What's new

The Sprout-2017

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good golly! Thrilling!

I managed to plant the "chicken garden" today. Greens for the chickens - Rhubarb, kale, spinach, and lettuce.

I hope I don't need to plant a "deer garden" again this year...sigh. A buck ate all the lettuce last year.

I have to go out of state this week so there is no telling what SWMBO will have come up with when I get back. Till up a space and you never know what will happen. I'm looking forward to the corn and pepper patches though.

Mike, get back to your story. :biggrin:

Ah cain't...ah ain't even rit it yet, much less edit it and polish. This stuff is just off the cuff. Maybe I'll take my old Royal typewriter with me and do something.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I hope I don't need to plant a "deer garden" again this year...sigh. A buck ate all the lettuce last year.

I have to go out of state this week so there is no telling what SWMBO will have come up with when I get back. Till up a space and you never know what will happen. I'm looking forward to the corn and pepper patches though.

Ah cain't...ah ain't even rit it yet, much less edit it and polish. This stuff is just off the cuff. Maybe I'll take my old Royal typewriter with me and do something.

My dad used to fix Royal's, Smith Corona, Underwood, Olivetti, E. Remington and Sons, IBM, Imperial, Oliver.

After fixing the typewriter, as a test, he would type; "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After fixing the typewriter, as a test, he would type; "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

That is the classic sentence. I believe that's the first thing they had us practice in typing class. Is your Dad still around?

SWMBO just went to the produce stand by the state line to pick up some more stuff for the garden. No telling what she'll pack home.

Be afraid...be very afraid.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That is the classic sentence. I believe that's the first thing they had us practice in typing class. Is your Dad still around?

SWMBO just went to the produce stand by the state line to pick up some more stuff for the garden. No telling what she'll pack home.

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Yep Dad's still around. Mom's gone though. He lives out in the country, 'bout 4 miles out of Beeville, Texas.

So far, the tomatoes are growing great. The dwarf pak choy is the first to be tasted. Easy to grow and delicious. The beets and fennel seem to be going great. The trumpeter and the Red Lollo Rossa lettuce is suffering in the afternoon sun though, as well as a few of the tomatoes. It was 84 here yesterday. My chili tepin plants have both put on numerous peppers. I can't wait till they turn red for a taste. I mulched the raised beds yesterday with ground up leaves and grass from the lawn. I transplanted one of my poblano pepper plants into a 10 gallon grow bag hoping it will get just as big as Chris's.

The black mosquito net works great to give a little shade.
IMG_2793[1].JPG

Pak choy, lollo rossa,& trumpeter lettuce
IMG_2794[1].JPG

Gold and Detroit red beets. Fennel
IMG_2795[1].JPG

Heirloom tomatoes
IMG_2796[1].JPG

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yep Dad's still around. Mom's gone though. He lives out in the country, 'bout 4 miles out of Beeville, Texas.

So far, the tomatoes are growing great. The dwarf pak choy is the first to be tasted. Easy to grow and delicious. The beets and fennel seem to be going great. The trumpeter and the Red Lollo Rossa lettuce is suffering in the afternoon sun though, as well as a few of the tomatoes. It was 84 here yesterday. My chili tepin plants have both put on numerous peppers. I can't wait till they turn red for a taste. I mulched the raised beds yesterday with ground up leaves and grass from the lawn. I transplanted one of my poblano pepper plants into a 10 gallon grow bag hoping it will get just as big as Chris's.

The black mosquito net works great to give a little shade.
View attachment 777019
Pak choy, lollo rossa,& trumpeter lettuce
View attachment 777026
Gold and Detroit red beets. Fennel
View attachment 777027
Heirloom tomatoes
View attachment 777028

Lookin' good, Aaron. SWMBO just got back...she packed home some Celebrity tomatoes, cabbage, seed potatoes, and some other stuff. She's out scratching in the dirt putting some of it in. I'll cut the seed potatoes up in to chunks in a bit and let them harden up for a few days.

I would have sent this by PM, but apparently can't attach a photo in pms on the new software either.

If you get the chance, I was wondering if you'd ask your Dad if he knows what the J shaped rod is next to the typewriter eraser. I put the Royal on my desk and used it awhile back, and when I put it back where I keep it stored the little rod was lying there. From the apparent age I ***-u-me it's from inside the typewriter somewhere. Everything on the typewriter still works just fine and I can't figure out where the rod came from.

IMG_0003.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not sure. That's all I can figure...it dropped out...maybe. Not sure where it came from.

That all looks so great Aaron! I'll spare you a picture of my snow...

No help with that contraption with the keys & pads letter things.

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've looked up all the parts I could find for the Quiet De Luxe online and I haven't seen anything that looks like it. See if your Dad knows, just to make sure.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I picked this thing up last week with pretty good results. I've been getting Opossums, coons and cats in my garden mostly at night. After installing, not one incident.

Amazon.com : Hoont Cobra Powerful Outdoor Water Jet Blaster Animal Pest Repeller - Motion Activated - Expels Cats, Dogs, Squirrels, Birds, Deer, Etc. Out of Your Property [UPGRADED VERSION] : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I've heard about those. I may try one this year. Last year the deer apparently just sauntered in and ate the lettuce on the west side of the garden. Just need to remember to turn it off when I go out there. Hmmm...I may put one in and not tell SWMBO. See if she'll walk out there and go "What the heck is that thi...." :lol:

I probably should put it in right before I'm gone for a few days.

Here's what we have out so far.

Tomatoes:

Celebrity
Better Boy
Better Bush
Early Girl
Bush Goliath
Husky Cherry Red

Other stuff:

Lettuce
Cucumber
Onions
Cabbage
Squash

Still need to get the potatoes and green beans out, and till up my pepper patch and about a 12X12 foot area for some sweet corn. I think I'll put the corn patch in that little area at the upper left of the picture.

IMG_0003.JPG

Lookin' good, Aaron. SWMBO just got back...she packed home some Celebrity tomatoes, cabbage, seed potatoes, and some other stuff. She's out scratching in the dirt putting some of it in. I'll cut the seed potatoes up in to chunks in a bit and let them harden up for a few days.

I would have sent this by PM, but apparently can't attach a photo in pms on the new software either.

If you get the chance, I was wondering if you'd ask your Dad if he knows what the J shaped rod is next to the typewriter eraser. I put the Royal on my desk and used it awhile back, and when I put it back where I keep it stored the little rod was lying there. From the apparent age I ***-u-me it's from inside the typewriter somewhere. Everything on the typewriter still works just fine and I can't figure out where the rod came from.

View attachment 777039
@mgbbrown was working on a Quiet Deluxe. You may want to ask him.

Aaron; On the left side of the typewriter just below and forward of the ribbon reel- you will see the lever for the backspace key. This j-hooked rod attaches the lever to the carriage and moves the carriage to the left when the backspace key is pressed. I hope this helps! Mine is missing only its case key- I would love to find one to make it complete. Mine is a wonderful typewriter and I have used it quite a bit since refurbishing it for the 1950's office I am building.
Royal 1949 Quiet Deluxe Original Ribbon Spools and Keys.JPG
Royal 1949 Quiet Deluxe Typewriter Glass Keys.JPG
Royal 1949 Fiberglass Airline Case.JPG
Royal 1949 Quiet Deluxe Brush.JPG
Royal 1949 Quiet Deluxe Manual.JPG
God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron; On the left side of the typewriter just below and forward of the ribbon reel- you will see the lever for the backspace key. This j-hooked rod attaches the lever to the carriage and moves the carriage to the left when the backspace key is pressed. I hope this helps! Mine is missing only its case key- I would love to find one to make it complete. Mine is a wonderful typewriter and I have used it quite a bit since refurbishing it for the 1950's office I am building. View attachment 777137 View attachment 777138 View attachment 777139 View attachment 777140 View attachment 777141 God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Don't know what just "below and forward" means. Could you take a closer picture of the j-hooked thingy?

I will be happy to- I am off to the hay as I get up at 0400... I am a survivor of the North Carolina Pepper Eating Contest in 2014 I believe. I did get a tee shirt- six or seventh from the top dog...God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom