What's new

Single Edge vs Double Edge

Chan,

That is an Ever-Ready razor, an ancestor of the GEM. I am not familiar with it.
Is it not possible that some alterations were made when GEM took control?
It looks very much like a GEM Junior but there is a distinct difference in the Head. The GEM is hinged at the back (widest part). The Ever-Ready is hinged at the narrowest (comb part}.
I have 13 GEMs and they are all hinged at or very near the wide part of the head.
The GEM is opened by pressing a projecting tab at the centre back of the head.
It looks like the Ever-Ready is opened by grasping the two sides of the head.

Mickey

That's the Ever Ready 1924 Shovel Head; GEM also issued a 1924 - very smooth, efficient razors.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Chan,

That is an Ever-Ready razor, an ancestor of the GEM. I am not familiar with it.
Is it not possible that some alterations were made when GEM took control?
It looks very much like a GEM Junior but there is a distinct difference in the Head. The GEM is hinged at the back (widest part). The Ever-Ready is hinged at the narrowest (comb part}.
I have 13 GEMs and they are all hinged at or very near the wide part of the head.
The GEM is opened by pressing a projecting tab at the centre back of the head.
It looks like the Ever-Ready is opened by grasping the two sides of the head.

Mickey

It was sold to me as an Ever Ready 1924. I believe it is, but I'm no expert. I was more interested in GEM and E-R razors when I bought it. It is a jewel though. Described by the vendor as stunning, and stunning it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I agree that the "frame" razor is what we now know colloquially as the "Shovelhead." It's an awesome shaver, and you don't have to hold it that far away from the face, but the angle is different from what I prefer with my bullet-tip, Clog-Pruf, and Micromatic.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I need to find the 1924 and take it for a spin sometime soon. It is a cool looking razor. I bought it to use, but haven't used it.

I buy very few razors unless I intend to shave with them, but have shaved very little with any GEM or E-R razors. They didn't seem to be my cup of tea when I tried them, but I didn't allow anywhere near enough time with them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am a SE user

I don’t not like DE’s, I just prefer SE’s.

I only own two razor types.

1. 1924 Shovel heads (2 yrs)
2. A 1912? GEM Jr l recently purchased with the baton handle

I like to use as/is. I also rotate handles. It give a different comfortable feel, when shaving.

Actually today using Shovel head with the baton handle. Light weight and easy to use, comfortable grip, even when wet.

What I enjoy about SE’s

1. I like the CS and SS GEM PTFE blades. Favorite is SS. I get 3-4 shaves and then l toss them.
2. They are very audible. You can hear and feel whether or not hair is being cut. U can adjust angle accordingly
3. Easy to use, there is a learning curve
4. Good for face and head shave
5. I get comfortable shaves
6. They are very efficient razors.
7. Inexpensive and easy to find.

Keeping enjoying shaves with whatever you choose to use, razor and blade.

For me, SE’s foreverrrrrrrr!

I agree that the "frame" razor is what we now know colloquially as the "Shovelhead." It's an awesome shaver, and you don't have to hold it that far away from the face, but the angle is different from what I prefer with my bullet-tip, Clog-Pruf, and Micromatic.
kingfisher

Are you a Shovel head user?

“Frame razor”, what does that mean?

I have never heard of that term to describe the Shovel head.

The only two razor types I use:

1. Shovel head (2 yrs)
2. GEM Jr, baton handle

Please tell me more. I guess I don’t know as much as I thought I did, about the , Shovel head.

Sad, it gets little love, possibly due to its poor reputation.

Thank you

kingfisher

Are you a Shovel head user?

“Frame razor”, what does that mean?

I have never heard of that term to describe the Shovel head.

The only two razor types I use:

1. Shovel head (2 yrs)
2. GEM Jr, baton handle

Please tell me more. I guess I don’t know as much as I thought I did, about the , Shovel head.

Sad, it gets little love, possibly due to its poor reputation.

Thank you
I has and used a shovelhead in rotation for a few years, but ended up selling it. I don't know what I meant when I said 'frame' razor; since it was in quotation marks, I assumed it was in response to something somebody else posted in the thread. Dunno for sure.

I do like the shovelhead, but since late 2017 I have been mostly using open blade razors.

Well the Plus of a DE Razor is all the Blades you can buy from Price Point to Pricy. Plus Hugh selection of Blades.

Thing with SE is the amount of Blade available is small compared to DE Blades, and Price is higher per blade.

Some SE work with Half DE Blades, so you get twice as much bang for blade buck. Being klutz with arthritic hands, if I was force to break a DE Blade in two, could be blood mess,:c12:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1664151191331.png
ajpurchase:
I've found that my Supply SE razor, (nice and hefty…doesn’t slip), it seemed that I did not ‘feel and /or hear’ the razor cutting my growth (must be the ‘fins’ [NickStop™ Technology] [on this razor) .

Very strange, but highly enjoyable shave. Even after 3 passes (my shave regiment) , my face ‘feels/felt’ smoother with no irritation what’s so ever (like it’s almost ‘not’ cutting my beard).
Also, I see very little ‘white bumps’ when using a SE as opposed to a DE.
attachment.php

I would suggest switching from a DE to a SE because the chance of getting nicked/cut/slip is very slim with this razor (especially if you have ‘shaky’ hands [bear claws like me
1699397714214.png
] with the onset of getting older). Shoulder Shrug.jpg

Furthermore, the Black Label Injector Blades from Supply (Japan), works flawlessly and very sharp (I happen to get 3 CCS shaves per blade). :thumbsup:

Shaving Smiley.png "You’re Going to Shave 20,000 Times in Your Life. You deserve to love it". Supply Razor Slogan

Last edited:
Top Bottom