years to much and pushed through gravel now and then.

I'll likely get booed off the site for one of these in my list, but Derby, Merkur, and Feather are the worst blades for me.

Merkur is just plain bad in every way.
Derby is like shaving with a warped butter knife.
Feather shreds me one shave one, great on shave two, and dull by start of shave three.

Merkur is just plain bad in every way.
Derby is like shaving with a warped butter knife.
Feather shreds me one shave one, great on shave two, and dull by start of shave three.

I was never able to describe my experience with a Derby until now.....warped butter knife :lol:

I'd say you just about hit the nail on the head. The only difference for me is that shave #1 with a Feather was great but anything after that was anything but.

C

cstueart

Newbie here, and just moved on to my second blade. Wish I had read this before as my first blade was the Merkur that came with the razor I bought. It was awful, almost bad enough to make me give up hope right off the bat. I definitely got a better shave with my old mach 3 than with that thing, it tore my face apart, I had weepers, nichks, painful red spots everywhere. I'm new to this but not to shaving, so although I attributed some of this to inexperience, I had to wonder....

Yesterday I put in a new Astra Superior Platinum blade, and, wow. Amazing shave, clean, easy, painless and the closest I have ever had. Absolutely wonderful experience.

I admit I was skeptical about differences in blade quality but now I know the truth and know of one kind of blade I will never buy or use again! Can't wait to try the others that came in my sampler to see what else can happen.

CVS brand at the CVS drug store. Even worse is the price $5-$6 for 10 blades and on the 3rd day there will be blood. Tried the Derby and it is much better in comparison using my Gillette flare tip.

The worst I've had was Topaz - and I mean this was just plain bad they were so dull they bounced off my beard after I prepped... Walmart Wilkinson is actually my comfort blade as I learnt to shave on those. I imagine they are the same German made Wilkinson's sold for insane prices up here in Shoppers. I have my doubts about some Sharp blades I ordered accidentally but have yet to try them. Merkur wasn't as bad a blade as it is made out to be and Feathers are the scariest shave I've had (and the closest) - the jury is still out on if the smooth face after was worth the bloodshed.

The answer depends on how soft the beard is after prepping.

Everyone has a different thickness of hair , different number of hairs per square inch, and different prepping habits.

For instance my "worst" blade becomes very useful if my beard is well-softened with extra prepping time of several minutes in the shower and then with wet wash cloth on face after shower. The blade gives a very smooth , sharp shave under these conditions though un-usable under my normal prepping conditions.

The normally least usable blade in my sampler pack is the 7 AM (not to be confused with the Gillette 7 o'clock greens and yellows) but even this blade becomes very useful when showering and prepping after exercising. I am using up the pack with good sharp, smooth results if used under the proper conditions.

Personal prepping habits are a major factor in the performance of a blade.

Top Bottom