What's new

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 @ Wal-Mart

I don't think we are killing personna. I did buy 2 pks of the wilkinsons to try. I also advised my neighborhood grocer that personna might be a brand they could bring in and not compete with walmart & target. I spoke with a manager, sent an EM and mailed them a letter. I also got several of my family and freinds that hate walmart to at least mention it at the store manager and most promised to send an em. Smaller venues are always looking for a way to beat wally. I am also working on a local wine and cigar shop to think about carrying some stuff. I think as much as it sucks you have to buy a pack of over priced blades or a mall priced soap every now and then to ensure that interest is there!

Jay

You're all slowly putting the death nail into Gem/Personna. Don't buy this Schick in disguise. If they don't move off of Mall-Wart's shelves, they will kick 'em to the curb and bring back Personna.

I think there are enough of grocery and drug stores that carry labeled Personnas or their own label of Personnas that they still have a large market.

I used the Tech 3 his morning on my noggin. Overall it worked pretty good, much better for me than the Hydro 3 but not quite as good as the Personna Magnum M5. I'll use it a few more times to see how it holds up.

I think there are enough of grocery and drug stores that carry labeled Personnas or their own label of Personnas that they still have a large market.

That market is a thimble compared to being in every WM store in the U.S., even smaller compared to every WM store in the world.

Shaves 2 and 3 with the Tech 3:

Shave 2:

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3
Omega Boar Brush
TOBS Lavender SC
Generic Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Shave 3

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3
Omega Boar Brush
Vintage Seaforth Shaving Soap
Generic Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

After 3 shaves, the lube strip is starting to settle down, and is not producing quite as much slimy goo. :thumbup1:

Overall, I think this is a good quality cartridge razor, but I would rather use a Trac II/Atra if a cartridge razor was going to be my primary weapon of choice.

Shaves 4 and 5 with the Tech 3:

Shave #4

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3
Omega Boar Brush
Vintage Seaforth Shaving Soap
Generic Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Shave #5

Wilkinson Sword Tech 3
Omega Boar Brush
Saint Charles Shave Bubblegum Shaving Soap
Generic Witch Hazel
Aqua Velva Ice Sport

So after 5 shaves, I feel I can give a better opinion on the Tech 3. Overall this is a very nice cartridge razor, and the slimy goo factory is far less than that of the Hydro (which I recently sold off, as the goo factor is just not something I want to deal with). I am not convinced the shave is any better than that of the Trac II/ Atra. The extra blade is largely unnecessary.

If you are someone who likes the Mach 3, you would likely like this razor as well. Nice smooth shaves, with a minimal amount of irritation. $1.2 per cartridge (which should last about a week) is also pretty economical.

On a related note, the lather from the Saint Charles Shave soap was phenomenal. Some of the best lather I have ever gotten!!

Last edited:
Plenty aftermarket ones available online though. :tongue_sm
Yeah, I got a couple Atra razors from another member here recently (thanks Jesse!). I'm actually just looking for a case or tray, so I'm not just tossing the razor unceremoniously in a cabinet or drawer without any protection for the blades. I think it's best to always use protection.

The new ones (Gillette Vector?) are cheap plastic and I don't think they come with a case or tray.

I tried the Wilkinson Sword Trac/ Atra Carts on a pivot handle that I have for today's shave. I have to say they are plenty sharp, and I got a good shave. $3.54 for a 10 pack is a good price compared to $13.49 for the original Gillette Atra's. Now the only question is longevity, and can I get a week out of it? I also like the Dollar General Atra compatible carts that go for $1.25 for a 6 pack, but I only get two good shaves from them before they nick. At a little over .20 cents a piece, .10 cents a shave is commensurate with a DE blade in economy. I will not miss the Personna disposables and carts as sold by Wal-Mart. They just didn't work for me, and were rough as a cob. However, I know some loved Personna cartridges. I did hear that the Personna Atra's were better than the Personna Trac (Twin) carts, but one would think that they would be very similar in performance.

I've used the Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 on my head, just this morning.
Cannot say it was the greatest shave I've had, but it was decent. And I have a sunburn on my head today.. So conditions weren't optimal.

Tech 3 has a nice weighted feel, being made of chrome-finished metal and black rubber. Simple style, which I appreciate greatly, no gaudy adolescent/hip colors. Nice gripability due to the rubber.

The real story here is, I have been pining for a Wilkinson Sword razor for over a decade. I used to use them in college (I had a nice twin-blade stem in simple black plastic I bought for $1 at a mom-n-pop apothecary). Best shaves I've ever achieved. The shape and texture of that cheap old stem was perfect for my hands. The cartridges were the same as schick's, and made by the same parent company. However, I ran side-by-side trials with each and believe the Wilkinson Sword carts were far and away superior in both sharpness and longevity. (Although these days I wonder if perhaps I dried the WS carts better and thus enhanced their longevity?)

At some point I lost that old stem and never found it's equivalent. I have griped for years about this. And I still search shelves occasionally for a Wilkinson Sword, but the brand simply disappeared from my corner of the USA. I have even tried finding a copy of that old razor stem on eBay, hoping perhaps for a UK offering, but alas with no joy. Yet at long last, over this past weekend my wife spotted the brand at Wallyworld and (bless her) brought it home for me. Happy Day!

The fact that Wilkinson Sword products are on local shelves again is a GREAT JOY to me.
And I am very happy to note that the cartridges for this Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 are reportedly (on the packaging) made in the USA. Hurray!

The Wilkinson Sword blade for the Atra/Trac ll are made in China!! Thats the reason Wal-Mart is doing away with the Personna line because they are cheaper to sell.

The Wilkinson Sword blade for the Atra/Trac ll are made in China!! Thats the reason Wal-Mart is doing away with the Personna line because they are cheaper to sell.

Yeah lets ignore the following facts because ONE of the Wilkinson products was made in China...

1. Wal-Mart is a business... their primary goal is to make as much profit as possible.
2. ASR lost their contract with Wal-Mart and Energizer stepped in with a better deal.
3. The Tech 3 carts are made in USA and the DE blades are made in Germany.

You can still pick up the Personna stuff at nearly the same price as Wal-Mart direct from their website with free shipping.

Last edited:
I feel like the Wilk DE blade now being sold by WM is a Schick in disguise.
I also think that there are Schick faces and Not Schick faces. I am in the latter group. I could get several good shaves from the WM Personna, not one from the current blades.
If the Tech 3 is actually a Schick, I am not going to try it.

i use to use this razor before i moved to DE, i still consider it one of the best cartrige razors around.

Top Bottom