What's new

The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0

Bottom of the mug appeared today when I used my boar brush. Williams lathers up very quickly now since it's more like a cream than a soap (I put the excess back on top every day and re-use it). I'll get through Tuesday for sure, but probably not next week.

I've been using this puck since at least mid December (certainly since I broke my ankle on the 29th!) so it's given me at least 70 shaves, probably closer to 90. Not the only soap I use, but almost, and this was the second puck since the beginning of October.

Got a nice shave today, skipped yesterday because I was experimenting with not using crutches at last and didn't want to stand in the shower and to shave. Went well, only needed a crutch to go out to the barn when a friend came over to use my bandsaw and thought I might need some extra stability in the dark.

Peter

Shave 24 down and my Willy keeps shrinking. I struggle loading from the doughnut ring of soap so I reformed the remnants back to the center of the bowl. Texture was odd, a little lumpy and I had trouble getting it to reform into a homogenous mass and crumbs sometimes come off while loading. I think there are only a few more shaves and could be done on the 28th for a 27 shave run at about 2 g per shave. Lathers are still great

Picture from last Thursday, its smaller today
proxy.php

Last edited:
My two dollars investment is paying lemony dividends too long. Straight up Willy.

Same old same old. Decent seeming lather that does a vanishing act but provides a decent slick layer anyway. Lemon Pledge scent, not my thing.

Happily, it is looking pretty thin at the bottom of the tub, thanks no doubt to heavy loading and careful post shave rinsing of the puck. Can I kill it in a week? I am hopeful.

Today, on day 25, I finished the Tea Time Willy! My 3017 is complete. 25 shaves. The Reef Point Earl Grey & Ginger aftershave scent was still there to the very end of the puck. In honor of the Blue Willy that started all this, I used Aqua Velva aftershave.

This challenge certainly has been interesting and involved a lot of great shaves. I have one more puck of Williams, but it's vintage Sartorial. I picked it up in the Saint Sue Auction a couple of years ago. I may have to pick up some more modern Williams!!

Set up a spreadsheet today with guesstimated usage of other soaps, and it appears I'm getting an average of 54 shaves per puck of Williams at the moment. Probably more now that when I started since I'm "recycling" left over lather and didn't on the first one. Should get another week on the current puck.

If this rate of usage holds, I shouldn't need soap for a long time since I bought a box of 12 sticks of Arko....

Peter

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Seriously, have used it every day and this thing is the same size as when it started. Moved it into an Old Spice mug, and it fills it to about an inch high.

AA

Here's what my vintage chilly willy looks like after shaving every day since Feb 2. In all honesty, the vintage stuff is incredible. Really, just a great product I'd put up next to just about anything. It's certainly one of the slickest soaps I've ever used. The Osage has been nice. It's not too cold. It's about Stirling MITA strength of menthol. You feel it on the 2nd pass but it doesn't hurt. Current usage rate would mean this will last 1-2 weeks more. I'll enjoy it.

Skipped again this weekend. Still, though I've been drowning the Willie and trying to use it up, I don't think it's half gone, and I'm actually getting decent shaves. Just hating the "lemony dividends" here, too.

Yesterday after 25 shaves I have finally finished old willy. I liked the scent of the soap, but will probably stick to plain Willy from now on. I feel the aftershave kinda killed the lather for me.

strop

Now half as wise
Looks like I will make it thru the month. I'm amazed the little sliver in the bottom of the tub hasn't broken apart yet! Today was 25 shaves on this grated puck. I used to use Williams a lot, but never paid any attention to how long it lasted.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Willy isn't a puck, it's a lemony-bland life sentence. :117: Like marriage to the wrong woman.

"Yet it IS slick," (he said, making lemonade ... a bitter, bitter lemonade).

AA

Daily shaves since 02/02...

Ready to break through. Wondering if the addition of Florida Water is responsible for the decent lathers or if I would have done just as well with a really well hydrated puck of Williams. I don't dislike the Williams scent, so I wouldn't soak with Florida Water just to change the scent of another puck.

Squeeze your left over lather back on the puck and let it sit til the next time you shave, this will both save on soap and eventually make the Williams semi-soft. Loads up in seconds next day, great lather, no fading away most of the time.

I have a hole in mine, but it's gonna last at least another week, and I've been using this particular one since December except for a handful of shaves.

Peter

I have been using a green Proraso tub for my straight up Willy. Today OH JOY! after rinsing all traces of lather off the puck after another fine shave I could see green wonderful green through the soap. I haven’t broken through yet, but it is thin enough to be slightly translucent.

Ersatz lemon substance, your days are numbered.

2-27-2017
The Cowboy Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
Shave #18

Pre Shave: Every Man Jack Face Scrub (in shower)
Hot Towel
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (set on 6)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Cowboy Willy
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse Alum Block and Thayers
After Shave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Non Shave Areas: LAB Series Pro LS All-In-One Face Treatment

Same routine, soaked the puck, which has been left uncovered, while I showered, dumped the water, squeezed out the brush and loaded for 30 seconds. Move to scuttle and whip for 2 to 3 minutes. No water added. Nice Stable, Slick, and cushiony lather. The Fatboy and the ASP yielded a BBS after 3 passes. Very little alum sting. I finished up with some Bootlegger's El Dorado. Good way to start the work week!

Setup 2-27-2017
Setup-2-27-2017.jpg

proxy.php
So I actually killed it the other day. Tuesday night leading into Wednesday morning for some. 10 HEAVILY LATHERED shower head shaves, more than half used a Razorock Monster, 2-3 each for a VDH boar and a Henry Cavendish pure. Pretty decent shaves each time, some amazing. The Astra didn't hold as well for longevity as Williams did. But less than a week later and I'm back to my pure Willy in a Marvy rubber mug!

Good night all.
proxy.php

Top Bottom