What's new

Schick Hydro 3 and 5

After seeing the posts here were not ripping it a new one, I decided to give the Hydro 3 a try. I doesn't give me a really close shave, but it's irritation free. I've been having problems with irritation along my jawline since I started wetshaving, but the Hydro doesn't irritate my skin. I may keep it and use just for trouble areas, but it really doesn't give a good shave compared to my SE. And the "gel reservoir" really is a bit much.... leaves me feeling all slimy.

Hello, KittensAndRainbows. You wouldn't be related to a close friend of mine, KittensPuppiesAndRainbows, would you?

K.T.

I used mine twice, now have an ingrown.
Shaves seemed BBS, but grew out quickly.
As a head shaver, not nearly as good as my Sensor.
The "slime" is disconcerting, to say the least.
For my face, back to the DE thank you.
:thumbdown

Today's Hydro 3 shave will probably be the last, although I do have one unused cartridge. Maybe on some fairly short future trip. I used the first one for 6 shaves in 5 days, with a touch-up shave one evening. It might be good for a few more, but I don't plan to try at this time. My own opinions, yes, obviously YMMV.
  • Reasonably close shave. Not very long lasting, but will probably get most men through the day.
  • Works best with a thin, slick, cream like Cremo or Neutrogena.
  • No irritation. Much better than Fusion in that regard.
  • Hard to get under the nose. The five blade version does have a trimmer blade which might help.
  • Two passes gets about as close overall as you're going to get, but I still had to do some touch-up. I don't really end up saving significant time over an injector, maybe not any time.
  • The goop strip doesn't seem to do any harm, and isn't as distracting to me as it apparently is to some.

On the whole, even if the cost per shave turned out to be the same as Injectors/SE/DE, I'd stick with the classic razors, which give me a better end result for a minor investment in learning the technique. As cartridge razors go, though, this is pretty good.

I just want to know how in the heck are you guys getting more than 3 or 4 shaves out of these things? I used a mach 3 for years and after 3 shaves....it wacked my face like a weed eater...

That's strange, I was getting 8 nice shaves with one Mach3 cartridge, and I have a very tough beard. :001_huh:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm going to try to squeeze one more shave out of this thing to see if I can get 2 weeks worth of shaves.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
#14 is smooth and irritation free. Took a LOT more blade buffing and left some tricky areas a little stubbly.

Gotta run.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I hit the wall at #15. It was still relatively smooth, but not nearly as smooth as I was getting and the Aqua Velva burned pretty good afterwards.

So there you have it. I can get 2 weeks worth of shaves from one Schick Hydro 3 cartridge.

Aside from getting two weeks worth of shaves, I never really got used to the handle. It's a nice handle as far as cartridges go, but I am used to doing J-hooks with a round handle on my 40's Superspeed and the Hydro was just a little awkward.

I was able to get the intro kit, razor plus two cartridges, for 2.99 after RiteAid rebate. (Honey did that check come yet?! Oh well.)

Some background: I am 58 yo, moderate beard. Shave daily. Clean shaven.

Prior to testing the Hydro 3 (H-3) the Mach 3 has been my favorite cartridge as it delivers the best over all shave. Sensor is second best of the Gillettes with a sacrifice of smoothness for maneuverability. The Fusion 5 is third based on its general lack of feel and what I term an "artificial smoothness", a smooth feeling shave that only lasts half the day, compared to Mach 3 and certainly to a DE.

Lately I have moved back toward DE's but still wanted to try the Shick as a back up and because someone said it was better than the Mach 3. Also I shave my legs in the shower with a cartridge (cyclist).

Anyway, the feel of the razor is a little clunky. The cartridges clicks audibly when it returns into neutral postion after articulating. The razor handle is bright with primary blue, white and chorme, giving it a toy-like look. The white cartidge is thick and boxy compared to the Mach 3.

The hyphenated aloe bars are generous, producing visible strings of goopy aloe even under by KBS shaving soap (brush on face 1 minute lather build-up in mug and on face, 2 minutes, total). I find I can shave my legs with this in the shower even without soap. But it is still better to soap up.

The smoothness quality and maneuverability are both slightly superior to the Mach 3. I found the H-3 to be a highly satisfying shave that allows a more complete reduction of hard-to-reach whiskers than my DE's. The shave is not as close or long-lasting on the frontal areas such as chin, cheeks and upper lip, though, compared to the DE.

The wire blade system that keeps the three edges and bay works well. You can apply a lot of pressure of a fast shave with H-3, even moreso than the Mach 3. The #Gillette Slide maneuver with the H-3 is more non-threatening that with any other razor.

The aloe bar dries up after about six shaves. Although there is some aloe left when the bars are worn to below the main surface. At that point it funcitons about equal to a brand new Mach 3 lube strip.

Overall, I would now rate the Schick Hydro 3 as the number one cartridge back up for the serious shaver and the best three cartridge system on the market today.

It is also the best value, as the blades are currently cheaper than the Mach 3as Schick is apparently trying to grab market share from Gillette (hasn't it always been thus?).

Four stars for the Schick Hydro 3. Buy one today and add it to your den.

-=mojo

Shave #7 today with the same Schick Hydro 3 cartridge.

Schick Hydro 3 (6)
Omega Boar Brush
Beechum era Williams
Witch Hazel
Brut Revolution AS

The Hydro 3 is still going strong. Still gave me a close, comfortable shave. No irritation, no weepers.

Clearly, it's not as fun as my other razors, but I still enjoy using it on occasion.

7 shaves from one cartridge is pretty acceptable in my eyes, so I am not sure how eager I will be to stretch this particular cartridge to it's limits. :lol:

P.S. I lathered the Beechum Williams on the puck, and it produced a rich, wonderful lather. Even the Beechum era Williams was great stuff!!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Showered and shaved at a truck stop just outside San Antonio, TX and my wife asked how my shave was. I said, "Oh... Pretty good. I used the Schick Hydro again."

So it got me thinking about how despite the fact that I had a fantasticly close shave it just wasn't as satisfying as my DE. It is still the best cartridge razor I have ever used, but I am missing my Superspeed.

I had another shave with my Hydro 5. I used it exactly for what I keep it in my rotation for: a needed shave with very little time.

It was not as nice a shave as I normally get from the Hydro; I was very rushed and got some light irritation in spots as I speed-buffed some problem areas. Not a fault of the razor, just that I was so rushed. If I had tried this with a DE in the time that I had, I would have scraped my face off. So the Hydro worked as intended.

I got a near BBS with slight irritation in some spots. Not bad. But I noticed more than ever that the quality of BBS from the Hydro is different than the BBS I get from my DEs.

I had described before that while I can get a great BBS from the Hydro, I always get much smoother, cleaner feeling BBSs from my DEs. It sounds weird, but there are differences in BBSs, and the Hydro proved it to me.

How to describe the difference? It seems the BBS I get from the Hydro feels more textured, like my skin has a very fine bumpiness to it. I surmise that the Hydro, while cutting close enough for BBS, is cutting my whiskers at a different angle than how my DEs cut. The top of the hair is under the surface of the skin, but the angle of the cut makes the hair more "pokey." So when I run my hand over my face, I feel BBS, but I also feel some texture to my skin. It's BBS, but doesn't feel as smooth and clean as DE.

Given that the Hydro fills the "need to shave fast, holy-by-golly!" slot in my rotation very well, however, I'm not complaining too much.

K.T.

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Used my Superspeed today and can tell I really got spoiled by the easy shaves with the Hydro. Trimming around my goatee and sideburns was much easier, but the difficult spot on my neck reminded me of how careful I need to be in this area.

I got a hydro 3 and 5 on sale, i don't know if anyone noticed on the 5 that the lubrication head moves totally out of they way to get to tighter areas. I see the review says it has a flick to open top, where open exposes the trimmer. I don't see that on my hydro 5.

Just picked up a hydro 3 at the drug store. Can't wait to give it a shot tomorrow.

Just not sure what soap / cream to use. :)
Lately, I've been pounding through my Blenheim Bouquet soap, but I think it's time to go with something a bit different... perhaps I'll dig out my Proraso or Art of Shaving creams and go that way.

I got a hydro 3 and 5 on sale, i don't know if anyone noticed on the 5 that the lubrication head moves totally out of they way to get to tighter areas. I see the review says it has a flick to open top, where open exposes the trimmer. I don't see that on my hydro 5.

i reread this and poorly wrote this up. I meant that i can flick open the top and expose all 5 blades for touch-ups like under the nose and sideburns, but there is no additional blade to do "detail" trimming like the gillette.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
i reread this and poorly wrote this up. I meant that i can flick open the top and expose all 5 blades for touch-ups like under the nose and sideburns, but there is no additional blade to do "detail" trimming like the gillette.

I still had to use the DE for that.

Top Bottom