What's new

Single Edge vs Double Edge

I started my journey with a DE almost a year ago. Recently I have been noticing and gaining interest in the SE razors. What is the differences in use? I have never attempted one, and I am wondering if it is worth spending the money to try out. Any advice or information on what to try, or if it's worth trying would be appriciated.

I started my journey with a DE almost a year ago. Recently I have been noticing and gaining interest in the SE razors. What is the differences in use? I have never attempted one, and I am wondering if it is worth spending the money to try out. Any advice or information on what to try, or if it's worth trying would be appreciated.

I heartily recommend you give them a try.

1. They are much less expensive and require a much different approach. I found them a welcomed departure from the usual DE razors. They can be much more efficient. They can be much more aggressive and challenging.
2. Tons of experts here to guide and suggest as you devise a strategy.

3. I recommend finding a nice Schick E or G from the '30's. Good user examples are less than $15.

4. Consider vintage GEM razors from the teens and '20's less than $10.

Thanks for the advice! Where do you reccomend looking for these vintage? I have seen some on ebay in the past, but I haven't really given a hard search for them yet either.

SEs are a great alternative to DEs, or just as a change of pace.

Single edge razors use different blades than double edge razors. SE blades are thicker and stiffer than DE blades. The thicker blade gives a different feel and some would say a better shave. The SE is held at a different angle than a DE. With a DE, you’re riding the cap, while an SE you start with the head of the razor flat to your face and then lift the back up slightly off your face.

There is not as big a variety of SE blades and they cost a bit more, but they can be found in most supermarkets and chain drugstores. A quality vintage SE razor can be had for under $20 USD. Gem razors are the most common and, like DEs, vary in aggressiveness. Ever Ready is another SE that should be considered.

Personally, I feel that I get better shaves with an SE compared to a DE.

They’re relatively low cost, they’ll provide you with some variety and you’re likely to get great shaves. Take the plunge!

I see that another poster has already mentioned injectors (the other SE). A Schick injector would also be an excellent choice and many of their models can be found for $20. Look for a G model as a starter.

I prefer the new SE razors. If you don't want to invest much try the Hawk razor that Italian Barber sells for about $25.00. Or the General at Colonial Razors for $99.00. Two very nice razors.
Most everyone agrees that these type of blades are the sharpest blades available.

There was a recent post that went in depth on the difference between DE and SE blades, but not the razors, techniques or overall opinion as to which is superior...

But when twelevefret said they are cheaper than DEs I had to do a double take... fortunately I read further and do agree in regards to SE vintage razors but...

While there is one standard for DE razors blades there are at least four different kind of SE blades, each with dedicated hardware.

1) Gem style blades for Gem, Everready vintage razors and new razors from Above The Tie, Blackland and probably a few others. Look like a box cutter blade, but sharpened with a different angle for shaving and widely available at drug stores.

2) Schick injector blades for Schick SE razors. About the same sharpened shaving edge width as the Gem blades but about half the depth. This dimension makes these razors very nimble around the mouth and nose.

3) Feather Artist Club / KAI blades originally for shavettes. These blades are about 1/2" wider than DE or the other SE blades as they are designed to mimic a straight razor shave. They are loved by the SE community and it is these razors that come to mind for me when SE is mentioned. The razors are not cheap... Cobra, King Cobra, Mongoose, Ocam.

4) Feather FHS-10. Similar to the Gem blades but no extra spine. As far as I know these are only used in vintage Valet Auto Strop and modern One Blade razors.

They all shave differntly, but the one common factor is the blades are usually twice as thick as a DE blade making them stiffer at the working edge thus giving a shave more closely resembling a straight razor shave.

I love my OneBlade V1 SE, it is a work of art.

I love my Ocam O.R.E.N. as it give BBS shaves with great ease.

I love my DEs for the pure variety they provide in both razors and blades.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

There was a recent post that went in depth on the difference between DE and SE blades, but not the razors, techniques or overall opinion as to which is superior...

But when twelevefret said they are cheaper than DEs I had to do a double take... fortunately I read further and do agree in regards to SE vintage razors but...

While there is one standard for DE razors blades there are at least four different kind of SE blades, each with dedicated hardware.

1) Gem style blades for Gem, Everready vintage razors and new razors from Above The Tie, Blackland and probably a few others. Look like a box cutter blade, but sharpened with a different angle for shaving and widely available at drug stores.

2) Schick injector blades for Schick SE razors. About the same sharpened shaving edge width as the Gem blades but about half the depth. This dimension makes these razors very nimble around the mouth and nose.

3) Feather Artist Club / KAI blades originally for shavettes. These blades are about 1/2" wider than DE or the other SE blades as they are designed to mimic a straight razor shave. They are loved by the SE community and it is these razors that come to mind for me when SE is mentioned. The razors are not cheap... Cobra, King Cobra, Mongoose, Ocam.

4) Feather FHS-10. Similar to the Gem blades but no extra spine. As far as I know these are only used in vintage Valet Auto Strop and modern One Blade razors.

They all shave differntly, but the one common factor is the blades are usually twice as thick as a DE blade making them stiffer at the working edge thus giving a shave more closely resembling a straight razor shave.

I love my OneBlade V1 SE, it is a work of art.

I love my Ocam O.R.E.N. as it give BBS shaves with great ease.

I love my DEs for the pure variety they provide in both razors and blades.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Good answer. You covered the bases well.

Lots of good info above. I prefer DE razors because of the variety and the blade choices. However, SE razors have quite a following and once you try one, you may find they are suited for you.

I have SE and DE razors and used them all. However, when shaving my head I find injectors seem to work the best for me because it is easy to keep the correct angle on spots you can see in the mirror.

Thanks for all the insight everyone I appreciate it! A special thanks to @Twelvefret for finding some current sales. I think I’m going to do this thing and see how it goes!

As they say variety is the spice of life.

Personally a good se raxor using the artist club blade is hard to beat. I enjoy the Mongoose but ymmv. What I do find is the blade keeps an edge for a considerably longer period of time if you regularly flip the blade. I use mine as a daily shaver for about a month doing a 2 pass shave WTG & XTG. I find a third pass isn’t really that nescessary.

Imbetween changing blades I delve into my arsenal of de razors and randomly select one. The de blade I find lasts about a week then I am back onto the se razor with a fresh blade.

The only thing I would say, and this may be down to my technique is that despite the se razor being very efficient in 2 passes I cannot get a true BBS shave with a se razor alone.

You may need more than a Mongoose and Artist Club to decide if SE just isn't cutting it for you regarding BBS. I prefer the GEM as well as the Personna Hair Shaper blade formats. (Love my El Jefe, though)

With a DE, I've gotten 60+ shaves from one blade. See Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

With DE or SE I get a nice BBS shave every time, I won't except anything less.

What makes a SE better than DE? It's the way my skin feels after the shave. SE blades are easier on my skin, particularly the GEM SS PTFE and AC Schick Proline blades.

I don't use DE razors anymore. When you're using two of the best blades made for shaving, I don't need variety.

SE rules!

I like my SE razors, particularly my Gem Clog Pruf and my 1912. I find them a nice change of pace from DE, however I prefer DE overall. Much like I prefer badger brushes but use other varieties, or shaving soap but still use creams.

I love them all and
With a DE, I've gotten 60+ shaves from one blade. See Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

With DE or SE I get a nice BBS shave every time, I won't except anything less.

What makes a SE better than DE? It's the way my skin feels after the shave. SE blades are easier on my skin, particularly the GEM SS PTFE and AC Schick Proline blades.

I don't use DE razors anymore. When you're using two of the best blades made for shaving, I don't need variety.

SE rules!
Ill have to say that your stated experience is one motivator for developing an interest in SE.

I’ve enjoyed both GEM and Schick razors.

I love them all and

Ill have to say that your stated experience is one motivator for developing an interest in SE.

I’ve enjoyed both GEM and Schick razors.

The ATT SE1 is my weapon of stubble destruction. I've been using it pretty exclusively for almost a year now with the Schick Proline blade. The El Jefe blem wore the crown before that.

The ATT SE1 is my weapon of stubble destruction. I've been using it pretty exclusively for almost a year now with the Schick Proline blade. The El Jefe blem wore the crown before that.
I thought your razor was the black and gold GEM push button?

Top Bottom