What's new

The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0

Finished my vintage Sec-sy Williams. I started on the 2nd and slipped one day for a grand total of 26 shaves. Of course I know highly recommend vintage Williams if anyone hasn't tried it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finished 100% Fatboy February this morning, but the V.D. Willy - in an Old Spice mug - is just showing the tops of the ribs in the mug- about an inch of soap x4" to go!

Which is lemony great / lemony horrible.

AA

strop

Now half as wise
It's done. 26 shaves, plus 2 from before it was grated, for a total of 28 shaves. I chased it around the tub too long today as it was, and the little sliver left has already been relegated to the Frankensoap tub! Believe it or not, I'm going to miss this Lilac Willy. Back to Trumper's tomorrow.

I had another great shave using the Lime Willy this morning. I'd say I probably have about four or five more shaves left on the soap - the bottom of the container is almost completely visible and the soap is hanging onto the sides for dear life.

The lather was thicker this morning and didn't dissipate on my face for any of the three passes. I did have to wake it up on the brush for each pass, but it still shaved well and had incredible slickness.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Today marked the first full face shave with my Vegan Willy. For the rest of Feb, I was just neck shaving as I had on a beard, which met its demise today. Hopefully, the puck will now start to diminish in size.

For the rest of Feb, I was just neck shaving as I had on a beard, which met its demise today. Hopefully, the puck will now start to diminish in size.
Same here Sam. My beard is coming off tonight. I've got 20 shaves on my puck so far. Looks about half gone.

#16 today and I used the CowBoy Lindsey method.
Squeezed 24mm WD synthetic and a soaked puck. 30 second load and about 2 minutes whipping in the ridged Ikea bowl.
The lather wasn't bad and seemed to hold on okay for the first pass but when I looked into the bowl for the second pass, it was all airy bubbles and foamy with no density.
Slick and a reasonably comfortable shave but I always feel I must hurry before it disappears.
Annoying.

2-28-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #19

Pre Shave: Urth Face Wash and Urth Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: RazoRock Protege
Blade: Feather
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in Pure Badger
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto
Non Shave Areas: Dove Men+Care Hydrate+ Face Lotion

Today I decided to go with my Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger brush. That's all that changed on the lathering part. Everything stayed the same including the results. After 2½ passes with the Protege a BBS was achieved. Just a slight sting from the alum, just to let me know I don't have the angle just right. Splashed on a healthy dose of the the Bootlegger's Virginia Perfecto. A good shave.

Setup 2-28-2017
Setup-2-28-2017.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
At least Fatboy February is over, if not this Willy.

For a change, added too much water: did get richer and higher lather. It was decent.

AA

Another stellar shave today (#24) with the Blue Willy.

I pressed the puck down into the ramekin to increase the surface area. Today was the second shave after doing that. There is still a fair amount of soap left. This could last me until the middle of the month.

I am enjoying the shaves, so I don't mind that this is taking me a while.

One thing I have noticed over the course of this... I get way better lather using a boar brush compared to any of my badgers on this soap.

Ahhh... Finally finished! Seriously though, it really wasn't that bad for me. The hardest part was sticking it out until complete! I would shave with something different every shave if I could, so this was tough!
Thanks for having me, and I'm glad I was able to experience this!

Cheers!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Twenty-eight shaves. Good bit of the bottom of the Old Spice mug showing. Maybe three or four shaves left. Just over a month total. Super cheap shave soap!

Yesterday's lathering mortally wounded the straight up Willy. As soon as I swished the brush around it, the thin disk fell into pieces. I prolonged the attack with quite a bit of water and got a thin lather that didn't provide the same level of protection that I have come to expect. It looked like good lather and it disappeared like all the others.

This morning I dealt the final blow, trying my best to lather up every bit of remaining soap. Again I got uncharacteristically poor performing lather. Sad to end on a low note, as the shaves have been good this last month, despite my criticisms of the lather and scent.

So for me it's been 28 days, the fastest disappearing soap ever. I treated it with unequal parts of malice and respect. Good shaves.

Never again.

I have a few more days left on mine, but I started it in December. Don't know if I will start another Williams straight off or not, I have plenty of other soaps to try, but I keep coming back to Williams for some reason.

Peter

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Besides being almighty bored with, have to admit the shaves are fine.

Unsure about the varying consumption rates. I can just see the top of one rib in an Old Spice mug - seriously, like the whole puck is still left. And I did use the thing every single day since Feb. 2.

AA

I think how long the puck lasts is directly proportional to how bored or how little someone likes using it...

That and how soft it's kept. I find using a ungrated puck of Williams lasts longer. Also by the nature of how I have been creating my lathers, sort of a modded Marco method, I end up with as much or more soap down the drain before it hits my face. I could do a more tidy lathering method but it would take longer to get the great lathers I have been getting.

I'm still looking for an economically viable source for a vintage Williams puck so that I can compare the two. Reading old threads of folks who said they used Williams during the formula changes and didn't notice a difference is intriguing.

I put the excess lather back in the mug. Saves soap ( I was raised frugal, eh?) and hydrates the puck. Get quick lather that lasts this way. I'm thinking I'm about shave 70 on this puck, but don't remember when I started it, certainly before Dec 29th when I broke my ankle. Probably near the middle of the month. At any rate, not fast.

Almost as cheap as Arko to shave with.

Peter

Top Bottom